[REMOVE ADS]

Motown & The Hot 100

Having recently gone through the Billboard Hot 100 charts for the 60s, it was fascinating to watch the Motown artists fly up the charts. Some at a faster pace but still much fun to see how and when they entered. I didn't realize how high they entered the chart for the first time, namely, The Supremes. But one of my biggest reminders was Gladys Knight & The Pips, "Grapevine" going all the way to #2 for a couple weeks I believe. In my mind I thought it was lower 20s or upper teens but it was quite surprising to see this information again. I remember hearing this song and loved it immediately. If this one didn't pull you in I don't know what could. Gladys was meant for that song. Then a year later we had Marvin's version which is in a class by itself. If you have access to these Joel Whitburn books they are quite magnificent to look at from time to time. Thanks to a friend of mine from Michigan who inspired me to get a couple of these. Some of the books are expensive but they also have eBooks now at almost half the price. There were DVD-ROM but they are out of print. Check out recordresearch.com.

Yes, I love reading stuff like this.

Equally as interesting are a few books I have read numerous times. One is titled, "The Billboard Book of #1 Rhythm & Blues Hits." The other is similarly titled, but focuses on Pop #1 Hits. Each entry describes the origins of each song an also discusses who the session musicians were. Well worth the reads.

Exactly, lockhartgary. I am familiar with so many of these and they are loaded with really cool information. I'm so glad Whitburn brought all these charts back to life as they are a valuable resource for those of us interested in chart history. You might just find something you forgot about.

For those with a particular interest in Motown label records making the charts, I recommend Joel's 'Comparison Book'. This not only lists all records to make the Billboard, Cashbox & Record World/Music Vendor charts but also all records that featured in their respective 'Bubbling Under' sections. The following artists [[as Motown acts) all never made the Top 100 of any of the charts but had entries in the 'BU category:-

Barbara Randolph [[both her singles), Tony Martin, the Ones, Paul Peterson, Blinky & the Pirates [[obviously the last act made the charts as the Temptations). In addition acts such as Chris Clark and Shorty Long, who had limited entries in Top 100, had releases that made the 'BU' section but did not make the main charts. The above list is by no means comprehensive and I have just picked the names out as random. It would be interesting to know what the sales figures were for the relevant releases.

Right Peter. Also it's interesting for many songs that popped onto the "BU" chart, entered the Hot 100 and then drop back down again and even return later. These books are priceless.

I love these books too. I have the one that compares the chart rankings on BB CB and RW. Interesting differences sometimes. Recently I saw that Please Mr Postman had actually dropped in the 30s before it re-climbed to #1!

A few I saw were at #1 then dropped to 2 or 3 and then shot back up to #1. Of course one of those was The Beatles but there were a couple others. Even if a song got "stuck" at #2 I always considered it a #1. The Supremes could kick the Beatles out of the top spot but not Bobbie Gentry. That one annoyed me to no end...hahaha. Reflections is a great song, moreso than Billy Joe.

Ode to Billie Joe was the top song of the year and nothing could dislodge it; I think Reflections has aged better and is more closely identified with those times - the later 60’s

Didn’t Come see about me go to number 1 then 2 then number 1 again?

I stopped following music in the 1980s. Did any other song make the #1 slot, fall off the charts completely, and then rise to number 1 again in a different year other than "The Twist"

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Didn’t Come see about me go to number 1 then 2 then number 1 again?
    I believe you are right Luke. I'm certain I noticed that last week. lockhartgary, That is a very interesting question which I'm sure someone will know. Not number one but The Contours had the advantage of Do You Love Me in 1962 at #3 and due to Dirty Dancing they hit with it again in 1988 at #11. Common knowledge really but still quite a milestone.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 07-25-2020 at 02:20 PM.