[REMOVE ADS]

US Postal Service to review stamp honoring Florence Ballard

It is getting closer to being approved!

Not gonna happen. Comparing Flo to Elvis Presley, Sarah Vaughn, Patsy Cline, Jimi Hendryx, Marvin Gaye, and Janis Joplin is a mile long stretch.

I think that is wonderful for the legacy of Florence Ballard and for the Supremes. Miss Ballard was a founding member of the most popular female group of the 1960's, so her contribution to the music should be honored in this way. I would definitely compare the impact of any of the members of the original Supremes in music, culture and society.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I think that is wonderful for the legacy of Florence Ballard and for the Supremes. Miss Ballard was a founding member of the most popular female group of the 1960's, so her contribution to the music should be honored in this way. I would definitely compare the impact of any of the members of the original Supremes in music, culture and society.
    I could see the DMF lineup getting a stamp although I’m not sure what the rules are as Diana and Mary are both still alive. A solo Florence stamp is unlikely to be produced. As with Marvin, we will probably also see stamps for Diana, Smokey, and Stevie but again, they will have to be no longer with us before that can happen.

I do hope Flo gets a stamp but if not her, then the Supremes [[the three originals) one day but maybe Diana and Mary would have had to be long gone before that happens.

I don't think a Florence stamp will happen though. The Supremes were founded by three women, not one.

You don't get a stamp unless you've been dead for some time.

Elvis got his in 1993 and he had been dead since 1977.
    Muddy Waters got his the same year, I think, as did Dinah Washington.

Marvin is the only Motown legend to get a stamp so far. Took almost 35 years but he finally got one.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I do hope Flo gets a stamp but if not her, then the Supremes [[the three originals) one day but maybe Diana and Mary would have had to be long gone before that happens.

I don't think a Florence stamp will happen though. The Supremes were founded by three women, not one.

Marvin is the only Motown legend to get a stamp so far. Took almost 35 years but he finally got one.
    Since 2011, living persons can also be on a US stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Where is Mary Wilson’s?

I love Marvin and will always love Marvin and got his stamps the first day thye came out and put them in a real pretty frame.

I didn't know that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I love Marvin and will always love Marvin and got his stamps the first day thye came out and put them in a real pretty frame.
    Sweet!
    I celebrated the day it was announced he was getting a stamp.

Sweet!
    I celebrated the day it was announced he was getting a stamp.
    The Lena Horne stamps were pretty darn exquisite too!

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    The Lena Horne stamps were pretty darn exquisite too!
    I know. It looked as beautiful as her.

I know. It looked as beautiful as her.
    A friend surprised me with a Lena book with her stamps tucked inside. I could see a Supremes stamp being just as beautiful.

As a huge Flo fan, I love the idea. Fingers crossed.

Weren't there girl groups stamps issued some years back? Were the original Supremes not represented? I could've sworn Mary Wilson did a lot of campaigning for the set.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As a huge Flo fan, I love the idea. Fingers crossed.

Weren't there girl groups stamps issued some years back? Were the original Supremes not represented? I could've sworn Mary Wilson did a lot of campaigning for the set.
    In 2004 The Supremes did get at group stamp. It was Mary Wilson who spearheaded the entire project.

The Supremes were NOT issued a stamp by the United States Postal Service. In 2001, they were part of a series in GHANA honoring girl groups:

https://www.stampworld.com/stamps/Gh...-stamps/g3203/

Okay, I knew I wasn't crazy. I remember Mary having a lot to do with the stamps and that there was eventually stamp recognition, it's just that it wasn't the USPS. Got it.

It's still quite an honor.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Okay, I knew I wasn't crazy. I remember Mary having a lot to do with the stamps and that there was eventually stamp recognition, it's just that it wasn't the USPS. Got it.

It's still quite an honor.
    Yep and nice to see the Ronettes as well - talk about unsung!

A friend surprised me with a Lena book with her stamps tucked inside. I could see a Supremes stamp being just as beautiful.
    I agree. Here's to hope we get a Supremes stamp in the near future!

