[REMOVE ADS]

That Motown Sound Volume One STML 11217

IT appears if I'm not mistaken that this LP has a couple of exclusives that it has taken me 48 years to discover.
    Terry Johnson's amazing Whatcha Gonna Do appears to have been mixed especially for this LP into stereo for the first time and has never appeared anywhere else since and the alternate stereo mix of Yvonne Fair's, Stay A Little Longer is equally exclusive in that it also appears in stereo for the first time here and also so appears to have been ignored by compilers ever since. Please do correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like an LP that all fans should aim to get.

"The Motown Sound" LP has been mentioned before as has the Terry Johnson track which I posted on YouTube ...

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    "The Motown Sound" LP has been mentioned before as has the Terry Johnson track which I posted on YouTube ...
    Yes sounds like you dubbed in from LP

No I did a needle drop lol.

I believe Martha Reeves & The Vandellas "Sweet Darlin' " may have been an alternative vocal version too.

It is a fab LP - bought it in 1972 when it came out and it was the first time I'd heard most of the tracks. I associate them with summer time and "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling", "What'cha Gonna Do?" and "Abraham, Martin & John" typify that feeling.

My original album went with my vinyl collection in 2000 and I later bought a second hand copy from ebay [[so there are clicks on the YouTube vid). I don't have that copy either now but in 1978 I taped my original album for use in the car and I still have that around somewhere.

I would really welcome a clean copy on CD, maybe as a 2fer with Volume 2.

Paul

Yessss...I do remember this variation from the 45, which I had in the early 70s.. All coming back to me now. I felt at the time, as I still do now, that this was a weaker alternative vocal, but it is unique to the album
    Alas my CDr of this LP [[compiled earlier today) is made up from the 45.

I may slip this version onto something else

Each to their own of course, but this is far and away my favourite version of "What'cha Gonna Do". Also the first I heard so I really got used to it. The single version doesn't sound as good to me.

Terry Johnson doesn't get enought praise either. I'm not sold on ALL his Motown stuff but he fronts The Flamingos beautifully.

I think the first version you hear genetally wins out.

Each to their own of course, but this is far and away my favourite version of "What'cha Gonna Do". Also the first I heard so I really got used to it. The single version doesn't sound as good to me.

Terry Johnson doesn't get enought praise either. I'm not sold on ALL his Motown stuff but he fronts The Flamingos beautifully.

So which do you like better the single version or the album version?

"The Motown Sound" album version as per the video. That's the one I listen to [[and always listened to).

"The Motown Sound" album version as per the video. That's the one I listen to [[and always listened to).
    Ah the unique version in stereo only available there

Most folk will prefer the single version because they heard that one first. In my case the only version I knew of was the stereo album one from 1972 up till 2002 when Tamla Motown Big Hits & Hard To Find Classics Volume 4 was released and I thought it sounded odd on there.
    But what's your favourite Paul??