[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Are you saying that Motown made a dedicated mono mix specifically for the UK/Euro market? Or that they did a better fold for the UK market?
    Motown issued a DIFFERENT stereo master to the UK to be used for their mono master and yes it was folded in the UK. We didn't want to use the US fold of the stereo album. It had to be something special. I have to applaud the folks at Real Gone for persisting that the unique master for the UK be found. So when listening to the mono version on the new CD you can hear subtle differences [[and not so subtle... the long version of "People.") I also have to thank friends in the UK who sent me vinyl rips of their LPs so I could be absolutely sure we got it right.

#5 R & B
    #36 CDs & Vinyl

By George, I think you have a hit on your hands!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    The story of the back up vocals is explained in much more detail in the essay and Q&A with Jule Styne. Mary and Cindy are on the 1968 release. There were additional voices added [[The Andantes and Blackberries) for a fuller sound sometimes in addition to their voices and sometimes replacing them and sometimes you're only hearing Mary and Cindy even on the 68 release. The new mix gives you a chance to hear the record by the three Supremes. On a few tracks if there were no Mary and Cindy vocals we didn't use any background at all. And you've got the original album in mono and stereo. Certainly choose whatever mix you prefer.
    Thank you George

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    If you search this forum there was a thread that discussed all your questions and more. This was around the time of the digital release of this album.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look up the thread.

I guess it's safe to say that any new expanded or special editions from Motown are not going to be released by Universal/Motown themselves? It seems they are licensing these out to boutique labels like RealGone music.

Not a complaint, just a curious observation. I'll take the product any way I can get it. These releases are pretty much definitive.

I am really looking forward to a "Reflections" release, although I still believe they should have released that for its 50th anniversary. Missed opportunities....

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I guess it's safe to say that any new expanded or special editions from Motown are not going to be released by Universal/Motown themselves? It seems they are licensing these out to boutique labels like RealGone music.

Not a complaint, just a curious observation. I'll take the product any way I can get it. These releases are pretty much definitive.

I am really looking forward to a "Reflections" release, although I still believe they should have released that for its 50th anniversary. Missed opportunities....
    i was wondering the same thing. Maybe part of the delay in things is that Universal is no longer interested in releasing these cd sets themselves. so trying to organize and set things up for another group to do so.

Thanks for all the info George. I am very happy that Funny Girl is finally coming out on CD, and as a deluxe! Hoping to order it from Amazon UK, since the US one does not ship top my country.

I really hope that Ross´78, Reflections, Baby It´s Me and Sings Songs From The Wiz are included in the batch of the other five. In any case, I am just thrilled to see more physical deluxe editions coming out!

We are so happy that the good folks at Real Gone Music are interested in putting our expanded/ultimate editions out on CD. We know "Funny Girl" might not have been first choice for a lot of fans. I'm glad some are happy about it and grateful that it is selling [[#17 Amazon R&B). Universal has to clear the tracks for each project. We submitted 6 expanded editions to be approved. Then we waited [[and waited) then got notice that "Funny Girl" was approved so we went for it, no questions asked. It's not like we were going to say no! So you see, we don't have the final say on what the next release is. We are all hoping that another [[whatever it is) gets a green light soon. We've all been anxious and I'm happy that you all have stayed interested. I think this is a great release. I love the Diana, Mary, Cindy mix of the whole album. There are 13 tracks that weren't on the digital release in 2015 including the UK master for the mono album. There was a white label mono US promo that was a fold of our released stereo album so we didn't use that one. We [[and by we I mean Andy) went to great lengths to get the UK master which was not the same as our US. It wasn't easy with the UK offices closed. This is also the first time we've had a 32 page full color booklet! It includes additional essays and photos. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I hope you like it and I ain't too proud to say, I hope everyone buys it!
    SOLD. You sold me. I was on the fence, but now I'm just fallen off of it on the side of MUST HAVE. I appreciate too that you outlined just what goes on with getting these approved and released. The fact that it's "Funny Girl" that was approved is very interesting and whatever the reasoning behind it, well now, I just may buy two. No, I WILL buy two of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Thanks for all the info George. I am very happy that Funny Girl is finally coming out on CD, and as a deluxe! Hoping to order it from Amazon UK, since the US one does not ship top my country.

I really hope that Ross´78, Reflections, Baby It´s Me and Sings Songs From The Wiz are included in the batch of the other five. In any case, I am just thrilled to see more physical deluxe editions coming out!
    Hopefully Amazon UK will be selling soon. I had forgotten all about Ross 78....

