[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Very well said. Mary and cindy appear con t original recording w t andantes. They can be heard on several tracks but even better without t session singers on t 2nd disk
    According to t booklet jules wanted all three girls but berry took t tapes back t Detroit and added t session singers w and w/o Mary and cindy on at least one track.

I brought the digital files when it came out last year. I am very happy to have it in physical format. Now, if we can only get "On Broadway" with the Temptations on CD. I believe that is the last Supremes related album not released.

My copy arrived today and I’m thrilled with it. Went straight to disc 2. The sound quality really is superb. Why BG thought it necessary to add additional singers is a complete mystery to me when Mary and Cindy do a great job. The booklet is informative and contains some stunning pics. I really hope Ross78 or Reflections are ready to go.
    Many thanks to all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really hope Ross78 or Reflections are ready to go.
    Many thanks to all involved.
    “Or” ?? How about “and”

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    “Or” ?? How about “and”

I nearly said it but thought I might be tempting fate.

I nearly said it but thought I might be tempting fate.
    I hear you, but none of us are getting any younger. When we are all gone, who will be buying these cd's ??

BTW, on this current re-release, I am enjoying disc 1 more than disc 2. Diana is brilliant on every cut. She was amazing being so young at the time and doing the entire recording in a few days. She was so under-rated.

I hear you, but none of us are getting any younger. When we are all gone, who will be buying these cd's ??
    Excuse me!!. I will have you know i’m celebrating my 21st birthday this Saturday. Your more then welcome to join the party Circa.....Seriously though, i know where your coming from. It’s all very frustrating.

BTW, on this current re-release, I am enjoying disc 1 more than disc 2. Diana is brilliant on every cut. She was amazing being so young at the time and doing the entire recording in a few days. She was so under-rated.
    Ive been playing it all day. My neighbours are wondering what’s going on hearing me sing “His Love Makes Me Beautiful” for the tenth time lol. I had forgotten just how good her vocals really are on this album. The fact it was recorded in such a relatively short space of time is amazing.
    A lot of people look down on this album, thinking it pales when compared to that of the Streisand soundtrack. To my ears it’s equally as good and certainly deserves as much recognition.

i enjoy both. it's almost as if it's two completely different records. Disc 1 is the solo Diana Ross project where she's backed by a beautiful choir of voices that increase and decrease throughout the material as needed.

Disc 2 is more of a group outing and you can imagine the trio in the studio standing side by side

I've been sticking mostly to disc 2 myself, as I have with most of these sets, enjoying the stuff I haven't heard over and over as I have the original albums. It's always nice though to hear ALL the material in the clearest, purist format available to us today!
    Darin

Excuse me!!. I will have you know i’m celebrating my 21st birthday this Saturday. Your more then welcome to join the party Circa.....Seriously though, i know where your coming from. It’s all very frustrating.
    I'm sure it is equally frustrating for George, Andy and the other guys when they have to wait an eternity for Diana and Universal to approve these releases, and even more frustrating when one or both parties refuse to sanction them. I know just how difficult it is to obtain clearance for products that we all know would be welcomed with open arms by the ever dwindling army of fans. We just need to exercise patience and feel safe in the knowledge that these guys are doing their very best to bring us these magnificent expanded editions. Hopefully our patience and understanding will be rewarded in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I'm sure it is equally frustrating for George, Andy and the other guys when they have to wait an eternity for Diana and Universal to approve these releases, and even more frustrating when one or both parties refuse to sanction them. I know just how difficult it is to obtain clearance for products that we all know would be welcomed with open arms by the ever dwindling army of fans. We just need to exercise patience and feel safe in the knowledge that these guys are doing their very best to bring us these magnificent expanded editions. Hopefully our patience and understanding will be rewarded in the not too distant future.
    Fingers crossed Bluebrock that it will be in this life and not the next. As Circa points out, other then myself none of us are getting any younger........Alas!.

Fingers crossed Bluebrock that it will be in this life and not the next. As Circa points out, other then myself none of us are getting any younger........Alas!.
    Amen to that Ollie!

