[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sing and Perform Funny Girl: Ultimate Edition 2 CD from Real Gone Music

Thanks to another fan named Craig on Facebook, who found this new product listing on Amazon. Looks like we will be getting the physical version of Funny Girl! Finally!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sing-Perform-...es+funn&sr=1-3

"Nobody ' no, nobody was gonna rain on Diana Ross and The Supremes' parade. With new member Cindy Birdsong joining Miss Ross and Mary Wilson, the group released no fewer than five albums in 1968, all of which showcased their extraordinary versatility. One of those LPs was to be their only full-length tribute to a classic Broadway score ' and what a tribute it was from three of Motown's 'greatest stars.' Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl featured the group's dynamic renditions of Jule Styne and Bob Merrill's showstoppers including 'People,' 'Don't Rain on My Parade,' 'I Am Woman,' 'Sadie, Sadie,' and 'The Music That Makes Me Dance.' Yet unbelievably, the album became The Supremes' only album to never be released on CD anywhere in the world'until now! Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records are proud to debut Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition, a deluxe 2-CD celebration of this Motown-meets-Broadway gem. Greatly building upon the digital-only Expanded Edition issued in 2015, The Ultimate Edition boasts the original U.S. stereo mix, the rare U.K. mono mix [[with an extended version of Diana's tour de force 'People' which composer Styne called 'equal in every way to Streisand's or anyone else's'), The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong's original vocals not heard in 1968, and bonus tracks including alternate versions of 'Cornet Man,' 'His Love Makes Me Beautiful,' and 'Sadie, Sadie' as well as live performances of 'I'm the Greatest Star' and the Fanny Brice standard 'My Man.' The Ultimate Edition has been produced by the team of Andrew Skurow, George Solomon, and Joe Marchese [[The Supremes' Ultimate Merry Christmas) and freshly remastered by Kevin Reeves who mixed all of the previously unissued bonus tracks. It's all topped off with a sumptuous 32-page full-color booklet. Designed by George Solomon and John Sellards, it's packed with an exclusive introduction by Mary Wilson, two new essays placing the album in the context of Diana Ross and The Supremes' career and tracing the Broadway-to-Hollywood journey of Funny Girl, an interview with Jule Styne, and a host of beautiful, previously unpublished color photos. Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition is the definitive tribute to this tuneful treasure from America's most successful vocal group of all time. Hey world, here it is!"
    Last edited by carlo; 08-01-2020 at 09:19 AM.

OMG. Can't wait! Thanks for posting.

Great news. I bought the digital version years back but it will be nice to have a copy that is not "homemade."

I hope they do DIANA SINGS SONGS FROM THE WIZ as well.
    Last edited by reese; 08-01-2020 at 11:43 AM.

ABOUT TIME......at last something new on CD...I have a bootleg copy but will deffinately be buying a couple of copies of this..well done to all concerned.

This is great news. . I already have the Digital download and printed the case. But still excited about this release.

“Currently Unavailable “ on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    “Currently Unavailable “ on Amazon.
    September 25th!!!

Oh. Oops! Thanks. Is Flo on any of these recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Oh. Oops! Thanks. Is Flo on any of these recordings?
    This LP was recording in 1968 after Florence’s departure...

Keep em coming!!!

CD's rock for us old timers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Keep em coming!!!

CD's rock for us old timers!!!
    That’s too funny... “CDs” for “old timers”. Lol! Times have changed.
    I’ll be pre-ordering as soon as it goes live.

What great news! I too have the bootleg edition, which is really quite excellent, but this will be worth buying if only for the slightly different track listing than the digital version as well as the 32 page booklet. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, but it appears there's a bit more material on this than on the download LP.

I think the difference is the additional voices were edited out so that it’s only the girls

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks to another fan named Craig on Facebook, who found this new product listing on Amazon. Looks like we will be getting the physical version of Funny Girl! Finally!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sing-Perform-...es+funn&sr=1-3

