[REMOVE ADS]

The groupings-who worked with who? I think this is the correct history.

I was seeing some posts on Facebook that got me to thinking about how many different group members did each of them work with in the Supremes? I was thinking that I would also include the Former Ladies of the Supremes and Return To Love as they are part of the umbrella of the group.
    MARY WILSON-Mary was there from beginning to end and worked with all of them-Florence Ballard, Diana Ross, Cindy Birdsong,Jean Terrell,Lynda Laurence, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene.
    SCHERRIE PAYNE- Scherrie worked with Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong and Susaye Greene in the Supremes,with Jean Terrell and Lynda Laurence in the Flos and with Diana Ross in RTL.
    DIANA ROSS-Diana worked with Florence, Mary and Cindy in the Supremes as well as with Lynda and Scherrie in RTL.
    CINDY BIRDSONG-Cindy worked with Diana Ross, Mary Wilson,Jean Terrell and Scherrie Payne in the Supremes.She also worked with Lynda Laurence in Hawaii and the Copa.
    JEAN TERRELL-Jean worked with Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong and Lynda Laurence in the Supremes.She also worked with Scherrie Payne in the FLOs.
    LYNDA LAURENCE-Lynda worked with Jean Terrell and Mary Wilson in the Supremes. She also worked with Cindy Birdsong in Hawaii and the Copa. She also worked with Scherrie Payne in the FLOs and with Diana Ross in RTL.
    SUSAYE GREENE-Susaye worked with Scherrie Payne and Mary Wilson in the Supremes, she now works again with Scherrie in the FLOS.
    FLORENCE BALLARD-Florence worked with Diana Ross and Mary Wilson in the original groupings of the Supremes.
    Also, I intentionally left out some people but will mention that Barbara Martin sang with Diana, Florence and Mary on some songs in the Supremes before deciding she did not want to be in the group. Marlene Barrow worked with Diana Ross and Mary Wilson on some dates Florence could not make and they offered her a spot but she declined.
    Sundray Tucker was considered a replacement for Cindy Birdsong in the Supremes but they opted for her sister Lynda Laurence. She did end up as a member of the FLOs with Lynda and Scherrie but was never an official Supreme.
    Joyce Vincent was considered to become a Supreme had the group gone on after Mary Wilson left but it officially disbanded. Now, Joyce sings with Scherrie and Susaye in the FLOs in what would have been the group had it gone on . She also sang with Lynda in the FLOs. Joyce was also never officially a Supreme but like Sundray-she almost became a member of the group.
    I hope that is the correct history. There certainly seems to be more cooperation among all of them then I sometimes see here

Does it count that Flo appeared on stage with Scherrie, Mary and Cindy for one or two songs? I can't recall if she actually sang with them though.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Does it count that Flo appeared on stage with Scherrie, Mary and Cindy for one or two songs? I can't recall if she actually sang with them though.
    I forgot that Florence came up for a song or two at Magic Mountain. I don't believe she sang but tapped a tambourine for "Love Train", if memory serves me correctly. I am not sure if that counts because she didn't perform the show with them but I will leave that to everyone if they feel she performed with them or not. That one I couldn't really say.

Great work Jim! I had never thought to wonder how many other Supremes each lady sang with. The only issue I have with your list is that you lumped Barbara Martin in with the likes of Marlene Barrow, Sundray Tucker, and others. Barbara was an official Supreme, an original member, not a replacement, not a fill in, not a wannabe, and I think she deserves to be treated as such.

Regarding Florence, your original post says "worked with", so I personally wouldn't consider that she worked with Cindy and Scherrie at Magic Mountain just because she came onstage for a song and beat a tambourine. However, in a roundabout way, one might say she worked with Cindy because the Supremes and Bluebelles often performed together on the same bill. But of course that's stretching it.

Great Job Jim and you're right Florence never really sang at Magic Mountain. Kelly Rowland sung with Cindy and Mary at Motown 40 but that doesn't make her a Supreme either.