Love Flo
    also Eddie, Paul, David and Melvin
    Nuff said

Mary recently went on some tangent about how it's HER that's spearheading this project to get Flo a stamp. Calm down girl. We know what your follow through is like. Let the fans do their thing; they got you a star and into the Rock Hall. Meanwhile we're still waiting for "Clarity".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Mary recently went on some tangent about how it's HER that's spearheading this project to get Flo a stamp. Calm down girl. We know what your follow through is like. Let the fans do their thing; they got you a star and into the Rock Hall. Meanwhile we're still waiting for "Clarity".
    Mary went off on a tangent? Why I do declare! Was it about Princess Margaret? “I’m still waiting” on her interview with that potato. The hubcap interview was most insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Lol yeah I did read that she was doing all of this. Like I said, Florence was only one of three. I mean it wouldn't even be fair to HER to call her THE founder since Milton Jenkins was the founder of them when he was looking for his sister group for the Primes [[Primettes). Sure, Flo "founded" Mary and Diana [[I think Betty McGlown only joined because she was Paul Williams' girlfriend at the time; according to Paul, he suggested Diana as well but the way Mary tells it NOW, it was Florence that asked Mary about Diana, the stories keep changing but that's another topic and we know how we can go off topic a lot).

Lol yeah I did read that she was doing all of this. Like I said, Florence was only one of three. I mean it wouldn't even be fair to HER to call her THE founder since Milton Jenkins was the founder of them when he was looking for his sister group for the Primes [[Primettes). Sure, Flo "founded" Mary and Diana [[I think Betty McGlown only joined because she was Paul Williams' girlfriend at the time; according to Paul, he suggested Diana as well but the way Mary tells it NOW, it was Florence that asked Mary about Diana, the stories keep changing but that's another topic and we know how we can go off topic a lot).

Well......there's some truth to that!

I knew this one person whose Grandfather met Florence as she was raising money for her new Primettes group.He turned the offer for money down.

Little did he know of the success of both "Buttered Popcorn" and ESPECIALLY "When The Lovelight Shines Through His Eyes/Where Did Our Love Go"
    Last edited by IMissFlo93; 07-30-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    Well......there's some truth to that!

I knew this one person whose Grandfather met Florence as she was raising money for her new Primettes group.He turned the offer for money down.

Little did he know of the success of both "Buttered Popcorn" and ESPECIALLY "When The Lovelight Shines Through His Eyes/Where Did Our Love Go"
    I think Mary said all of them were doing that? To me, I feel Diana and Flo were more like the natural leaders of the group.

Flo only recruited Mary. When they all met up for the first time, Diana and Betty were already there waiting. Flo and Mary did go to Diana’s father/mother to ask if she could officially join after the meeting.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, I just realized the idea that we would see an USPS issued “Flo Ballard” stamp before one honoring Aretha Franklin [[or at all) just goes to show how delusional some fans are. Please keep in mind: the USPS issues stamps to honor those who are on the brains of the average Joes, not a niche group of fans. When I talk to the boomers who casually bought and listened to Motown and still know every word to every Supremes hit, I have yet to meet any who’ve felt impacted by Florence or Mary on a personal level. It is almost always the group as a unit or Diana who registers. The fans, many in the black community of a certain age, or Detroit natives might feel otherwise but to 99% of the population, it ain’t necessarily so!

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, I just realized the idea that we would see an USPS issued “Flo Ballard” stamp before one honoring Aretha Franklin [[or at all) just goes to show how delusional some fans are. Please keep in mind: the USPS issues stamps to honor those who are on the brains of the average Joes, not a niche group of fans. When I talk to the boomers who casually bought and listened to Motown and still know every word to every Supremes hit, I have yet to meet any who’ve felt impacted by Florence or Mary on a personal level. It is almost always the group as a unit or Diana who registers. The fans, many in the black community of a certain age, or Detroit natives might feel otherwise but to 99% of the population, it ain’t necessarily so!
    GOOD QUESTION! If any other icon of Detroit should get the stamp next, it SHOULD be ARETHA! Not a woman who was basically a backing singer for a GROUP.

How many Detroit music legends get a stamp?

Just Marvin, I guess.

I have no idea who else... and Aretha was basically the musical ambassador of Detroit!!!

I wish Mary the best. It doesn’t hurt to try. This would be great for Flo’s fans and legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I wish Mary the best. It doesn’t hurt to try. This would be great for Flo’s fans and legacy.
    I agree but over forty years of Mary “trying” when it comes to Flo hasn’t amounted to much other than when she wrote “Diana Dearest” in 1986. It’s been frustrating for the fans to have nothing else ever seem to come to fruition. Even the things that have been put out on Flo by others have been questionable at best.

GOOD QUESTION! If any other icon of Detroit should get the stamp next, it SHOULD be ARETHA! Not a woman who was basically a backing singer for a GROUP.

How many Detroit music legends get a stamp?

Just Marvin, I guess.

I have no idea who else... and Aretha was basically the musical ambassador of Detroit!!!
    I have to agree with you. As much as I love Flo, Aretha should be in the front of this particular queue.

Diana championing for a stamp of herself:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-31-2020 at 07:52 PM.