I am loving this release, like the rest of you. I am going to have to go back and re-visit disc 2 again, but after listening to it, I had the same thought that I had, back when I was listening to the digital release. I came away from it, noticing that Mary and Cindy did not do nearly as many background vocals for this project, compared to the amount of background vocals that was later added by The Andantes, The Blackberries, etc. Again, going by memory and not really listening 100% as closely as I should have, some of these tracks on disc 2 are more like Diana Ross solo tracks, with no to very little Mary/Cindy background vocals at all, in comparison to those very same tracks on disc 1, that had the Andantes and co. added to them. This is not the case with all of the songs. I will need to go back to it again tonight to re-confirm my observations. Perhaps this occurred due to time constraints with Mary and Cindy's schedules. They logically could not spend as much devoted time in the studio as The Andantes and co. Also, I could have sworn I heard The Andantes singing a line on one of the songs on disc 2. I can't remember which one it was Will confirm, unless a Supreme expert here gets around to confirming before I do!
    Last edited by carlo; 10-01-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I am loving this release, like the rest of you. I am going to have to go back and re-visit disc 2 again, but after listening to it, I had the same thought that I had, back when I was listening to the digital release. I came away from it, noticing that Mary and Cindy did not do nearly as many background vocals for this project, compared to the amount of background vocals that was later added by The Andantes, The Blackberries, etc. Again, going by memory and not really listening 100% as closely as I should have, some of these tracks on disc 2 are more like Diana Ross solo tracks, with no to very little Mary/Cindy background vocals at all, in comparison to those very same tracks on disc 1, that had the Andantes and co. added to them. This is not the case with all of the songs. I will need to go back to it again tonight to re-confirm my observations. Perhaps this occurred due to time constraints with Mary and Cindy's schedules. They logically could not spend as much devoted time in the studio as The Andantes and co. Also, I could have sworn I heard The Andantes singing a line on one of the songs on disc 2. I can't remember which one it was Will confirm, unless a Supreme expert here gets around to confirming before I do!
    This past weekend, I listened to the entire release, except for the stereo version. You remember it as I do: it seems there are quite a few background vocals on the original album that aren't on the Mary and Cindy version.

I don't know if that means M & C never did them or maybe some of their vocals were lost? Given that the album was recorded in a couple of days, it is possible that extra vocal arrangements were made for the additional background singers to complete as the album neared release.

In any event, George and Andy, congrats and thanks again for getting these releases out to us. I always know it is going to be a quality set when you guys are involved. And I know you're not taking requests , but maybe Real Gone could see about releasing DIANA SINGS SONGS FROM THE WIZ and the expanded BABY IT'S ME. I downloaded them already but it would be nice to have them in an "official" package and not my homemade versions.

I just got mine today. I found the the booklet really interesting. I found it interesting that the Blackberries did the background vocals on Funny Girl. I also thought that the background vocals tried to sound like Mary and Cindy, they were't pristine, as I would expect hired session singers would be. Thanks Harry, George, Andy and Joe Marchese and Gordon Anderson for Real Gone Music and anyone involved in this project...thank you.
    A very nice tribute to John Perrone, Midnight Johnny, Nightflight on WOMR.
    Last edited by drlorne; 10-01-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This past weekend, I listened to the entire release, except for the stereo version. You remember it as I do: it seems there are quite a few background vocals on the original album that aren't on the Mary and Cindy version.

I don't know if that means M & C never did them or maybe some of their vocals were lost? Given that the album was recorded in a couple of days, it is possible that extra vocal arrangements were made for the additional background singers to complete as the album neared release.
    Ok glad my memory didn't deceive me. Seems there are absolutely no background vocals on the disc 2 versions of the first two tracks, "Funny Girl" and "If A Girl Isn't Pretty". There are also other lines from songs on disc 2 that featured background vocals on the released version of the album, and do not have Mary/Cindy vocals. But then there are other lines with Mary/Cindy vocals that have no background vocal parts on the originally released album. Interesting to think about how these decisions were made to delete certain Mary/Cindy backgrounds on specific parts of songs, and not replace them at all, and then dub in new Andantes backgrounds in new spots of certain songs.

I just finished listening to disc 2 again and I am almost positive that is one of the Andantes I hear at the 1:22 mark of "The Greatest Star", when they sing the line, "Some ain't got it, not a lump, she's a great big clump of talent, laugh, they'll bend in half..." Perhaps George can confirm if that is the Andantes I am hearing on that particular line, on disc 2? If it is indeed the Andantes, then perhaps there was no useable Mary/Cindy vocal for that line and that is why the Andantes were dubbed in for those several seconds?

