[REMOVE ADS]

Singles and Television

I just wanted to pose a question of the television appearances in the 1970's. Do you think that television appearances made or broke their singles. I know I read that when they did Up The Ladder on Ed Sullivan it really helped spur sales because it was their first appearance and single, plus it was a very good song. I know Everybody's Got The Right To Love was also on television a good deal but it only made it to #21, much like Diana's Reach Out and Touch only hit #20 because they were similar types of songs. Stoned Love was a great song, was on television. After that, it seems like I hardly remember seeing them on tv until they were promoting Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love when Lynda joined. I don't remember seeing Nathan Jones, Touch, Floy Joy or Automatically Sunshine on television during their releases. Do you think had they been on television more singing these songs that they would have done better on the charts> Nathan hit 16,Floy Joy 16 and Automatically 38. They promoted Sweet Sweet Love quite a bit on television but it was already the third single on the LP and not the catchiest single they had. They promoted I Guess I'll Miss The Man and Bad Weather on television quite a bit but both were 2 songs that were departures from their sound and Motown's interest was elsewhere now on many of their artists. My thoughts are when they were not on television promoting Nathan Jones, Touch,Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine-did that contribute to them losing some momentum? By the time Scherrie joined and Mary and her shared leads, the group had not been on television very much for 2 years and had changes in the line up and sound. Still, do you think the television appearances helped or hurt them in 1975 when they had such frantic dance routines to their current singles? I always loved seeing them and would buy the singles regardless but I am a fan-I am thinking about the general public.

Didn't they perform Nathan Jones on tv in the UK? It went all the way to number 5 here. I would like to know the gap too. Seems they were on the This is Tom Jones show doing Stoned Love and River Deep and then the medley of Stoned/It's time to break [[Flip Wilson) and then nothing till Lynda joined. Another performance that comes to mind is where they sing Floy Joy and Cindy sings a verse. Only heard an audio of this but never seen footage.
    Last edited by TYK1986; 07-26-2020 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Forgot flip wilson

They did Nathan Jones on the Tonight Show, Floy Joy was sung live on Merv and later on Soul Train. Touch was sung on Flip Wilson and Later in that Model of the Year special. As far as I know they never did Automatically Sunshine on tv

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    They did Nathan Jones on the Tonight Show, Floy Joy was sung live on Merv and later on Soul Train. Touch was sung on Flip Wilson and Later in that Model of the Year special. As far as I know they never did Automatically Sunshine on tv
    I never did see them sing Nathan Jones on the Tonight Show or Floy Joy on The Merv Griffin Show and I must have missed Touch on Flip Wilson, as I had seen the others. When they did Floy Joy on Soul Train, I thought it was after it had been a single and I know Touch had been out in 1971 and the Model of the Year was 2 years later. I never did see any Automatically Sunshine on TV as that is probably around the time Cindy was leaving and Lynda was coming in. There are a number of times I saw Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love on television, but being the third single of the album and with a new member I wonder how the general public reacted. It only hit #59 and when they did the next 2 singles on a number of shows it didn't seem to help. I just noticed that after Stoned Love and until Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love that the television appearances were not what they were for the first 3 singles, which all hit the top 25. Just curious why there were less appearances and whether or not if they had more television exposure it would have helped them to rise higher than #16 twice and #38.

I love Automatically sunshine and find it sad it was never performed, as far as I know, on tv. They did add it to their 70's hit medley. Maybe after Frank Wilson stopped working with them they were busy recording to find a new sound to work with. The Promises kept sessions were recorded mid 71 till Jan 72 and Floy Joy around the same time. Were they not touring a lot around the time Lynda joined and Automatically was released. Maybe because Jean was ill and then Mary afterwards they decided not to do tv appearances. Also to not confuse the public with all the changes in line-up till the then current line-up was back together. First [[Jean, Mary, Cindy) - then [[Jean, Mary, Lynda) - [[Mary, Cindy Lynda) - [[Jean, Cindy, Lynda) and finally the then current line-up of Jean mary and Lynda. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by TYK1986; 07-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I just wanted to pose a question of the television appearances in the 1970's. Do you think that television appearances made or broke their singles. I know I read that when they did Up The Ladder on Ed Sullivan it really helped spur sales because it was their first appearance and single, plus it was a very good song. I know Everybody's Got The Right To Love was also on television a good deal but it only made it to #21, much like Diana's Reach Out and Touch only hit #20 because they were similar types of songs. Stoned Love was a great song, was on television. After that, it seems like I hardly remember seeing them on tv until they were promoting Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love when Lynda joined. I don't remember seeing Nathan Jones, Touch, Floy Joy or Automatically Sunshine on television during their releases. Do you think had they been on television more singing these songs that they would have done better on the charts> Nathan hit 16,Floy Joy 16 and Automatically 38. They promoted Sweet Sweet Love quite a bit on television but it was already the third single on the LP and not the catchiest single they had. They promoted I Guess I'll Miss The Man and Bad Weather on television quite a bit but both were 2 songs that were departures from their sound and Motown's interest was elsewhere now on many of their artists. My thoughts are when they were not on television promoting Nathan Jones, Touch,Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine-did that contribute to them losing some momentum? By the time Scherrie joined and Mary and her shared leads, the group had not been on television very much for 2 years and had changes in the line up and sound. Still, do you think the television appearances helped or hurt them in 1975 when they had such frantic dance routines to their current singles? I always loved seeing them and would buy the singles regardless but I am a fan-I am thinking about the general public.
    i think TV would have especially helped Reach Out and Touch and Everybody’s because they performed way better on sales charts indicating lack of airplay in some markets. We know Diana can sell a song on TV. Ditto Remember Me and Perhaps I’m Still Waiting and Reach Out I’ll be there. I don’t think TV would have helped Surrender, Automatically, Sweet Sweet Love, Gotta Have Love or Touch - I’m not sure about Bad Weather and IGIMTM because they were more evvective live than the records.

im certain Reach Out would have been a top 5 record with TV, and if lipped, I’m Still Waiting. Her live version bites, but that chorus, if heard, would sell it.

I wonder why EGTRTL wasn't presented on Sullivan? His show was on for another year. The Supremes were still HOT in 1970. Was this Berry's way of washing his hands?