"Nobody ' no, nobody was gonna rain on Diana Ross and The Supremes' parade. With new member Cindy Birdsong joining Miss Ross and Mary Wilson, the group released no fewer than five albums in 1968, all of which showcased their extraordinary versatility. One of those LPs was to be their only full-length tribute to a classic Broadway score ' and what a tribute it was from three of Motown's 'greatest stars.' Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl featured the group's dynamic renditions of Jule Styne and Bob Merrill's showstoppers including 'People,' 'Don't Rain on My Parade,' 'I Am Woman,' 'Sadie, Sadie,' and 'The Music That Makes Me Dance.' Yet unbelievably, the album became The Supremes' only album to never be released on CD anywhere in the world'until now! Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records are proud to debut Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition, a deluxe 2-CD celebration of this Motown-meets-Broadway gem. Greatly building upon the digital-only Expanded Edition issued in 2015, The Ultimate Edition boasts the original U.S. stereo mix, the rare U.K. mono mix [[with an extended version of Diana's tour de force 'People' which composer Styne called 'equal in every way to Streisand's or anyone else's'), The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong's original vocals not heard in 1968, and bonus tracks including alternate versions of 'Cornet Man,' 'His Love Makes Me Beautiful,' and 'Sadie, Sadie' as well as live performances of 'I'm the Greatest Star' and the Fanny Brice standard 'My Man.' The Ultimate Edition has been produced by the team of Andrew Skurow, George Solomon, and Joe Marchese [[The Supremes' Ultimate Merry Christmas) and freshly remastered by Kevin Reeves who mixed all of the previously unissued bonus tracks. It's all topped off with a sumptuous 32-page full-color booklet. Designed by George Solomon and John Sellards, it's packed with an exclusive introduction by Mary Wilson, two new essays placing the album in the context of Diana Ross and The Supremes' career and tracing the Broadway-to-Hollywood journey of Funny Girl, an interview with Jule Styne, and a host of beautiful, previously unpublished color photos. Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl: The Ultimate Edition is the definitive tribute to this tuneful treasure from America's most successful vocal group of all time. Hey world, here it is!"
    So exciting. A tour de force from Miss Ross!

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    So exciting. A tour de force from Miss Ross!
    Indeed !!!!!

Nothing on the Real Gone website as yet!

Although im excited about this release im not a great show tune fan...I guess we have to be grateful for what we get..Like I said earlier I will buy it because its Motown and we dont get anything nowadays just rehash after rehash of Motowns greatest hits..does anyone know whats happened with ACE and KENT?...would have been nice if the powers that be would have informed us as to whats happening....as soon as the releases stop the people disappear and we never hear from them again..shame.

Now available for preorder on Amazon!

Link to Amazon pre-order.

#78 on Amazon r and b CDs!

There appears to be no delivery to the UK!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There appears to be no delivery to the UK!!.
    I noticed that too [[I´m in Europe). But there is a listing on Amazon UK so maybe that will work for us, once you can place an order:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DSZ31...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Although im excited about this release im not a great show tune fan...I guess we have to be grateful for what we get..Like I said earlier I will buy it because its Motown and we dont get anything nowadays just rehash after rehash of Motowns greatest hits..does anyone know whats happened with ACE and KENT?...would have been nice if the powers that be would have informed us as to whats happening....as soon as the releases stop the people disappear and we never hear from them again..shame.
    I feel the same way. I'm not a fan of show tunes or standards. They tend to leave me bored stiff. I think I will order directly from RGM so that they get the maximum amount of revenue from this release. I love Amazon, but I think Jeff has enough of my money already. lol

We are so happy that the good folks at Real Gone Music are interested in putting our expanded/ultimate editions out on CD. We know "Funny Girl" might not have been first choice for a lot of fans. I'm glad some are happy about it and grateful that it is selling [[#17 Amazon R&B). Universal has to clear the tracks for each project. We submitted 6 expanded editions to be approved. Then we waited [[and waited) then got notice that "Funny Girl" was approved so we went for it, no questions asked. It's not like we were going to say no! So you see, we don't have the final say on what the next release is. We are all hoping that another [[whatever it is) gets a green light soon. We've all been anxious and I'm happy that you all have stayed interested. I think this is a great release. I love the Diana, Mary, Cindy mix of the whole album. There are 13 tracks that weren't on the digital release in 2015 including the UK master for the mono album. There was a white label mono US promo that was a fold of our released stereo album so we didn't use that one. We [[and by we I mean Andy) went to great lengths to get the UK master which was not the same as our US. It wasn't easy with the UK offices closed. This is also the first time we've had a 32 page full color booklet! It includes additional essays and photos. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I hope you like it and I ain't too proud to say, I hope everyone buys it!

