[REMOVE ADS]

Funny Girl medley

Does anyone know if the Funny Girl medley they did on Sullivan was part of their live act? We know they also recorded the medley for TCB but was cut, so that made me wonder if they were doing it in their shows at the time as well? I was also wondering if Flo was still in the group would "People" have been recorded as a duet between her and Diana/Mary for the Funny Girl album, though I have my doubts being that the group was at this point phasing Diana into a soloist.

Great question. While I don’t know the answer I would speculate that it probably didn’t get into the live shows. After being released in Aug it was almost immediately obvious by it’s dismal chart performance that this would NOT be a hit.

It is quite an effort to incorporate new material into the act

According to Cindy's recollection several years ago... The "Funny Girl" material never made it to their live shows [[with Diana Ross) although she really loved it and wished it had.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    According to Cindy's recollection several years ago... The "Funny Girl" material never made it to their live shows [[with Diana Ross) although she really loved it and wished it had.
    I have always been disappointed that only the “hits” could be performed live or on TV. Ross has countless brilliant non-hits that fans would salivate to hear live. She only does the same old songs live and on TV. Being a classic act, she has a huge catalog with which to tap into, and by doing so would motivate the general public to explore her vast catalog. She should tour in smaller venues with an act of non hits and album cuts or do a once in a lifetime one-time performance. Her catalog would explode.

Fifteen years ago Ross was on TV and sang Baby Love. My sister screamed, “ Oh my God, she is still singing Baby Love!!” I had to agree.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 08-08-2020 at 03:43 PM.

I always wondered this too, so thanks to George for his response. Does anyone know if there were any other songs the group did live in ‘68 or ‘69 that weren’t on either of the live albums, Talk of the Town or Farewell, Captured Live?

TOTT included Queen of the House, You're Nobody and Unchained Melody during their Symphony medley. There also would most likely have been some sort of "group introduction" segment

Farewell had You're Nobody but it was also cut from the recording. and Sunshine went on MUCH MUCH longer with many more stars singing along

I've wondered what other songs from the tv appearances ever made it into their shows:

Let there be love - sung with Andy Williams and in their 66 Roostertail show. but gone by 67 Copa.

More - Sullivan and then in their show for quite some time

My favorite things - popped up in Copa 67 and also in Dec Sullivan

Millie/Rose/Mame - Sullivan and then in the show from spring 67 through spring 68 or so at TOTT

Funny Girl - sullivan, prepped for TCB and that's it? but then Coronet Man was on Bob Hope

what about the other special tv material?

Fats Waller - Sullivan and that's it

Sam Cooke medley - in their show for years but other than Shake on Ready/Steady/Go, did they ever do it on tv?

Nothing can stop us now - Jean's first tv appearance, Mary said they used in their shows but does anyone have a bootleg to confirm? anyone remember seeing it live?

Irving Berlin material - given this was a special for his bday, i'm assuming Always and the medley were just used on the tv show

i get a kick/got you under my skin - sullivan only

Enjoy Yourself - a fun song in their Copa 65 show. was it used prior or post? even on stage?

Sup_fan, Let there be love was in the Copa '67 show. I have a bootleg of the full show. The show included on the recent HDH expanded edition was a trimmed version of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Sup_fan, Let there be love was in the Copa '67 show. I have a bootleg of the full show. The show included on the recent HDH expanded edition was a trimmed version of the show.
    would love to hear it!

Motown missed the mark by not releasing, at very least, a compilation of TV appearances, including, but not limited to, the songs from Tarzan, the Fats Waller and Irving Berlin medleys and additional Hollywood Palace segments, such as the Fred & Ginger medley with Sammy Davis, Jr. and the Ethel Waters duet. [[Too, of course, there were additional medleys with the group and Sammy Davis, Jr. and The Andrews Sisters and with Tennessee Ernie Ford.) Tribute albums to Irving Berlin and Fats Waller would seem to have been natural choices, following the Rodgers & Hart and Sam Cooke examples, and these might have been appreciated and expected far more than the Funny Girl material; after all, I Am Woman had appeared on the 1965 Copa album and People had been included in some of their live appearances since 1964, and by 1968, it was time to try something fresh and new.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Motown missed the mark by not releasing, at very least, a compilation of TV appearances, including, but not limited to, the songs from Tarzan, the Fats Waller and Irving Berlin medleys and additional Hollywood Palace segments, such as the Fred & Ginger medley with Sammy Davis, Jr. and the Ethel Waters duet. [[Too, of course, there were additional medleys with the group and Sammy Davis, Jr. and The Andrews Sisters and with Tennessee Ernie Ford.) Tribute albums to Irving Berlin and Fats Waller would seem to have been natural choices, following the Rodgers & Hart and Sam Cooke examples, and these might have been appreciated and expected far more than the Funny Girl material; after all, I Am Woman had appeared on the 1965 Copa album and People had been included in some of their live appearances since 1964, and by 1968, it was time to try something fresh and new.
    How great would that be? My feeling is that the clearance hurdles would have been a nightmare, however.

i also think it was a bit of a "been there, done that" issue. they did 2 spotlight albums on songs books - R&H and S Cooke. Gordy was always looking for something new to expose the girls and the public to. So doing a Fats Waller or Irving Berlin collection would have been lovely but not really all that new. Disney was at least new but i think the results are fine but not to the level of R&H

taking on an entire score to a show would mean that the girls would be telling the story of the show through song. Diana would be the lead character and then going through all of the emotions associated with that role. I just don't think FG is all that great of a show. Unfortunately by 68 musicals were starting to struggle. Mame, Paint Your Wagon, Dr Doolittle, etc. None of these performed to the level of studio expectations.

They could have gone back and selected an older show but that might have come off as too dated. Plus FG is very heavily focused on a woman and 1 woman at that. it's not as much of an ensemble experience as Music Man, West Side Story or South Pacific.