[REMOVE ADS]

Various Artists – Love Saves the Day: A History Of American Dance Music Culture 70-79

Disc 1:
    Tracklist:
    01 – Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin – Dibwe Diambula Kabanda
    02 – Chuck Mangione – Land Of Make Believe
    03 – Wilson Pickett – Don’t Knock My Love [[Part 1)
    04 – Wilson Pickett – Don’t Knock My Love [[Part 2)
    05 – James Brown – Give It Up Or Turn It Loose
    06 – Jackson 5 – Hum Along And Dance [[Uncut Version)
    07 – Brainstorm – Lovin’ Is Really My Game [[12″ Version)
    08 – Domenic Troiano – We All Need Love [[12″ Version)
    09 – Gladys Knight And The Pips – It’s Time To Go Now
    Disc 2:
    Tracklist:
    01 – Willie Hutch – Brother’s Gonna Work It Out
    02 – Charles Earland – Leaving This Planet
    03 – Laura Lee – [[If You Want To Try Love Again) Remember Me
    04 – The Modulations – I Can’t Fight Your Love
    05 – Margie Joseph – Prophecy
    06 – Blue Magic – Welcome To The Club
    07 – Twennynine with Lenny White – Fancy Dancer [[12″ Version)
    08 – Miroslav Vitous – New York City
    09 – Edgar Winter – Above and Beyond [[12″ Version)
    Name:  5ef6603ba46a1.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  15.6 KBName:  5ee7467ae0a94.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  12.2 KB

Certainly an eclectic little mixture.........

and on CD!

well there you have it the 70's HISTORY of American "dance music culture " all wrapped up in one convenient package.

uh huh..... for starters this is from 1968:

but what do facts matter in this day and age .... stick whatever claims on the cover and see if it sells

Could it be that sometimes tracks are discovered a few year later?

I don't like this collection at all and do not feel that it is a good representation of American Dance Music culture in the 70s. Many of these songs/recordings are totally unknown.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/72542

London-based author Tim Lawrence spent the last year compiling this latest album, which features both well-known and rare tracks from the '70s, with favourites of esteemed DJs like Larry Levan, David Mancuso, Nicky Siano and more. Artists featured include James Brown, Gladys Knight And The Pips, the Jackson 5, Wilson Pickett and Chuck Mangione. This first volume comes as a double-LP.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/72542

London-based author Tim Lawrence spent the last year compiling this latest album, which features both well-known and rare tracks from the '70s, with favourites of esteemed DJs like Larry Levan, David Mancuso, Nicky Siano and more. Artists featured include James Brown, Gladys Knight And The Pips, the Jackson 5, Wilson Pickett and Chuck Mangione. This first volume comes as a double-LP.
    Ok so the guy that came up with this list wasn't from America? That's why it did not register with me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ok so the guy that came up with this list wasn't from America? That's why it did not register with me at all.
    It's not that the music is terrible here...just too lofty a claim that these song's are somehow the 'special' ones ....above and beyond hundreds of others we could just as randomly combine and claim to represent.
    Now maybe this set explains the reason behind the choice of each song, that would be interesting .

Hey Marv, likely you have , but have you ever checked out the second half of DON"T KNOCK MY LOVE ? It's a trip , in more ways than one, and I can see how the loft party crowd took to its ambience.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-20-2020 at 01:00 PM.

This project first came out I think in 2008. I suspect it intended to release more volumes with many more selections depending on response.

an additional flaw is the inclusion of the uncut 15 minute version of HUM ALONG AND DANCE . While the album version was most likely heard in some parts of the 'American dance music culture' of the seventies , the uncut version was not - as it didn't see the light of day until around 2004.

fascinating to listen to Hal Davis tapping into Norman Whitfield here though .