[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Floy joy - lp

Right On was a hip phrase at the time to it made sense to use it with the girls. plus the double meaning of "moving right on" from the personnel change

I agree that NWBLS could have worked for the first LP. IMO RO is a bit more happy of phrase while NWBLS has a touch of melancholy in it. splitting hairs here.

Love the Floy Joy cover art as well as touch.
    Love the above photo of Floy Joy RanRan.thx for sharing.
    PS.
    There was another photo of Floy Joy with Cindy....I think wearing yellow dresses..I think it was a 45 photo sleeve

Those yellow dresses were stunning. I recall reading that Mary said they were too hot on stage.

Name:  163616_173059936066241_230205_n.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  58.5 KB

Photo's from this session are beautiful as well.

love this shot. but my OCD is flipping out!! heheheeh i want to go comb Mary's fringe lolol

Another great shot....love this.thx for sharing

This is very true. The non promos of the singles nathan Jones floy joy which both should have charted higher in t states as they had in England, the chart failures and non promoti g of the album touch floy joy and t pictureless photo of t group on t Jimmy webb album and t failure of a sparkling lsst single bad weather put t nail in t coffin of t Jean Terrell led supremes

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree. the concept of "the supremes" is more than just rows of sequins and bugle beads. It was elegant and stylish. and styles change. you're right that the girls were never crass in their outfits. sexy, yes of course. and tastes changes. So i was fine with the girls exploring new looks and outfits

the outfits on A Go Go weren't glitzy or elegant. but they were perfect for the time and place. The bib overalls outfit was fine, not my favorite but i'm certainly not going to have a heart attack about them

i liked most of the 70s outfits and appreciate them but i do think the style choices were wrong, in many cases, when Scherrie joined. mostly i say that the huge chiffon ballgown look was wrong - like the green dresses or the yellow/orange/white outfits from He's My Man on Tonight Show. The dresses and style don't fit disco music and don't work with the choreography.
    the other girl groups like labelle were far ahead with t futuristic look and other like t 3 degrees and 1st choice were letting it all hang out

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post

Name:  163616_173059936066241_230205_n.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  58.5 KB
    Replace Cindy with Lynda, and this would've been a nice shot for the Jimmy Webb album.

Never seen Lynda wearing this outfit. But t would have been nice indeed. Anything better than what they used. The theme of the music on the LP makes it very difficult to come up with an idea for the cover. A shot from the Lean on me performance would have worked but not sure if that was before or after the release of Jimmy Webb.

supposedly the original idea for the cover was to use a sepia toned version of this picture of MJL

Attachment 18053

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    the other girl groups like labelle were far ahead with t futuristic look and other like t 3 degrees and 1st choice were letting it all hang out
    yes the other groups definitely had fresher looks and approaches to their music. I think this was part of the reason for the conflict within the group. lynda and especially Jean wanted to evolve into something new and different. Mary didn't

but then again, we've criticized the girls for trying to update their look. the outfits they added to their wardrobe in late 72 and into 73 were definitely not the ultra glam look

they debuted these gowns with the Temps tour at The Grove in LA
    Attachment 18054
    Attachment 18055
    Attachment 18056

these are from Flip Wilson in that short clip of them doing Lean On Me
    Attachment 18057

and then these chiffon outfits from Kate Smith and Model of the Year
    Attachment 18058

Am definitely not a fan of any of those dresses. Am not so interested in fashion, I love work trousers and a simple blue jumper or t-shirt. But the flowery dresses look like they were cut from my nan's curtains. I do like the middle pic [[lean on me). That was the one I mentioned they should have used for the Jimmy Webb album.

lolol - yes i didn't say that i thought they were moving in the RIGHT direction lolol

my guess is they were trying to go into a bit more of mature, earthy look. a little less over-the-top Vegas sparkle.

Haha I know what you mean no worries. Just think the dresses don't do them any favours. The last photo looks like a group who hasn't been on the scene for years and recently were asked to do a performance. They don't look glamorous nor down to earth. I'm harsh and do apologize lol.

Name:  395705_309292895776277_2001884086_n.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  36.0 KB

Always think these looked good. Especially the photo session of Scherrie, Cindy and Mary wearing these. One of them photo's, the one with the Aztec temple in the background, would have made a great album cover for the 75 album.