Love the booklet as well. Lot's of great photos. I especially loved the rare photo of Diana at the Funny Girl movie premiere. I also enjoyed reading Joe's history on the origins of the Funny Girl musical, as there was a lot of interesting information in that piece that I didn't know. This truly is 'the ultimate edition'!
    Last edited by carlo; 10-01-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Love the booklet as well. Lot's of great photos. I especially loved the rare photo of Diana at the Funny Girl movie premiere. I also enjoyed reading Joe's history on the origins of the Funny Girl musical, as there was a lot of interesting information in that piece that I didn't know. This truly is 'the ultimate edition'!
    I would also tell people who might be completists like myself to keep the digital version of the booklet as it is slightly different from that in the Real Gone release.

I just finished listening to disc 2 again and I am almost positive that is one of the Andantes I hear at the 1:22 mark of "The Greatest Star", when they sing the line, "Some ain't got it, not a lump, she's a great big clump of talent, laugh, they'll bend in half..." Perhaps George can confirm if that is the Andantes I am hearing on that particular line, on disc 2? If it is indeed the Andantes, then perhaps there was no useable Mary/Cindy vocal for that line and that is why the Andantes were dubbed in for those several seconds?
    Ok when I posted this question, I had major deja vu and had a feeling that perhaps we had discussed this before and that I had likely forgotten about it. And yes indeed, my question was already addressed in a previous thread...so there are Andantes in a few spots on the new mixes

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...s-on-new-mixes

Good ears Carlo. There is one small spot in "I Am Woman" and one in "I'm The Greatest Star" where it isn't Mary and Cindy. There was no other back up vocal in those spots and it would have really been missed. In other cases if they weren't there, we didn't use them. I wish they had been on the title tune or "If A Girl Isn't Pretty." It's also possible [[and likely) that Mary and Cindy did record more vocals but perhaps when the Blackberries or Andantes recorded the new vocals, they overdubbed on the same track erasing the original vocals. We were very lucky that Mary and Cindy were still present in the places that they were. I too miss hearing some of the backgrounds that we were used to but I think it was more special to have that disc 2 be much more of a Supreme mix making the collection special. You can listen to whatever version you like. Andy always says he wants fans to have it every way on these special editions. Whether it be mono, stereo, original vocals or alternates and new mixes. For some it might be too much of the same song but for others, they want to hear it all! Really grateful for the kind comments about the release and believe me we're trying to have another ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Good ears Carlo. There is one small spot in "I Am Woman" and one in "I'm The Greatest Star" where it isn't Mary and Cindy. There was no other back up vocal in those spots and it would have really been missed. In other cases if they weren't there, we didn't use them. I wish they had been on the title tune or "If A Girl Isn't Pretty." It's also possible [[and likely) that Mary and Cindy did record more vocals but perhaps when the Blackberries or Andantes recorded the new vocals, they overdubbed on the same track erasing the original vocals. We were very lucky that Mary and Cindy were still present in the places that they were. I too miss hearing some of the backgrounds that we were used to but I think it was more special to have that disc 2 be much more of a Supreme mix making the collection special. You can listen to whatever version you like. Andy always says he wants fans to have it every way on these special editions. Whether it be mono, stereo, original vocals or alternates and new mixes. For some it might be too much of the same song but for others, they want to hear it all! Really grateful for the kind comments about the release and believe me we're trying to have another ASAP!
    george - question for you on "overdubbing"

As you mention here, if the A's or B's were overdubbed over what M and C had recorded, then it essentially erased M and C. is that right? so it essentially becomes ONLY the A's or ONLY the B's. as opposed to all of them together

then in regards to another non-Funny Girl song, we've been told that the A's were overdubbed on In And Out Of Love. does that mean M and F were erased? or are they buried in the track but still here?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    george - question for you on "overdubbing"

As you mention here, if the A's or B's were overdubbed over what M and C had recorded, then it essentially erased M and C. is that right? so it essentially becomes ONLY the A's or ONLY the B's. as opposed to all of them together

then in regards to another non-Funny Girl song, we've been told that the A's were overdubbed on In And Out Of Love. does that mean M and F were erased? or are they buried in the track but still here?
    I've wondered that too. In the case of In And Out Of Love, there's parts of the song where I feel like I hear Mary and Flo in the mix but then other parts where its just the Andantes.

I think it was all blended together not wiped out.
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I've wondered that too. In the case of In And Out Of Love, there's parts of the song where I feel like I hear Mary and Flo in the mix but then other parts where its just the Andantes.

