[REMOVE ADS]

You Tube Video Reaction to Where Did Our Love Go

This is just wonderful to watch. The sound of Diana s voice has sent him into ecstasy lol.
    It’s great fun to see someone who has never heard the Supremes before being moved in such a way. As a VERY young child I can remember hearing “Stop In The Name Of Love” on our radio at home with my ears suddenly transformed into antennae. I was so captivated by this fresh and exciting sound. There really was nothing else like it.

Yes, this was great to see. For those of us who weren't even thought of at the time "Where Did Our Love Go" hit the streets, this kind of first time reaction gives one, at least in part, an idea of what listeners must have felt as they drove in their cars or sat at home with radios going and hearing the sound of Diana Ross' sweet voice and the echoes of Mary [[and Flo?) for probably the first time. And let's not forget the incredible job the Funks are doing on this. It's all so simple, but sublime.

There's another reaction of Diana Ross' "Upside Down" from the 1981 TV special that I got a kick out of. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post it.

Oh, man! This brought back all the ecstasy of discovering The Supremes but, most of all, hearing that Voice for the very first time!!!

Thanks for posting!

love this kid discovering 'the girls' for the first time and getting that jolt that i got in 1964
    [[he got the year wrong) the first time I heard this in a 90 degree non air conditioned
    coming out the am single speaker car radio!and THAT voice.. hooked for life

There are hundreds of Youtube video reactions--it's cool watching these younger black kids reacting to videos like this, Stairway to Heaven, Johnny Cash's Hurt, etc. Granted, it's hard for me to believe there's anybody out there who hasn't heard Stairway to Heaven, but I guess I'm not 20 YO anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    There are hundreds of Youtube video reactions--it's cool watching these younger black kids reacting to videos like this, Stairway to Heaven, Johnny Cash's Hurt, etc. Granted, it's hard for me to believe there's anybody out there who hasn't heard Stairway to Heaven, but I guess I'm not 20 YO anymore.
    this kid is Jamaican so it's all new to him, discovering Motown..

Good for him! But I've seen tons of Americans discovering these songs! It's all good!

It was this song and Baby Love being performed on Ready, Steady, Go in the UK that resulted in me being hooked on Motown.

It's hard to imagine that in the UK there are many folk, of any age, who do not know these songs. You only have to walk into shops to hear them playing. However, I do understand that this cannot be the case the world over.

It's nice to see this chap's "Supremes awakening" like I had when very young all those years ago.

loved watching this . he gets it !!

Hard to believe that someone would not have heard of and/or actually heard The Supreme's or any Motown star, especially with their access to Youtube. When I was much younger than him, well before there was internet, I heard of all the older singers. Probably because my mother played them often. My husband is Jamaican and he said that American music, especially Motown, is played often and they have remakes of every American hit. Anyhow, I loved his reaction and he will expose other youth to this wonderful music.

NativeNuYorker--It's hard for me to believe too, but then again today, media is so split up into millions of pieces. It's not like the 80's where you had maybe 4 radio stations to listen to or four TV channels to watch--you were bound to be exposed to, say, Motown, eventually. That being said, I am thrilled that these kids are looking out of their comfort zones for older stuff. It's progress IMO! I've watched reaction videos to Johnny Cash's Hurt--and those kids cry during it! They totally get it. Another great reaction series to watch are kids reacting to Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky. It is amazing to me how these young people are understanding the meaning of these songs, maybe more than I did at their ages.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    NativeNuYorker--It's hard for me to believe too, but then again today, media is so split up into millions of pieces. It's not like the 80's where you had maybe 4 radio stations to listen to or four TV channels to watch--you were bound to be exposed to, say, Motown, eventually. That being said, I am thrilled that these kids are looking out of their comfort zones for older stuff. It's progress IMO! I've watched reaction videos to Johnny Cash's Hurt--and those kids cry during it! They totally get it. Another great reaction series to watch are kids reacting to Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky. It is amazing to me how these young people are understanding the meaning of these songs, maybe more than I did at their ages.
    Good points Bobby. It also seems like there is less of the piped in stuff that used to dominate our lives. Music in the supermarket , at McDonalds etc.. Personally I got sick of it, even if it was music I liked. I didn't necessarily want to put up with Madonna singing over the top of me while I'm trying to enjoy a meal.
    Less exposure that way too. You almost have to seek out music to get to it. But , it is easier to access whatever one chooses to seek out . That's a big difference these days . These kids now have no idea what it was like to have to wait an hour to finally hear one's current favorite song rotated for play on the radio again. Now on the phone , any song instantly heard as many times as desired, wherever you are.

And can you imagine the volume of unknown music a 16 year old has to sift through....