[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    River Deep Mountain High Central Park 1971



    courtesy of the seventies supreme page on Facebook

  2. #2
    I must have missed this I saw them in t summer of 70 in CP

  3. #3
    River Deep wasn’t released until November 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I must have missed this I saw them in t summer of 70 in CP

  4. #4
    Wow! I didn't know the Supremes held concerts in Central
    Park. They also sound amazing. Thank you for this.

  5. #5
    That’s comes at shock especially when she wrote about it in her book
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Wow! I didn't know the Supremes held concerts in Central
    Park. They also sound amazing. Thank you for this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,045
    I found it very hard to listen to that shrill manic energy and sound.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Thatís comes at shock especially when she wrote about it in her book
    Back the truck up!
    Say What!

  8. #8
    The performance on the This is Tom Jones show sound better and more rehearsed but I think the quality of this audio doesn't help. I bet it was much better standing there in Central park at the time.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Name:  A750A61C-DA46-4896-8090-D7695D4440CE.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  11.5 KBName:  3BC4CBF4-AC85-4247-8E81-4846FA192B91.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  9.9 KBName:  3BC4CBF4-AC85-4247-8E81-4846FA192B91.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  9.9 KB
    Last edited by blackguy69; 08-01-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Forgot a pic

  11. #11
    i saw the '70's Supremes in Central Park, but do not remember what year. I think they only appeared there once. I did a google search which did not help. It only pulled up Diana's appearance in Central Park.

    Did they actually appear there twice?

  12. #12
    They might've appeared as special guests for the Four Tops?

  13. #13
    The Supremes played the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park twice:

    8/12/70 with the Meters, and again on 7/14/71.

  14. #14
    The whole concert is on the seventies supremes Facebook page

  15. #15
    Concert lineup
    Feelin' Good/Loving Country/Together we Can make such sweet music
    We've Only Just Begun
    60s hits medley
    Love story
    River Deep
    Love the one you're with
    Can't take my eyes off you/quiet nights
    Everybody's got the right to love
    Nathan jones
    People
    Stoned Love
    Revival/Oh Happy Day

  16. #16
    I love Jean, but if this was how she performed live than I can see why there was some decline in popularity of their live shows. Jean comes off a bit too nasal and shrill. I preferred hearing Mary on some of her lead lines. Jean is an excellent singer but I honestly did not care for this. I had heard Mary sing this in a concert and she sounded wonderful, around 1997 or 1998.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I love Jean, but if this was how she performed live than I can see why there was some decline in popularity of their live shows. Jean comes off a bit too nasal and shrill. I preferred hearing Mary on some of her lead lines. Jean is an excellent singer but I honestly did not care for this. I had heard Mary sing this in a concert and she sounded wonderful, around 1997 or 1998.
    In all fairness to Jean, this is a very distorted tape. I donít think her vocals should be judged by this.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    In all fairness to Jean, this is a very distorted tape. I don’t think her vocals should be judged by this.
    From what I heard, I just didn't care for it. I have heard Jean sing live on television and she has a tendency to play around with her phrasing and vocals in that they sound different than the recordings. I wasn't judging here but I have to admit I thought if that was how she sounded live than it was a bit shrill and nasal in that tape.

  19. #19
    I never cared for the live performance of the girls at the copa 1967. The bootleg on Youtube just sounded terrible and I felt it was a good idea they never released it. But then they released it on the HDH expanded edition and I changed my mind. A bad recording of live performances can give us a bad impression. If placed at the right spot this might have been a wonderful recording of that live show. The audience is too loud and Cindy hardly audible as if it was someone in the audience recording this standing on one side rather than in the middle. It's not bad but still prefer Stoned Love from that Central Park show "also in the facebook page".

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    From what I heard, I just didn't care for it. I have heard Jean sing live on television and she has a tendency to play around with her phrasing and vocals in that they sound different than the recordings. I wasn't judging here but I have to admit I thought if that was how she sounded live than it was a bit shrill and nasal in that tape.
    even in some of the better sounding tv performances we have today, there's some distortion and deterioration of the sound.

    I haven't found her to be too shrill but i completely agree with you about how she approached the lyrics and melodies. Jean was one that never liked to sing the song the same way twice. and there are pros and cons with that. from an artistic POV, she was very inventive and resourceful, testing new things and "going for it." but from a listener's perspective, it can have a negative effect. First of all, if there's a lot of improvising and changes, the song can radically change from the studio version. So fans could be disappointed in that experience.

    Also some songs are more reliant on content, words, message and melody that others. For instance, Stoned Love has a clear story it's telling and the power of the song comes fro the perfect combination of a clear, unadorned lead vocal, angelic background vocals, strings and orchestra, and harmonies. It's clear Frank Wilson had her sing this very straightforward with only limited embellishments. and it's perfect that way.

    when you listen to Jean sing SL live on the Japan album, it's abysmal. she's so into her jazz-influenced ramblings that she mumbles the lyrics and practically avoids all of the melody.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.