[REMOVE ADS]

Rita Ross defeated for Detroit 5th District Representative

I wonder what the result MIGHT have been if Miss Ross came to Detroit and campaign for her younger sister. This was really surprising; I expected to see her be victorious.

In the 5th House District, state Rep. Cynthia Johnson, D-Detroit, defeated her main challenger, Rita Ross of Detroit, the youngest sister of Motown great Diana Ross, 65% to 28%, in a three-candidate race, with all precincts reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I wonder what the result MIGHT have been if Miss Ross came to Detroit and campaign for her younger sister. This was really surprising; I expected to see her be victorious.

In the 5th House District, state Rep. Cynthia Johnson, D-Detroit, defeated her main challenger, Rita Ross of Detroit, the youngest sister of Motown great Diana Ross, 65% to 28%, in a three-candidate race, with all precincts reporting.
    that was not even close. This is her second defeat. The Ross name does not swing voters, so a DR appearance probably would not have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    that was not even close. This is her second defeat. The Ross name does not swing voters, so a DR appearance probably would not have helped.
    Just as the attempt by a certain political party to push a celebrity's name to be placed on the ballot in a few states out west in order to split the vote in favor of their party will not work.

That campaign's, not Rita's but the other one, is a total flop and possibly fraudulent.

Diane didn't help campaign for Rita in her first race either.

Yes but did Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes but did Diana?
    I was wondering the same thing. [[jobeterob, I think I know where you were going in your question....ha ha)

Diana endorsed Rita via social media.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes but did Diana?
    She endorsed online. But not in person.

I find it sort of ridiculous that people expected Diana to come through for her sister and to be some sort of active presence in her sister's campaign. Has anyone even thought about the fact that maybe her sister didn't want Diana to get actively involved? Were we expecting Diana to live out those scenes from Mahogany and start drawing up signs and a jingle? Also, should we be voting for those who run for public office, simply because their sibling is famous and campaigned on their behalf? I don't know anything about Rita Ross' platform, and I wish her well, but to be having this kind of expectation that she should have won because of her famous family, or that Diana should have come through for her...it's unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I find it sort of ridiculous that people expected Diana to come through for her sister and to be some sort of active presence in her sister's campaign. Has anyone even thought about the fact that maybe her sister didn't want Diana to get actively involved? Were we expecting Diana to live out those scenes from Mahogany and start drawing up signs and a jingle? Also, should we be voting for those who run for public office, simply because their sibling is famous and campaigned on their behalf? I don't know anything about Rita Ross' platform, and I wish her well, but to be having this kind of expectation that she should have won because of her famous family, or that Diana should have come through for her...it's unfair.
    But youve got to consider the miserable source it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Diane didn't help campaign for Rita in her first race either.
    https://youtu.be/S8rCy173y7Y