[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Making Plans for Her Eighties

The legendary Dionne Warwick had been planning a farewell tour of Europe for this fall, but has now announced a postponement due to the coronavirus threat. However all those dates have been re-scheduled for the fall of 2021. She turns 80 in December, which means she will be almost 81 when she wraps up that tour.

You gotta love her spunk and resilience. I had somewhat expected a retirement announcement once the boxed set and Christmas album came out this year, but it looks like she is showing no signs of slowing down. It would be great if there were still some vault material out there but I don't see how, given the tremendous amount of re-issues she has had over the years.

It's hard to stop when you love what you do. Hopefully this virus hits an end soon and our legends can get back to doing what they love.

On her Facebook page, Darlene Love lamented that she has not had any paying gigs since December, with most dates being postponed until next year because of the pandemic. She hopes that she'll still be able to do them, as she will turn 80 in 2021. In the meantime, she is going to be doing some of those personalized messages via Cameo.

I think she needs to work...which is unfortunate at 80. I'm not sure how artists are paid for their recorded music and if it is enough to sustain them, but many have to keep performing because that's their income. And some continue to perform well beyond their "best before date".

Gotta pay that mortgage whether you are a singer or waitress.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 07-21-2020 at 10:03 AM.

I hope Dionne will be well. She has had at least one bankruptcy and her touring schedule was pretty robust so I assume she was doing it because she needed the money. She will be 80 and should be slowing down. I saw her in 2019 and though she had a rough beginning, once she warmed up she sounded pretty good.

She is a musical pioneer that really hasn't gotten her real just dues... without Dionne, a lot of the black female artists that came after her wouldn't had been able to have pop success and I stand by that.

I agree with all your comments. I sang her "Walk On By" in high school! Still love the lyrics!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    She is a musical pioneer that really hasn't gotten her real just dues... without Dionne, a lot of the black female artists that came after her wouldn't had been able to have pop success and I stand by that.
    Totally agree with you on that.