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    SOLD. You sold me. I was on the fence, but now I'm just fallen off of it on the side of MUST HAVE. I appreciate too that you outlined just what goes on with getting these approved and released. The fact that it's "Funny Girl" that was approved is very interesting and whatever the reasoning behind it, well now, I just may buy two. No, I WILL buy two of 'em.
    Thank you for the kind words. It's much appreciated

Thank you George ..Andy..Kevin and team.
    I'm also sold. Looking forward to hearing this

Thank you for the kind words. It's much appreciated
    See the power you have? I went from 3% interest to "I'm All In!" I'm still grateful for those Marvelettes box sets. You guys really were amazing about asking our input on things, especially the differences in the mono/stereo version of The Pink Album. That meant a lot to me and now knowing the same care is built in to the Funny Girl set, I gotta support all that hard work. I'm actually now very excited about hearing this album.

Have the digital download and it's great not to have to strain to read the booklet as it can be viewed on the PC. Will deffo buy the CD. Well done and thanks all - something exciting to look forward to.

Ordered from the RG website. Shipping to Holland 10 $ but still cheaper than ordering from the Amazon US website at the moment. Lets see how long it will take to get here....

I'm really pleased that this is now being issued on CD. Until George wrote about the differences in the versions between UK and US, I had no idea there were any.

George and Andy - many thanks for the information and I appreciate all that you both do for us.

I totally agree! To me, the worst thing would be to find out the vaults are empty! As long as we know there's still some hidden treasures, we can hope we get to hear them!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I totally agree! To me, the worst thing would be to find out the vaults are empty! As long as we know there's still some hidden treasures, we can hope we get to hear them!
    I feel the same way and it helps greatly with my frustration with the expanded release schedule. I was kind of hoping that they would be releasing more things because of Covid and people being stuck home might be more apt to Purchase music, but evidently that’s not the case.

Funny girl is by far my least favorite Supremes album, even though I love the score, and I love Diana Ross and the Supremes, the project just doesn’t work for me. That being said, I have ordered two copies one for myself that will rarely get played and one as a gift to someone who will rarely play it but still probably play more than I will - [[he wouldn’t ordinarily have bought it,) because I want to be as supportive as possible.

keep nagging them, George! Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help!

I was just watching a performance on YouTube of the ladies performing "Cornet Man". From reading the YouTuber's description and many of the comments, it is suggested that Barbra Streisand was unhappy that this project was coming into fruition back in 1968. Through my research, I can find no statements regarding whether Barbara liked it or not or whether she approved of it or not. Can someone direct me to where I might find such documentation other than "I read it somewhere"? Thanks

i've not seen an actual quote from Barbra or a magazine article about it.

In Call Her Miss Ross, Randy mentions that Barbra wasn't pleased and said something like "the world doesn't need two Barbra Streisands!"

His book is quite well annotated. i'm not sure of the source he cites with this story but you could check there

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've not seen an actual quote from Barbra or a magazine article about it.

In Call Her Miss Ross, Randy mentions that Barbra wasn't pleased and said something like "the world doesn't need two Barbra Streisands!"

His book is quite well annotated. i'm not sure of the source he cites with this story but you could check there
    Hey, thanks. I do have that book and I will be checking for those references. EDIT: I just found that reference on pages 198-199. Randy wrote, "Barbra Streisand reported said of Diana" and then goes on to 'quote her' along with making a statement that she was upset that Gordy had released their album around the same time as her movie. Randy does have an outstanding bibliography of sources; however, I can't pinpoint which one goes with his reference to Barbra Streisand and Funny Girl.
    Last edited by jobucats; 08-10-2020 at 12:05 PM.

let me know what you find!

Funny Girl huh...and in who's lifetime will Reflections, Love Child, Sunshine and Cream Of The Crop show up. Not to mention TCB, GIT, Farewell and the few early tribute albums. A release every couple years. I for one have lost faith. I see the Jimmy Webb CD on amazon and think how insane that was. The original Supremes could have been done years ago. The fans for these are dwindling.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Hey, thanks. I do have that book and I will be checking for those references. EDIT: I just found that reference on pages 198-199. Randy wrote, "Barbra Streisand reported said of Diana" and then goes on to 'quote her' along with making a statement that she was upset that Gordy had released their album around the same time as her movie. Randy does have an outstanding bibliography of sources; however, I can't pinpoint which one goes with his reference to Barbra Streisand and Funny Girl.
    Does anyone know if Diana and Barbra have ever met? Surely they ran/run in overlapping circles and Babs and Brolin were at the Legends Ball. I’d be curious...

