[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and the Supremes singing in Italian.

I never knew they performed this on TV or live together.

https://www.facebook.com/1501935284/...796552067/?d=n

That "live" performance is lip synced to a studio track. I have a copy on [[what I now suspect is a bootleg CD) "With Love [[From Us to You)". The only information on the CD is that the Italian version was recorded in 1967. Edit: and on second view it looks like Diana is reading from a cue card off stage.
    Last edited by thanxal; 07-25-2020 at 09:19 PM.

It was also released in 1967 as a single [[in a picture sleeve) in Italy. I went to Italy a few years ago and was very happy to have found this one at a record store in Rome. It was not cheap but I rationalized that it would be a personal souvenir from a very memorable trip.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes...elease/3454832

One thing I will say Cindy could always do the dance moves better than Flo

"L'amore Verrą" and it's B-side "Se Il Filo Spezzerai" [["You Keep Me Hanging On") both can be found [[in addition of the four German Supremes songs) on the official Motown release Motown around the World -- released in 1987 as a one-disc CD
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moto...elease/2097365
    and [[a different version but same title) in 2010 as a double-disc CD
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moto...elease/2452472

I was surprised the songs were not added to the expanded edition of Sing H-D-H, as it would have fit the timeline [[and the German songs were added to the expanded edition of More Hits).

They look absolutely gorgeous! Imagine having to sing in another language live on stage. The girls must have been nervous despite lip syncing. First time I've seen them perform live in Italy. Didn't even know they went there.

Silly me, as I didn't check out the link to this video until now. I was getting mixed up with their appearance on Spanish TV, and thought I had already seen this. However, this is also new to me. Great find, thanks for sharing! I noticed Cindy only has one earring during this performance.

I noticed that each of them only had one earring on. Also noticed the clever camera work which camouflaged what must have been their difficulty to lip sync in a foreign language.

It showed them singing side by side instead of Diana up front, and there were minimal close ups. The camera rotated so that a good period of time, we saw their backsides and not their faces, part of it was shadowy, and when Diana did have to sing some difficult words up close, you could see that she was looking slightly to the right of the camera so perhaps she was reading the words phonetically off a cue card.

Mary and Cindy basically had to sing the same phrase repeatably and both of them looked good and did well, but there was an interesting look on Mary's face during the final close up at the end of the video where her eyes got wider. I could not figure out if it was confusion, surprise, fear or what, but I found it endearing

First time that I saw this video. Enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

there was an interesting look on Mary's face during the final close up at the end of the video where her eyes got wider. I could not figure out if it was confusion, surprise, fear or what, but I found it endearing
    It appears that Mary's left eye lashes were starting to stick together. She widens her eyes to keep this from becoming permanent, although it's a good thing the song was seconds from it's end. What would have happened had this occurred earlier in the song? Would she have performed the whole song looking like she was petrified at the prospect of being unable to hurry love?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    One thing I will say Cindy could always do the dance moves better than Flo
    I've always thought that was the one superior trait that Cindy brought to Flo's spot. She definitely had a better, more natural, dancing ability, and it actually gave the group a slicker look.

great video and always wonderful to find another one like this. you know the girls appeared on zillions of local tv shows and all. imagine how many more like this could pop up

Isn't that Flo on background, not Cindy?

Quote Originally Posted by grangertim View Post
    Isn't that Flo on background, not Cindy?
    Supposedly it's actually Marlene Barrow on background in place of Florence. But Cindy had a job to do and the Supremes had a record in Italy to promote with no regard for accuracy on background vocals.

They all look so beautiful. Kudos for their graceful moves, too. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Supposedly it's actually Marlene Barrow on background in place of Florence. But Cindy had a job to do and the Supremes had a record in Italy to promote with no regard for accuracy on background vocals.
    Flo is not on the original US recording but she is on the Italian one

the vocals for YCHL were recorded on July 5, 66. The girls were scheduled to record on July 4 but Flo didn't arrive. So D and M recorded What Becomes of the Brokenhearted. D did lead and then also recorded the backgrounds with Mary

Then on the 5th, the girls returned to the studio and Marlene joined them. They did Misery Makes It's Home, Just a Little Misunderstanding, Slow Down, You Can't Hurry Love, Come on and See Me.