In the CD's description it states: The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong’s original vocals not heard in 1968

Does this mean that the original LP was released in 1968 with different background singers in place of Mary and Cindy? If so, does anyone know which singers are filling in for Mary and Cindy. Also, why were their vocals removed? Was it because Styne and Gordy did not feel their vocals were suitable and they decided to replace them? If in fact their vocals were replaced by other singers I can't even imagine how that would have made Mary and Cindy feel. It's like they weren't even a group at this point - - - at least not in the recording studio. It seems like aside from the recordings released with the Temptations all the other recorded output released didn't include Mary or Cindy and were essentially Diana Ross solo records labelled as "Diana Ross & The Supremes". I can see why resentment set in within the group, especially with Mary who was an original group member. I don't blame her, I think anyone in her position would have felt the same way. She's only human. It's actually kind of sad.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    We are so happy that the good folks at Real Gone Music are interested in putting our expanded/ultimate editions out on CD. We know "Funny Girl" might not have been first choice for a lot of fans. I'm glad some are happy about it and grateful that it is selling [[#17 Amazon R&B). Universal has to clear the tracks for each project. We submitted 6 expanded editions to be approved. Then we waited [[and waited) then got notice that "Funny Girl" was approved so we went for it, no questions asked. It's not like we were going to say no! So you see, we don't have the final say on what the next release is. We are all hoping that another [[whatever it is) gets a green light soon. We've all been anxious and I'm happy that you all have stayed interested. I think this is a great release. I love the Diana, Mary, Cindy mix of the whole album. There are 13 tracks that weren't on the digital release in 2015 including the UK master for the mono album. There was a white label mono US promo that was a fold of our released stereo album so we didn't use that one. We [[and by we I mean Andy) went to great lengths to get the UK master which was not the same as our US. It wasn't easy with the UK offices closed. This is also the first time we've had a 32 page full color booklet! It includes additional essays and photos. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I hope you like it and I ain't too proud to say, I hope everyone buys it!
    Great to hear from you George! Will Real Gone Music also be releasing the Expanded Edition of the Reflections album as well? If so, I'm all onboard!

The story of the back up vocals is explained in much more detail in the essay and Q&A with Jule Styne. Mary and Cindy are on the 1968 release. There were additional voices added [[The Andantes and Blackberries) for a fuller sound sometimes in addition to their voices and sometimes replacing them and sometimes you're only hearing Mary and Cindy even on the 68 release. The new mix gives you a chance to hear the record by the three Supremes. On a few tracks if there were no Mary and Cindy vocals we didn't use any background at all. And you've got the original album in mono and stereo. Certainly choose whatever mix you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    In the CD's description it states: The Supreme Mixes reinstating Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong’s original vocals not heard in 1968

Does this mean that the original LP was released in 1968 with different background singers in place of Mary and Cindy? If so, does anyone know which singers are filling in for Mary and Cindy. Also, why were their vocals removed? Was it because Styne and Gordy did not feel their vocals were suitable and they decided to replace them? If in fact their vocals were replaced by other singers I can't even imagine how that would have made Mary and Cindy feel. It's like they weren't even a group at this point - - - at least not in the recording studio. It seems like aside from the recordings released with the Temptations all the other recorded output released didn't include Mary or Cindy and were essentially Diana Ross solo records labelled as "Diana Ross & The Supremes". I can see why resentment set in within the group, especially with Mary who was an original group member. I don't blame her, I think anyone in her position would have felt the same way. She's only human. It's actually kind of sad.
    If you search this forum there was a thread that discussed all your questions and more. This was around the time of the digital release of this album.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Great to hear from you George! Will Real Gone Music also be releasing the Expanded Edition of the Reflections album as well? If so, I'm all onboard!
    I hope so. We are all itching for "Reflections" but as I said, we'll do whatever gets the green light.

I hope so. We are all itching for "Reflections" but as I said, we'll do whatever gets the green light.
    So are you allowed to say what the other FIVE expanded editions albums were that you submitted for approval?

So are you allowed to say what the other FIVE expanded editions albums were that you submitted for approval?
    I think this is like asking Joe Biden who he's going to pick for VP...you know he won't answer but you're hoping he'll drop a hint or two!

Great news from Mr. Solomon! I have enjoyed this album much more than when I first bought it. It was really quite gutsy of Gordy to release the girls' versions of Streisand's breakout role. I think they do a great job and the arrangements are different enough that you really don't think about Streisand's performance in comparison. Still, a bold move on Gordy's part and while it wasn't a big seller at the time, I think it does a lot to advance the legacy of Diane, Mary and Cindy, and establish just what they were capable of recording.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think this is like asking Joe Biden who he's going to pick for VP...you know he won't answer but you're hoping he'll drop a hint or two!

Great news from Mr. Solomon! I have enjoyed this album much more than when I first bought it. It was really quite gutsy of Gordy to release the girls' versions of Streisand's breakout role. I think they do a great job and the arrangements are different enough that you really don't think about Streisand's performance in comparison. Still, a bold move on Gordy's part and while it wasn't a big seller at the time, I think it does a lot to advance the legacy of Diane, Mary and Cindy, and establish just what they were capable of recording.
    Well if you think about it the Supremes had been doing songs from Funnygirl since 1964. The Supremes had been doing People and I Am Woman in their live act since '64/65.

