[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - Supertonic Mixes...an Amazon bestseller

Anyone received their copies yet? Both the vinyl and CD are selling very well on Amazon.

Name:  8CB62EAD-F7FC-4F81-91F0-97D41B1F8667.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  12.3 KB

I pre-ordered both back in April. I called yesterday because I still haven’t received them. The Amazon rep apologized and said they sold out so fast and now they have gotten a new shipment. I don’t see how they didn’t have enough copies for the pre-orders.

When I checked on my order status the other day, it said it was the #1 new release in dance.

I received mine ..... On the back it says produced by Diana Ross.....
    I did not know this.

picking up my see through/translucent vinyl copy today at the post office..via Amazon..

I'm liking Surrender a lot, just wish - as someone had mentioned in another thread, [[ranran?) that she or whoever decided,had included the extended versions, that's where you get the interesting layers and excitement that builds on dance tracks.

I was interested to see it was released through Motown Records, through Universal Music.
    I guess Motown must still exist in some form and she must still have some kind of relationship with Motown/Universal.

My copy arrived yesterday and to my surprise, I actually like it very much. I'm usually not a big fan of remixes. In the past, I only liked the remix of SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER on DIANA EXTENDED.

But this new cd is pretty good. The mixes don't go on forever. And most importantly for me, they don't distort the original recordings to the point they are unrecognizable or needlessly repetitive.

Motown still exists!! in the year 2020 hip hop is dominant,Motown has huge success with hip hop and contemporary R&B

I ordered another copy which says will arrive tomorrow. I need to put this copy on my wall and save the other. Sorry everyone but Diana did a lot of things that should be recognized in the industry and they have failed to do that. Now years later 4 number one dance hits after they ere hits years ago ???? Have a seat everyone Ms. Ross is back !!! Now "Take Me Higher" !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I ordered another copy which says will arrive tomorrow. I need to put this copy on my wall and save the other. Sorry everyone but Diana did a lot of things that should be recognized in the industry and they have failed to do that. Now years later 4 number one dance hits after they ere hits years ago ???? Have a seat everyone Ms. Ross is back !!! Now "Take Me Higher" !!!!
    Not sure if it was shared but The Wall Street Journal took note:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/diana-r...ne-11592582812

Name:  IMG-4135.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  92.1 KB

My transparent vinyl copy arrived earlier this week: produced in the Netherlands, shipped to the UK and from there back to me in the Netherlands.

My buddy Philles/Motown_Gary said this is an excellent collection. I have so many Ross remix packages already that I'm not anxious to buy another. I bought the [[bootleg) 3 CD collection of "Almighty Remixes," and found it to be rather overlong and tedious, especially the "Diana Megamix" which is yet another medley like the ones Motown started way back with their "Superstar Series" of LPs.

But word on the street is this is a collection well worth buying.

By the way, Motown_Marc, the colored vinyl piece is stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by motown_marc View Post
    My transparent vinyl copy arrived earlier this week: produced in the Netherlands, shipped to the UK and from there back to me in the Netherlands.
    Funny that you mentioned that, as I have had similar situations arise in the past, including the most recent exclusive Target yellow vinyl pressing of the No. 1's compilation. That particular vinyl release was made in Canada, but I had to go across the border to the States to buy it.

Glad to have something "new" from our Supreme lady. I am still holding out for a new studio album from her, but at least we got something while we wait. I still think that there are better remixes that have been released in the past, but this release isn't a total waste. The remixes are simple, but in some ways reminds me of that Supremes disco hits medley that was released on 12" back in the day, as it takes the original songs and adds a dance beat layer on top. I like the "I'm Coming Out/Upside Down", "No One Gets the Prize" and "It's My House" remixes the most. It would also be nice to have an official release of the Almighty Remix album, which never came out on any physical medium, other than a limited digital release.

I bought the clear vinyl of the Supertonic Mixes and it looks pretty but the center spindle hole is slightly too small and you have to wiggle it off slowly from the turntable. I noticed my record is also slightly warped. Most new vinyl releases these days suffer from unfortunate quality control issues. I plan to grab the CD as well, later on.

Also great to see a relatively new photo of Ms Ross on the back cover of this compilation, as correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first release of hers in over 20 years to feature a recent photo of her. All of the releases that followed Every Day Is A New Day, such as Wonderful Christmas Time, Diamond Diana, I Love You, Love & Life, etc., all featured older photos from photo sessions that took place in the late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

Also great to see a relatively new photo of Ms Ross on the back cover of this compilation, as correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first release of hers in over 20 years to feature a recent photo of her. All of the releases that followed Every Day Is A New Day, such as Wonderful Christmas Time, Diamond Diana, I Love You, Love & Life, etc., all featured older photos from photo sessions that took place in the late 90's.
    Some of the photos for I LOVE YOU were actually taken in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes, you're right, Reese...both the front and back cover.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    penny pinching Ross.

I'm afraid Supertonic hasn't done that well in the UK.

With little promotion or radio play of any tracks only the die hard fans have bought the abum.

It started off the week at #73 on the top 100 albums, however when the new chart came out on Friday it wasn't even inside the top 200.

It managed #37 on the Physical Albums Chart but that's only about 6/700 sales.

Its all streaming nowadays.

I think I saw it debuted at #66 in Billboard - on the Top 200

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think I saw it debuted at #66 in Billboard - on the Top 200
    That’s pretty incredible and higher than some of her later year Motown albums if I’m not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    That’s pretty incredible and higher than some of her later year Motown albums if I’m not mistaken.
    It's all relative though. Charting at #66 in the 70's or 80's could mean that you sold 10,000 or 20,000 copies....these days, if you're charting at that same spot, it's doubtful that the artist even sold 1,000 physical units. I was reading back in March or April that some of the artists in the top 10 Billboard albums chart had only sold in the double digits that week [[ie. Under 100 physical albums). I hope this remix album continues to sell steadily. I get the sense that in our Ross fan base, there are a lot of fans who talk the talk, but when it comes time to show their support, such as buying a $12 CD...they aren't anywhere to be found. Maybe people are just sick of the compilations. I dunno. Either way, I bought my two copies and I've been playing them.

It's all relative though. Charting at #66 in the 70's or 80's could mean that you sold 10,000 or 20,000 copies....these days, if you're charting at that same spot, it's doubtful that the artist even sold 1,000 physical units. I was reading back in March or April that some of the artists in the top 10 Billboard albums chart had only sold in the double digits that week [[ie. Under 100 physical albums). I hope this remix album continues to sell steadily. I get the sense that in our Ross fan base, there are a lot of fans who talk the talk, but when it comes time to show their support, such as buying a $12 CD...they aren't anywhere to be found. Maybe people are just sick of the compilations. I dunno. Either way, I bought my two copies and I've been playing them.
    I also bought the vinyl and CD. Very nice to have

I thought the distribution was a smart idea. She gave us exactly what we have been wanting Vinyl, CD, and downloads backed up with at least 4 songs that couldn't miss putting her back on the charts prior to releasing new music.

Again,the only big surprise to me was SURRENDER which I have not heard her sing in concert forever. Anyway if there is a reason to put out a new CD I would say if this SUPERTONIC did well. Time will tell.

Talking the talk is big around here - just like constantly promoting every Mary Wilson live appearance but never attending any. He he he Lol lol lol!