Name:  11018300_872320649473496_6871371173527400978_n.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  30.0 KB

yes the brown feather and sequin outfits were cool. I was only including the outfits specifically made for MJL. lots of the other earlier 70s outfits still worked.

I think MJL looked good in the pink jumpsuits on Soul Train. Liked the patchwork jacket jean wore. And the white poncho jumpsuits from Soul Train too.

Some people didn't like the red and blue hot pants and halter top outfits. but i think they're fierce!!

Attachment 18062

and the white fringe mini dresses from Flip Wilson and YWSSL

People talk about the 3 Degrees and other girl groups looking more modern at this time. any pics that represent this? i'm frankly not all that familiar with these other groups so don't really know their look

I'm not even sure when them brown feather outfits were made. I've never seen any photo's of Cindy, Mary and Jean wear them so assumed they were made for Lynda, Mary and Jean.

Not so sure about them red and mini shorts outfit lol. Nice in summer though! Three Degrees wore them grey mini trousers for some performances. They had some very showy costumes. The 3 degrees, to me, often looked stunning and their dance routines were often very well executed and in sync.

the brown feathers came about later with MJC. they wore them on Flip Wilson when they did a skit and then i believe they wore them when they did floy joy on Merv griffin?

Haha I know what you mean no worries. Just think the dresses don't do them any favours. The last photo looks like a group who hasn't been on the scene for years and recently were asked to do a performance. They don't look glamorous nor down to earth. I'm harsh and do apologize lol.
    Differences of opinion are part of what makes the world go round.
    I think that the dresses in the last photo fit the theme of the Model Of the Year quite well. Jean, Mary & Lynda look supreme to me and each models her outfit with class. I only wish there were a clearer copy of the performance of 'Touch' from which the photo is taken, rather than the blurry one that is currently available.

the brown feathers came about later with MJC. they wore them on Flip Wilson when they did a skit and then i believe they wore them when they did floy joy on Merv griffin?

And here they are:

Name:  fb432abe44ec5d6ed4fde506799caa55.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  90.4 KB

While the flowery dresses are so out of character for the image of the group, I think the ladies look absolutely beautiful in them and come across as more earthy Supremes than the usual look. The original trio looked like the girls next door, even in gowns, up until about early 1966. At that point they started wearing a lot more sequins and beads and coming across like the stars they were. DRATS period stepped it up even more. JMC sort of rode the wave of DRATS leftover image with a mix of something new and hip. The flowery dresses to me signify exactly the way the Supremes should've been coming across at that point. The glamour thing was super old, unless you were Diana Ross. And I suspect that, for the public, had Diana remained with the Supremes as late as the JML period, the public would've tired of the look still. That age of the female group was old hat. JML could rely on their vocals without any need to continue the old image. I don't believe I've ever seen the flower dresses photo before, but it's instantly a fav of mine.

The "Lean On Me" shot is another great one. And I have to vehemently disagree with TYK about the look on Model Of the Year. That's the perfect glam image for that period in time, if the group was going to "glam" it up. It's not over the top and it's not homely. They look beautiful.

Name:  395705_309292895776277_2001884086_n.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  36.0 KB

Always think these looked good. Especially the photo session of Scherrie, Cindy and Mary wearing these. One of them photo's, the one with the Aztec temple in the background, would have made a great album cover for the 75 album.

Name:  11018300_872320649473496_6871371173527400978_n.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  30.0 KB
    Agree with both statements. The shot with Scherrie is screaming album cover!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Differences of opinion are part of what makes the world go round.
    I think that the dresses in the last photo fit the theme of the Model Of the Year quite well. Jean, Mary & Lynda look supreme to me and each models her outfit with class. I only wish there were a clearer copy of the performance of 'Touch' from which the photo is taken, rather than the blurry one that is currently available.
    I love the way so many of us see these things differently.

I do agree with you on the Model dresses and the clear copy of "Touch". It's said that the ladies performed the song on Flip Wilson but I have yet to come across this performance.