[QUOTE=kenneth;585387]I think this is like asking Joe Biden who he's going to pick for VP...you know he won't answer but you're hoping he'll drop a hint or two!

That's really funny. Maybe not quite as important but close!
    You're right, I don't feel at liberty to report the specifics but I'm pretty sure whatever is chosen next, it's not going to disappoint. They've all been highly requested.

Your posts here are always so welcome, George. I ordered from Amazon as soon as I read this. Thank you and Andy for all you are doing and everything you have done for Diana Ross and Supremes fans.

Thanks George and much appreciated. It's good to know there are still people who are willing to release these gems in physical form. Although I listen a lot to music online it still feels better to have a CD in your hands and read from a booklet rather than a computer/laptop screen.

[QUOTE=George Solomon;585389]
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

That's really funny. Maybe not quite as important but close!
    You're right, I don't feel at liberty to report the specifics but I'm pretty sure whatever is chosen next, it's not going to disappoint. They've all been highly requested.
    Wow! Five more ready to go. That's fantastic to hear. I'll "reflect" on what might come next. Perhaps a boxed set of all five?

Well if you think about it the Supremes had been doing songs from Funnygirl since 1964. The Supremes had been doing People and I Am Woman in their live act since '64/65.
    You're right, and I hadn't thought of that. But still, I think recording a whole album as a tribute to the show was a bold marketing move which really enhanced not only the Supremes' but the entire Motown brand.

Recording whole albums of songs from one show wasn't all that unusual back in the 60s, but sometimes they would misfire because the movie everyone thought would be a smash turned out to be a dud. Think, for example, of Sammy Davis doing all the songs from "Dr. Dolittle." There's no one I'd rather hear sing than Sammy but I have to admit I almost never played his "Dr. Dolittle" album. There's not a lot of memorable songs from that musical, though I do love the song "When I Look in Your Eyes," which in the film Rex Harrison sings to a seal.

Another album the singer probably regretted recording was Ed Ames' "Lost Horizon." I think only one side was devoted to the songs from that film [[which also bombed), but obviously the synergy from tying Ames' album to the film was lacking when the film failed.

#17 for a 50 year old album of a broadway show! Yay George and Andy and the Supremes!

I think I will order directly from RGM so that they get the maximum amount of revenue from this release. I love Amazon, but I think Jeff has enough of my money already. lol
    I agree SatansBlues....I just ordered mine from RGM. Thanks to all of those who had a hand in this release. I happen to enjoy the Funny Girl LP and play it quite regularly, so it will be nice to hear it on CD.
    Darin

There are 13 tracks that weren't on the digital release in 2015 including the UK master for the mono album. There was a white label mono US promo that was a fold of our released stereo album so we didn't use that one. We [[and by we I mean Andy) went to great lengths to get the UK master which was not the same as our US. It wasn't easy with the UK offices closed.
    Are you saying that Motown made a dedicated mono mix specifically for the UK/Euro market? Or that they did a better fold for the UK market?

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I agree SatansBlues....I just ordered mine from RGM. Thanks to all of those who had a hand in this release. I happen to enjoy the Funny Girl LP and play it quite regularly, so it will be nice to hear it on CD.
    Darin
    I also pre-ordered directly from RGM. They are a great reissue label. Thanks to everyone involved.

Thanks George. This is so exciting. I loved the digital release. So I know this will be absolutely beautiful.

Many thanks for continuing to keep us all informed George. Im a little surprised if somewhat delighted that Universal chose Funny Girl as the first to be given the green light.
    News of this forthcoming release is extremely welcome at a time that is proving to be very difficult for us all. It sounds a rather special release and one that myself and i’m sure many others are really looking forward to hearing.
    I think it a huge shame Flo was no longer in the group at the the time of the Funny Girl recordings. Her voice would have been perfect backing Diana on songs such as “I’m The Greatest Star” and “Cornet Man”.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I also pre-ordered directly from RGM. They are a great reissue label. Thanks to everyone involved.
    Do you have a link? I don’t see it listed on their website and also would like to order from them.

just pre ordered this on Amazon..

I just pre-ordered mine directly from RGM, their list price is just $19.99, plus $3.99 for shipping. It's listed for $27.99 on Amazon.

I just pre-ordered mine directly from RGM, their list price is just $19.99, plus $3.99 for shipping. It's listed for $27.99 on Amazon.
    Hey! Now that's super helpful info! Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

Hey thanks, I'll order my second copy from RGM.