I'm always hesitant to answer technical questions because I'm not an expert and don't want to embarrass myself, especially if my response is read by those who really know, like Ralph or Russ. From my observation it seems if there's an open track they would often record additional background vocals and not erase what Mary/Cindy or Mary/Flo have already recorded. When listening through headphones, there are songs where you can hear Mary/Flo in one channel and Andantes in the other. Or in the case of Back In My Arms Again and others, Mary and Flo recorded two sets of vocals on separate tracks and you are hearing them in both ears. Other times there might have been only one available track so vocals were just erased or possibly the girls never recorded at all and the Andantes were all that was needed. But the explanation gets muddy because they can also create a new multitrack tape by bouncing [[or moving) one track to another, combining them and freeing a track for an additional instrument or voice.
    This is getting a little long. Bottom line: Just about anything is possible.

My copy arrived this evening, and I'm playing Disc 1. I've always really liked this LP, and having it now on CD is just fantastic. Listening to Disc 1, and after having read the booklet, I would never have known that it wasn't Mary and Cindy singing the background vocals. I've not yet finished listening to Disc 1, so I'll save Side 2 for tomorrow [[together with A Cellarful Of Motown Volume 5).

Thank you everyone for an enlightening discussion. Thank you George for your timely comments and attention to questions about the releases.
    On a different note...this was a huge gamble for BG, why did he choose Deke to produce it...what did background did Deke have that Berry thought, this is the guy. I know Deke also produced the Farewell Album. I remember from the threads that Deke talked at length about mixing Love Child. Obviously BG held him in high regard. What was his background to have earned this?
    Thanks

I'm blown away by the technology we have at our finger tips. While trying to research Deke Richards I came across a Soulful Detroit tribute to Deke on his passing by Midnight Johnny [[deceased) that had Andy, George and Harry contributing to the radio show. I think it was March 26, 2013 if anyone wants to read the transcripts. It's great that we have access to these archives still.

Could we possibly get a stripped down mix of "In And Out Of Love" on "Reflections" Expanded? Or would it sound too empty or not good to the ears?

listening to the album this week. Of course i'm enjoying it and hearing all of the magic the girls [[including all the extra girls lol) but still this just isn't my favorite broadway show. Not a dig on the album though

but it made me think when else they might have done. outside of Hair, none of the other contemporary musicals of the time would have been any better. But then got an idea i thought i'd share - see what people think of it

the Millie/Rose/Mame medley was a standout with the girls. the DMF version on Sullivan was spectacular. and then the MDC version on TOTT was wonderful. What if they built an album around that? probably would have worked best with the DMF lineup but what about this:

The album starts with the group's medley but this time each girl is sung by a girl. Diana is Millie, Mary is Rose and Flo is Mama. but rather than the full ending, the song dissolves into some dialog from the girls about their fantasies of being Broadway leading ladies [[no we don't need the Motown Genie for this lol). It would sort of be like Diana's leading lady medley from GIT

Diana would lead off with doing a few songs from Millie. then Mary would do a few Fanny Brice numbers and then Flo does a few from Mame

the album would wrap up with a reprise of their medley

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    listening to the album this week. Of course i'm enjoying it and hearing all of the magic the girls [[including all the extra girls lol) but still this just isn't my favorite broadway show. Not a dig on the album though

but it made me think when else they might have done. outside of Hair, none of the other contemporary musicals of the time would have been any better. But then got an idea i thought i'd share - see what people think of it

the Millie/Rose/Mame medley was a standout with the girls. the DMF version on Sullivan was spectacular. and then the MDC version on TOTT was wonderful. What if they built an album around that? probably would have worked best with the DMF lineup but what about this:

The album starts with the group's medley but this time each girl is sung by a girl. Diana is Millie, Mary is Rose and Flo is Mama. but rather than the full ending, the song dissolves into some dialog from the girls about their fantasies of being Broadway leading ladies [[no we don't need the Motown Genie for this lol). It would sort of be like Diana's leading lady medley from GIT

Diana would lead off with doing a few songs from Millie. then Mary would do a few Fanny Brice numbers and then Flo does a few from Mame

the album would wrap up with a reprise of their medley
    Sounds like it would have been a great idea sup. The Funny Girl album really is is a showcase for Diana Ross. It offered her the chance to spread her vocals wings and prove just what she was capable of. I can imagine her sitting in the film theatre, watching Streisand thinking “i could do that”. Had Fanny Brice been a black woman, Funny Girl would have been the perfect vehicle for Diana.

Just a thought.
    I have the 80s anthology. ...blue n pink cover....that includes the Funny Girl medley. It is almost same as the bed sullivan show appearance but I think backing vocals may be different.

