[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes update

This could expalian that "Marv-A-lette" Thing........nice article!

http://www.charles-thomson.net/marvelettes.html
    Last edited by loveblind; 04-02-2011 at 08:17 PM.

That was a very, very nice article! Thank you Loveblind.

Excellent Loveblind. Absolutely EXCELLENT.

Thank you

Wow, what insight on Gladys journey. Thanks so much for posting this article. What is the status of Katherine getting the legal right to the name Marvelettes?

smark21 Guest
    Excellent and informative article.

Really informative. This fellow really does his research. Not sure why the original poster thought it explained the "Marv-a-lette thing." I didn't see any misspellings or references like that.

Good to hear that Kat will have more control of the Marvelettes name, and I think her idea for an official tribute group will be a winner if there is backing from UMG, this could be a win = win situation. Lets hope that Vol 2 of the Marvelettes brings these ladies the rewards they deserve, so sad to hear of Wanda's battle, I hope that she is well looked after and comfortable.

Thank you, LoveBlind. That was a very nice article. I had no idea that Gladys' son Alfonso had been murdered in the 90's. That's so sad. Gladys had went through so much. Out of all the former Motown artists, I think I have the most respect for Gladys Horton and the rest of The Marvelettes [[and Flo as well). They did so much for the label and in return, they were given so little, yet they still managed to pull through and continue. They never really caused any trouble, nor did they ever fight with one another. They remained classy. They could have done and said a lot more against Berry Gordy and the label, after considering the poor treatment they were given. But they didn't. Gladys worked so hard. She seemed like a genuine, sweet lady. Rest in peace, Gladys. I wish I had the pleasure to have met her. As a fan, I will always cherish the Marvelettes' music.

I'm also looking forward to Volume 2. I also hope there are still plans to do a Marvelettes Anthology. I would buy it in a second. They deserve one.

If Kat is intending to take control, is this the reason why she is the defendent in the legal case.

There would be some irony if Larry Marshak was now trying to stop Katherine promoting her own version of the Marvelettes

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thank you, LoveBlind. That was a very nice article. I had no idea that Gladys' son Alfonso had been murdered in the 90's. That's so sad. Gladys had went through so much.
    Sadly, Katherine as well lost a son, Jason 'Tony' Schaffner, as a result of a murder in Detroit. I remember the headline at the time quoted her as saying "He never met a stranger."

This is so sad, Kenneth. I didn't know Katherine had lost her son as well. Wanda also went through tragedy. I believe it was her sister or best friend who was shot? These ladies have been through so much. Bless their hearts.

Yes, I believe her sister's best friend was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend in Detroit, and Wanda's sister was mistaken for the friend and murdered by him. Such things are far too common of an occurrence in my home town.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Really informative. This fellow really does his research. Not sure why the original poster thought it explained the "Marv-a-lette thing." I didn't see any misspellings or references like that.
    He did a good job with the article except he said Wanda's last performance was in Pontchitrain, Louisiana. NOT! It was the Pontchitrain Hotel in Downtown Detroit. I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This is so sad, Kenneth. I didn't know Katherine had lost her son as well. Wanda also went through tragedy. I believe it was her sister or best friend who was shot? These ladies have been through so much. Bless their hearts.
    Carlo, It was her sister that was shot and killed.

Yes, I believe her sister's best friend was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend in Detroit, and Wanda's sister was mistaken for the friend and murdered by him. Such things are far too common of an occurrence in my home town.
    So true Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    If Kat is intending to take control, is this the reason why she is the defendent in the legal case.

There would be some irony if Larry Marshak was now trying to stop Katherine promoting her own version of the Marvelettes
    Larry Marshak ought to just go to Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He did a good job with the article except he said Wanda's last performance was in Pontchitrain, Louisiana. NOT! It was the Pontchitrain Hotel in Downtown Detroit. I was there.
    Ah, yes! I should have caught that!

Kenneth, there is an ongoing discussion concerning a fake group of Marvelettes who are being promoted as The Marvalettes [[hence the "A") in New York. See this link:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...-coming-to-NYC

Well, if Katherine Anderson owns the name "Marvelettes" No one else can legally use it....So perhaps they will try "Marv-a-lettes" to avoid a lawsuit?

The Marvelous Marvelettes.. They have brought us SO much happiness, and yet, they have all suffered so much tragedy, and downright injustice...Paulo xxx

Maybe we could take up a collection and hire protesters at the venue site. I really wish the mainstream would do a major blitz on this crap. Probably too small an issue for Oprah.

Isn't Dennis Edwards and his Temptations sharing the bill with The MarvAlettes for the NY concert? Kinda sad. I wonder what his thoughts are on all of this? Maybe he has no choice because the bookings these days are fewer and fewer and the money is tight?

Carlo

Do you think Dennis knows? He'll probably be as surprised as the audience!

But I am not sure what he could practically do.

cross town,

I think that Dennis would know that he is on the bill with Fake MarvAlettes, he would know that the group has been disbanded for years, and of Gladys Horton's recent passing, but he too is now performing as part of a tribute act, lets hope that no members of his Temptations Review leave the group and set up their own 'Sounds of the Temptations' act claiming to lost Tempt's from the 80's.

A very good article. A writer to keep an eye on.
    What do you think: anyone thinks, anyone of the powers that were, would care, after what Kat has been saying?

I found http://www.sawfnews.com/Entertainment/66255.aspx, a nice interview with Martha Reeves from the same writer.
    If someone wants to move this to another thread, be my guest.
    Last edited by robbert; 04-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.