[REMOVE ADS]

Motown 30 TV special! [[TRIGGER WARNING!!! Hosted by Robert Townsend)

It seems to be more about Black music in general, rather than Motown. Thought some who missed it the first time might want to see it. I was a baby when it was first broadcast, so I definitely missed it then.

Just my opinion but this is even worse than the Motown 25. Gladys Knight singing wind beneath my wings??? What did that song had to do with Motown? The only high lights were the acknowledgement of Mary Wells in the audience and the 2 or 3 minutes we got to see the Temps and 4 Tops. Like jboy88 I was pretty young, 3 or 4 years. What happened that so few Motown artist were in attendance? And why hardly any Motown songs? They could have at least other artist sing the Motown songs as tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Just my opinion but this is even worse than the Motown 25. Gladys Knight singing wind beneath my wings??? What did that song had to do with Motown? The only high lights were the acknowledgement of Mary Wells in the audience and the 2 or 3 minutes we got to see the Temps and 4 Tops. Like jboy88 I was pretty young, 3 or 4 years. What happened that so few Motown artist were in attendance? And why hardly any Motown songs? They could have at least other artist sing the Motown songs as tribute.
    1000% percent agreed! Of all the Motown specials I’ve seen, this was the LEAST Motowny! And who’s idea was it to have Michael Bolton sing Marvin & Tammi?! I guess Michael McDonald was busy, otherwise he would have been the obvious choice if Patti was involved.

So many Motown artists and those who were still alive then are missing. Martha, Gladys Horton, all the Supremes [[except Florence), Syreeta, Kim Weston..... and many more. Maybe they weren't willing to join or were to busy for this event. Hardly any Motown songs were played so why call it a Motown 30 special.

Saw a duet of Kim and Edwin Starr singing it takes two in London [[youtube again) also in 1990 I think. Would have been much better to have that in the show. But I think several Motown artist were performing in that same show in London which might explain their absence. I don't know the dates so will need to look that up. No offence to Patti but I think they should have had someone else on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Saw a duet of Kim and Edwin Starr singing it takes two in London [[youtube again) also in 1990 I think. Would have been much better to have that in the show. But I think several Motown artist were performing in that same show in London which might explain their absence. I don't know the dates so will need to look that up. No offence to Patti but I think they should have had someone else on the show.
    I think the logic behind booking Patti was her Emmy nod for "Motown Returns to the Apollo." Must have been a case of "stick-with-what-works."

I enjoyed this special. Even though it was titled MOTOWN 30, the aim was to highlight the contribution of African-Americans to entertainment. So it is true that most of the acts had no connection to Motown.

Even still, I thought the performances of Gladys, Terrence Trent D'Arby, Patti and Michael Bolton, and the tribute to Mary Wells were very well done. And if you look closely during the finale, you can see Jean, Scherrie, and Lynda of the FLOS amongst the acts. I have no idea if they performed at all during the show.

Reese you've got very good eyes!!! I only just saw them when you mentioned it and had to watch the last bit again. Maybe they cut bits and pieces of the whole show.

IMO, The Temptations and Four Tops “rematch” was the best part and the Townsend sketch that preceded it, was cute too. I’m sure many squabbles have started over which group was better.
    Last edited by jboy88; 08-04-2020 at 06:47 PM.

There was to be a Motortown Revue segment with artists singing snippets of some of their hits. Jean, Scherrie and Lynda were invited and the plan was to hear a piece of "Up The Ladder" and "Stoned Love." As I recall the show ran long and it was cut [[or shortened. I'd have to watch again). The ladies were disappointed but still appreciated being invited. They had a nice chat with Suzanne and it was great seeing them backstage reminiscing with Smokey, Stevie and Temps etc. Especially Jean who hadn't seen some in quite a while.