What a great release this is! I just got my copy and have enjoyed it very much already. The second disc with Mary and Cindy on the vocals is just great, and Diane really sings her heart out. The tracks with just Mary and Cindy are sparser overall vocally, some of the tracks are really Diane solo tracks, but it does give her more room to spread out so to speak and when the Supremes come in their sound is unmistakable. I think it’s fantastic.

Now for all you naysayers to the bootlegs that have been around, I must confess I have now bought this album three times in the digital era! First I bought the downloads which were released five or six years ago. Then when our friend from Germany came out with his bootleg version of the album, yes of course I had to have that because I’m not good with downloads. And now here I’ve bought it again. All this for an album which probably on vinyl I may have listened to once.

Still it was worth it. This is a great set and I highly encourage anyone who’s on the fence about it to give it a listen.
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-16-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a great release this is! I just got my copy and have enjoyed it very much already. The second disc with Mary and Cindy on the vocals is just great, and Diane really sings her heart out. The tracks with just Mary and Cindy are sparser overall vocally, some of the tracks are really Diane solo tracks, but it does give her more room to spread out so to speak and when the Supremes come in their sound is unmistakable. I think it’s fantastic.

Now for all you naysayers to the bootlegs that have been around, I must confess I have now bought this album three times in the digital era! First I bought the downloads which were released five or six years ago. Then when our friend from Germany came out with his bootleg version of the album, yes of course I had to have that because I’m not good with downloads. And now here I’ve bought it again. All this for an album which probably on vinyl I may have listened to once.

Still it was worth it. This is a great set and I highly encourage anyone who’s on the fence about it to give it a listen.
    I agree all-around, Kenneth, on each and every point. Only ur-fans obtain unofficial releases so, ethically sketchy as they are I can't believe they cut into sales of official releases.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I agree all-around, Kenneth, on each and every point. Only ur-fans obtain unofficial releases so, ethically sketchy as they are I can't believe they cut into sales of official releases.
    No, not with me anyway, but I always have to have everything!

Exactly Kenneth..I bought the bootleg too because it was the only way to get it for me....but now there is an official release I will wholeheartedly buy that.

Diana Ross loves to entertain the world.The proof is in this joyous album. In the 60's I bought it on the same day that I bought "The Supremes Greatest Hits"! Just as Fanny Brice, someday someone will write a Broadway Show, inspired by a theme of Diana Ross.

She is in tip top form on this glorious album. It was never a favorite of mine, but guess what? - it is now! I am enjoying it way more than i could ever have imagined. I would love to hear Ms Ross's thoughts on this release. I have a feeling she will be belatedly proud of it.

I agree Bluerock...her voice is spellbinding....there is power, exuberance, phrasing and joy.
    And it singable... This was done in a short amount of time, she must have worked really hard. I imagine by this time she had voice coaching in order to perform like this, and continue on doing her concert engagements.

A big thank you to Adam White for this wonderful blog on the release.

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/funny-returns

You already know what i think about this George. Everyone involved in this release should be thoroughly proud of themselves.

Fascinating! Thanks again, George, Andrew, Harry.

What a great article that was. Well worth reading. You guys are amazing. How fun to learn how you all came to love this music so much.

This was not a favorite of mine but ..wow..amazing all the way around.
    Glad to have Mary and Cindy's vocals .and diana's lead vocal shows incredible growth...
    More...more...more

Booklet says at the end whether On Broadway could be released in the future.
    Another album I am not a fan of.to many chopped up medleys but to be fair....I haven't listened to it in years..
    I'll take Reflections or love child please

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Booklet says at the end whether On Broadway could be released in the future.
    Another album I am not a fan of.to many chopped up medleys but to be fair....I haven't listened to it in years..
    I'll take Reflections or love child please
    My Christmas wish list - Based on fan response to FG, Real Gone releases both a physical Baby It’s Me and Reflections in time for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    My Christmas wish list - Based on fan response to FG, Real Gone releases both a physical Baby It’s Me and Reflections in time for Christmas!
    That would be great. But I’m still hoping for Ross 78.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Hmmm, maybe all three? Yes, I’m being greedy...

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I don't think Ross78 is imminent, but hopefully the other two are on the way. Fingers crossed!

From a purely personal perspective and at this point in time, l would prefer to have anything other then G.I.T On Broadway as the next release. Not one of my faves.
    I’m really hoping that the next expanded release will be ‘Reflections’, to hopefully include the complete Disney songs on a two cd package. That might be a tall order for Santa to manage this year, but here’s hoping early 2021.