[REMOVE ADS]

James Brown "Collected" 3CD set [[Universal NL) 6/26/2020

Description
    James Brown Collected is the most comprehensive career overview of The Godfather Of Soul. From the early days on the Federal label, major hits on Federal and Polydor, and later hits on Scotti Bros, this 3CD set features hits from all periods. All songs on Collected are the original single versions.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. Please, Please, Please *
    2. Try Me *
    3. Think *
    4. Bewildered *
    5. I Don't Mind *
    6. Baby You're Right *
    7. Lost Someone *
    8. Night Train *
    9. Prisoner Of Love *
    10. Oh Baby Don't You Weep [[Pt. 1) *
    11. Papa's Got A Brand New Bag [[Pt. 1) *
    12. I Got You [[I Feel Good) *
    13. Ain't That A Groove [[Pt. 1) *
    14. It's A Man's Man's Man's World *
    15. Don't Be A Dropout *
    16. Bring It Up *
    17. Let Yourself Go *
    18. Cold Sweat [[Pt. 1) *
    19. I Can't Stand Myself [[When You Touch Me) [[Pt. 1) - With The Dapps *
    20. There Was A Time [[Live At The Apollo Theater) *
    21. I Got The Feelin' *
    22. Licking Stick - Licking Stick [[Pt. 1) *
    23. Say It Loud - I'm Black And I'm Proud [[Pt. 1) *
    24. Goodbye My Love
    25. Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose
    26. I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing [[Open Up The Door I'll Get It Myself) [[Pt. 1)

[CD2]
    1. Mother Popcorn [[Pt. 1)
    2. World [[Pt. 1)
    3. Let A Man Come In And Do The Popcorn [[Pt. 1)
    4. Ain't It Funky Now [[Pt. 1)
    5. It's A New Day [[Pts. 1 & 2)
    6. Funky Drummer [[Pt. 1)
    7. Brother Rapp
    8. Get Up [[I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine [[Pt. 1)
    9. Super Bad [[Pts. 1 & 2) **
    10. Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved [[Pt. 1)
    11. Soul Power [[Pt. 1)
    12. Escape-Ism [[Pt. 1)
    13. Hot Pants [[She Got To Use What She Got To Get What She Wants) [[Pt. 1) **
    14. Make It Funky [[Pt. 1)
    15. I'm A Greedy Man [[Pt. 1)
    16. Talkin' Loud And Saying Nothin'
    17. King Heroin [[Pt. 1)
    18. There It Is [[Pt. 1)
    19. Honky Tonk [[Pt. 1)
    20. Get On The Good Foot [[Pt. 1)
    21. I Got A Bag Of My Own
    22. I Got Ants In My Pants [[Pt. 1) **

[CD3]
    1. The Boss **
    2. People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul **
    3. Stoned To The Bone [[Pt. 1)
    4. The Payback [[Pt. 1)
    5. Woman [[Pt. 1)
    6. My Thang
    7. Papa Don't Take No Mess
    8. Get Up Offa That Thing
    9. Bodyheat
    10. Give Me Some Skin
    11. Love Me Tender
    12. It's Too Funky In Here
    13. Living In America
    14. Gravity
    15. I'm Real
    16. Static
    17. The Payback Mix [[Pt. 1)
    18. Gimme Your Love - With Aretha Franklin
    19. Can't Get Any Harder

* & The Famous Flames
    ** & The J.B.'s

Amazon USA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088T18MPD/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088T18MPD/?tag=imwan-21

I find it curious that "Out of Sight" from 1964 is nowhere to be found on this 3-CD collection. That was a big hit for James that crossed over to the pop top 40. The record also signaled that James was entering into his "funk" phase. My guess is that because "Out of Sight" was released on the Smash label [[that's another story for another time) and not on the Federal or King labels the European compilers of this set missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    I find it curious that "Out of Sight" from 1964 is nowhere to be found on this 3-CD collection. That was a big hit for James that crossed over to the pop top 40. The record also signaled that James was entering into his "funk" phase. My guess is that because "Out of Sight" was released on the Smash label [[that's another story for another time) and not on the Federal or King labels the European compilers of this set missed it.
    And I think the only reason why "Out Of Sight" is simply due to lack of space on this collection. Polydor Records [[now part of Universal Music Group) bought JB's entire catalog when he signed to the company back in 1971. "Out Of Sight" has already appeared on other [[more comprehensive) James Brown collections over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And I think the only reason why "Out Of Sight" is simply due to lack of space on this collection. Polydor Records [[now part of Universal Music Group) bought JB's entire catalog when he signed to the company back in 1971. "Out Of Sight" has already appeared on other [[more comprehensive) James Brown collections over the years.
    "Out of Sight" was a bigger hit than probably 75% of the songs included on "James Brown Collected". Personally, I think that there were many other songs that were better candidates to omit for lack of space.

There are quite a few of these European "Collected" sets from Universal NL, and they are generally excellent. The "Robert Cray Collected" and "Robert Palmer Collected" ones are particularly worth mentioning. I think that the 3-CD versions [[they are also available in 2 LP versions) of these sets are easily the best and most comprehensive career-spanning collections available for these two artists.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 08-01-2020 at 11:59 AM.

I have the Star Time boxed set so I have most of these tracks. Some are the LP versions [[such as "Cold Sweat" and "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"), with "Bag" at the original speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    "Out of Sight" was a bigger hit than probably 75% of the songs included on "James Brown Collected". Personally, I think that there were many other songs that were better candidates to omit for lack of space.
    You're right about that. "Out Of Sight" could've replaced "Oh Baby, Don't You Weep" or "Baby You're Right" on Disc 1 from this set since it was a such a key song in JB's career. Oh well...it's the choice of the compliers of James Brown Collected to skip "OOS".

I like the fact that "James Brown Collected" contains James' 1985 hit record, "Living in America." There are many James Brown collections out there, including the "Star Time" box set, that do not have James' last big hit on their track list.

Here's hoping that the sound quality is better than the Kool & The Gang and Cameo Collected set. A lot of poor vinyl needledrops on both sets.

"Out of Sight" did set the pace for FUNK.