[REMOVE ADS]

Succesful Young Diana Vs. Succesful Young Dionne

I just never got it with crossover appeal:

How come people of all walks of life like this young Flo sounding girl maturing like fine wine right as she's about through puberty [[or so it sounds):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoBISzUP4o

When Berry thought she want this kitten of a girl was going to be a superstar. Did people really believe the studio version of the former artists song thinks it was too "Older Women"?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v8g9lC8EwM

Maybe the supremes were too upbeat compared to old piano and the record buyers wanted to be peter pans!

That's my theory.

I know Flo was assaulted and didn't think herself as much as of a "Superstar", but still....I JUST DON'T GET IT!

Why did Dionne Warwick and the others still sell well when Berry's dream was to appeal to all people? Is Motown a lie?

Motown wasn't a lie. Motown was considered a soul label that pop audiences crossed over to IMHO because its producers manage to successfully tweak it a little where black and white audiences can both groove to it without feeling awkward [[which is why artists like Otis Redding, James Brown and Aretha Franklin wouldn't catch on until later that decade).

Dionne already had the pop-soul sound from the beginning. I think her success came AFTER Mary Wells.

Aretha's early work on Capital was straight up pop.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Aretha's early work on Capital was straight up pop.
    I think you may have meant Columbia. The first record I ever bought by her was a remake of an old Al Jolson song called ROCK A BYE YOUR BABY WITH A DIXIE MELODY. Six years later, she was having all kinds of hits on Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I think you may have meant Columbia. The first record I ever bought by her was a remake of an old Al Jolson song called ROCK A BYE YOUR BABY WITH A DIXIE MELODY. Six years later, she was having all kinds of hits on Atlantic
    Yes, Columbia. Thank you.

I'm not following the point that you're trying to make. Dionne sounds nothing like F.s Ballard. Absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I'm not following the point that you're trying to make. Dionne sounds nothing like F.s Ballard. Absolutely nothing.
    Correct. NOBODY sounded like Dionne which is why she was so successful- the perfect blend of pop, rb, and gospel. Bacharach-David lyrics and melodies aren’t easy. Dionne made it work and was amazing.

I don't really find that Florence sounds like Dionna at all. And what has it got to do with Diana VS Dionne? I think this thread has nothing to do with either of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I don't really find that Florence sounds like Dionna at all. And what has it got to do with Diana VS Dionne? I think this thread has nothing to do with either of the two.
    Agreed. I don't get it either.

I think IMissFlo93 was trying to say that he finds that Flo and Dionne sound similar, and since Dionne was already considered a pop artist who had crossed over, and since Berry was also looking to give the Supremes a commercial sound to cross-over, why didn't he pick Flo to be the consistent lead, instead of Diana? I see the point being made. However, to my own ears, I don't find that Flo and Dionne sound the same. Dionne had a very soft, light, high voice on her early 60's records, while Flo sang with more power and an R&B type of twang.

I like Florence's voice but never think of it as being a sound to become a huge pop star. Maybe on the R&B charts with the right material as her voice was more powerful than both Diana's and Mary's. Florence did cover Walk on by but she doesn't sound like Dionne to me.