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Does anyone know if Diana and Barbra have ever met? Surely they ran/run in overlapping circles and Babs and Brolin were at the Legends Ball. I’d be curious...
    In the 70’s, Ross had a party in her California home for Mick Jagger and the Stones. The guest list was tight and enforced. Streisand showed up with friends who were not on the guest list, and the friends were refused entry. Streisand left with her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Funny Girl huh...and in who's lifetime will Reflections, Love Child, Sunshine and Cream Of The Crop show up. Not to mention TCB, GIT, Farewell and the few early tribute albums. A release every couple years. I for one have lost faith. I see the Jimmy Webb CD on amazon and think how insane that was. The original Supremes could have been done years ago. The fans for these are dwindling.
    keep in mind George and Andy may or may not have much say in what gets the green light. if i had my choice, i too might pick something else from the vaults. But this does at least have some additional unreleased content so there is some value there. plus the digital book is said to be different

if this release shows strong sales, that could impact future releases. if this release does NOT have strong sales, that too could impact future releases

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    In the 70’s, Ross had a party in her California home for Mick Jagger and the Stones. The guest list was tight and enforced. Streisand showed up with friends who were not on the guest list, and the friends were refused entry. Streisand left with her friends.
    Source please! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Source please! Thank you!
    my memory. Lol

Diana’s husband was involved in the Stones management. The party was in all the papers, as was Streisand’s rather angry exit.

Diana n Barbara have met.
    Both have been to see each other's shows

Just ordered mine from RGM. Thanks George, Andy and everyone involved in bringing
    this to light. Keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    keep in mind George and Andy may or may not have much say in what gets the green light. if i had my choice, i too might pick something else from the vaults. But this does at least have some additional unreleased content so there is some value there. plus the digital book is said to be different

if this release shows strong sales, that could impact future releases. if this release does NOT have strong sales, that too could impact future releases
    I understand but it's been a slow boat to China. I do appreciate George and Andy's work along with all involved. It's just been so frustrating when you see a hundred re-issues of What's Going On, Beatles all over the place [[which is a good thing), and then there's Elvis. It seems The Supremes somehow lost their status in the history of music. I see so many "odd" releases from Real Gone and other labels which leave you scratching your head. But I know the rest of you are as eager as I am to actually see these expanded editions a bit quicker???

I understand but it's been a slow boat to China. I do appreciate George and Andy's work along with all involved. It's just been so frustrating when you see a hundred re-issues of What's Going On, Beatles all over the place [[which is a good thing), and then there's Elvis. It seems The Supremes somehow lost their status in the history of music. I see so many "odd" releases from Real Gone and other labels which leave you scratching your head. But I know the rest of you are as eager as I am to actually see these expanded editions a bit quicker???
    agreed. you have the age-old problem of the Sups simply not being respected as artists. That they were a contrived vehicle for Diana. and while they were a platform for her launch into superstardom, it's unfortunate that the industry refuses to recognize their contribution. frankly even DR is slighted to some degree with this. If it wasn't for her massive number of hits, i bet the industry would poopoo her too. The fact that she and the group weren't "black enough" or didn't write their own content.

Absolutely...no doubt about it. But when it comes to the Supremes, we have been treated pretty well overall. I keep wondering what a deep dive into some of the other artists' catalogs would result in. The girl groups have been mined pretty thoroughly. We've had the two Marvelettes box sets which supposedly encompassed all their previously unreleased tracks. Martha and the Vandellas, too, have had several releases which included vault tracks [["Spellbound," the 3rd disk of the "50th Anniversary Singles"), but we really haven't had any expanded editions for the Temptations, the 4 Tops and even Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, although they've each had a "Lost and Found" and other tracks which have come out on several various artists packages. But I'd love to see some of the guys get the kind of attention the Supremes have got.

Maybe, after all, this goes to show that the Supremes truly were the flagship act at Motown, and the girl groups in general seem to typify the "Motown Sound." But it'd be great to see some of the guys get some equal time!

Mary writing that book and her TV interviews did much harm to the credibility of the Supremes.

I agree that much is appreciated. The fact remains that the market for these expanded releases is not going to multiply as the years pass.. It’s just unfortunate that their fate remains in the seemingly disinterested hands of Universal execs.
    With the release of Funny Girl, there is a chink of light that waiting times may start to decrease.....Forever the optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Absolutely...no doubt about it. But when it comes to the Supremes, we have been treated pretty well overall. I keep wondering what a deep dive into some of the other artists' catalogs would result in. The girl groups have been mined pretty thoroughly. We've had the two Marvelettes box sets which supposedly encompassed all their previously unreleased tracks. Martha and the Vandellas, too, have had several releases which included vault tracks [["Spellbound," the 3rd disk of the "50th Anniversary Singles"), but we really haven't had any expanded editions for the Temptations, the 4 Tops and even Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, although they've each had a "Lost and Found" and other tracks which have come out on several various artists packages. But I'd love to see some of the guys get the kind of attention the Supremes have got.