People talk about the 3 Degrees and other girl groups looking more modern at this time. any pics that represent this? i'm frankly not all that familiar with these other groups so don't really know their look
    The 3D are probably in my top 5 female groups of all time. One of my fav things for awhile some years back was when I discovered that Youtube had a ton of 3D performances on the site, and I fell in love with the group even more. [[I had collected their music since the 90s, but hadn't really seen any performances.) I think I brought this up recently in another thread, but personally I don't see the 3D as having any more of a hip image than the Supremes. Their live act was very Vegasy. In fact, I believe that the way they presented themselves is probably what a DRATS that existed well into the 70s would've looked like, minus the three lead singers and the better live song selections. They wore a lot of sequined gowns with big wigs, sang MOR and standards, the whole bit. And as I mentioned in the previous thread, I believe this is what largely hindered their popularity with the public here in the States. [[Overseas, they were HUGELY popular.) Song for song, the 70s Supremes had more hits than any other female group that decade, but I think a strong reason for this is name recognition and a huge fan base from the 60s. Even when the base shrunk, it still had to be a sizable population of people because SUPREMES was just so big and popular. The other female groups that decade, including the 3D, never had a base that huge from the jump.

Yes glad we all got our own opinion. Makes the world a less boring place. I was a bit harsh lol. That pic with Flip Wilson is beautiful. They just look stunning in them outfits. The model of the year dresses just don't grow on me. I do like their outfits on the Floy Joy album cover. But not sure what that would have looked like on stage.

Yes I always wondered why the 3degrees were so popular here in the UK. I love their songs and enjoy listening to their Live album but in the States they didn't do very well.

Yes glad we all got our own opinion. Makes the world a less boring place. I was a bit harsh lol. That pic with Flip Wilson is beautiful. They just look stunning in them outfits. The model of the year dresses just don't grow on me. I do like their outfits on the Floy Joy album cover. But not sure what that would have looked like on stage.
    Interesting point about the Floy Joy outfits. I'm not one for getting all into the gowns and what not, but it never dawned on me to wonder if they ever wore these on stage.

Yes I always wondered why the 3degrees were so popular here in the UK. I love their songs and enjoy listening to their Live album but in the States they didn't do very well.
    Honestly, my personal opinion is that the 3D's had better music than the Supremes did once they got to Philly International. I also find the 3D's to be a more interesting and exciting live act than what the 70s Supremes ever did. But for whatever reason, the 3Ds just didn't catch on with the fire I believe they deserved. I also think I once read that Kenny Gamble was a bit of sexist and so he pushed his male acts with a bit more fervor than he did his female acts. How true that is, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    While the flowery dresses are so out of character for the image of the group, I think the ladies look absolutely beautiful in them and come across as more earthy Supremes than the usual look. The original trio looked like the girls next door, even in gowns, up until about early 1966. At that point they started wearing a lot more sequins and beads and coming across like the stars they were. DRATS period stepped it up even more. JMC sort of rode the wave of DRATS leftover image with a mix of something new and hip. The flowery dresses to me signify exactly the way the Supremes should've been coming across at that point. The glamour thing was super old, unless you were Diana Ross. And I suspect that, for the public, had Diana remained with the Supremes as late as the JML period, the public would've tired of the look still. That age of the female group was old hat. JML could rely on their vocals without any need to continue the old image. I don't believe I've ever seen the flower dresses photo before, but it's instantly a fav of mine.

The "Lean On Me" shot is another great one. And I have to vehemently disagree with TYK about the look on Model Of the Year. That's the perfect glam image for that period in time, if the group was going to "glam" it up. It's not over the top and it's not homely. They look beautiful.
    great points Ran. i too appreciate the look. would these ever be my favorite gowns and outfits - maybe not. but i do thing it was a fresh update. they were still wildly chic, which was the real point. think back to 66 and Diana really playing with the Vidal Sassoon and Rudy Gernreich looks with her wigs and personal clothing. so being willing to be ahead of the curve

with L and J, you really can see some of the opportunity to venture into more r&b. i've wondered if the girls couldn't have explored some glam hybrid of african gowns and robes. Diana did it with a sarong/mini dress in black red and green sequins and bugle beads. What if MJL had some fabulous gowns inspired by traditional african patterns and colors. they could have toys with some great headwear too besides just wigs. nothing costumey but venturing into new looks

i think if i had to review the Touch gowns, i'd skip the shawl wrap thing. they're just a bit too covered up. Lynda's has been pulled forward to cover her baby bump. frankly that's the more interesting of the 3! lolol with the wrap, they gowns are a bit matronly. a full voluminous skirt, not a ton of cleavage, arms and shoulders covered. perhaps have the wraps removable or incorporate a sexy slit in the skirt

in some of their outfits, they included coats and capes but they were removed at some point in the show which makes for an exciting reveal.

with