Maybe, after all, this goes to show that the Supremes truly were the flagship act at Motown, and the girl groups in general seem to typify the "Motown Sound." But it'd be great to see some of the guys get some equal time!
    i think it's also a matter of the Supremes [[while Diana was in the group) was not only the flagship but also Berry's key focus. he was looking for any and every outlet in which to promote and highlight them. And also constantly searching for any sound, style or song with could be a big hit. When you have a mega hit, it only makes sense to quickly push an album out to accompany it, so you'll need another 10 or so songs.

I'd guess that for every tune MRATV or the Tops or Miracles recorded, the Sups recorded 10. Plus they had so many concept albums being developed or considered. no one else had such a varied discography at motown. also i'm excluding the Christmas albums since EVERYONE in the world has one of those:

Tops - 1 specialty album
    Temps - 1 specialty album not counting the tv specials
    stevie - 2, tribute to uncle ray and with a song in my heart
    Marvin - 3, soulful moods, hello broadway, nat king cole
    Miracles - none
    MRATV - none
    Marvelettes - none

Supremes - 5 that were released

@sup_fan, Nice to consider the various specialty albums recorded by the other groups. It's funny, but nowadays I listen more to the specialty albums than I do the hit albums, probably because I've heard the well known songs so many times.

I really love Gaye's "Hello Broadway" and "Tribute to Nat King Cole," and often listen to them together. I think Gaye's "When I'm Alone I Cry" nearly counts as a specialty album because it's so Sinatra-influenced. "Soulful Moods", IMHO, is still a little rough around the edges but "Alone" I think is a great piece.

For the Tempts, I'm assuming "In a Mellow Mood," and for the Tops "On Broadway." Both are excellent albums as well, and I should definitely play them more often.

I love Stevie's "Uncle Ray," but someone on the forum pointed out to me that what I probably don't like about his almost falsetto on "With a Song in My Heart" was because his voice was changing!

Interesting list!

the fact that Motown was pushing this music is stunning, shocking and spectacular. it was so against the pop mentality at the time but it really did add significant career longevity for many of these artists.

i do think though that this added to the problem of why motown artists lack the industry respect. mary referred to something similar in Dreamgirl about a sort of reverse discrimination. That by that later 60s, blacks had to sound like Aretha or sing heavy r&b or gospel. and if they didn't, they were true black artists.

people see Diana Ross or the Supremes as "black women" but with a sound that differs from Patti or Aretha. therefore they much have sold out to the white powers that be within the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Mary writing that book and her TV interviews did much harm to the credibility of the Supremes.
    or she kept the legacy high and public interest

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    I think that very much the case whether one likes it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    agreed - i do think Mary has helped to keep the Supremes' name in public mind

I ordered 2 copies from Real Gone. I also have a question for anyone who has ordered from them before. Do they ship with the USP? With the recent postal service issues/delays was wondering if I should contact them and see if they would be able to use Fedex or UPS?

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I ordered 2 copies from Real Gone. I also have a question for anyone who has ordered from them before. Do they ship with the USP? With the recent postal service issues/delays was wondering if I should contact them and see if they would be able to use Fedex or UPS?
    Good question. If they ship with USPS, you can expect delays, especially if you're an international customer. All of my packages from the States to Canada have taken at least a month or two. My latest package arrived this week and took three weeks, so the delays might be getting better? It may also depend where they ship from. I've noticed anything that has come through LAX has taken the longest. I've read that there are huge backlogs. Unfortunately our Canadian mail system has been falling apart for some time now too, even pre-pandemic. Anything being ordered and delivered through the mail right now will require some patience.

Is there a stereo version of the extended version of People on either disc?

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Is there a stereo version of the extended version of People on either disc?
    Yes, Kevin Reeves did a stereo mix of the extended "People" and it's on disc 2 along with the Diana, Mary, Cindy remix of the whole album.

Thanks djessie. Have also ordered for a 2nd October delivery.

Now finally available to order through Amazon Canada as well...

https://www.amazon.ca/Sing-Perform-F...7254917&sr=8-3

Got a shipping notice from RG yesterday!

Yes, Kevin Reeves did a stereo mix of the extended "People" and it's on disc 2 along with the Diana, Mary, Cindy remix of the whole album.
    This set is going to be amazing and deserves our full support - while it may not be my first choice in an expanded edition it is at least something to 'keep the lights on' and will appeal to the girls fans as well as Broadway fans so will have a good chance of being very successful. I can't wait to hear it all - let alone look at that sumptuous booklet.