[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Bit Of Liverpool

I'm starting to appreciate this album as time goes on. I always thought the girls sound great, but the productions and even song selection doesn't really do it for me. I know it's not typically a fan favorite, but does anyone LOVE the album as is? For those who don't, what changes would you make? Any songs from British acts you would have loved for the girls to have covered at that point?

The biggest change I would make is replacing the LA musicians with the Funks. Why Motown wouldn't showcase the Funk Brothers on this, rather than the cheap imitation UK sound. Those artists would've loved the chance to have the Funks on their records. You have them and you replace them with someone else? Stupid.

there are big highs and big lows here. There's a considerable amount of 3-part harmony and that's always a welcomed thing with the girls.

i'm not as concerned with the musicians but more about the approach. When the girls later did R&H, there was clear love and appreciate for the music. Some of the tunes were done in a traditional style while others were given a Motown treatment. but you could still feel that everyone involved respected and cared about the tunes.

with Liverpool it was such as rushed job. Many of the British groups adored American r&b and when they covered our music, they treated it with the dignity it deserved. That's what's lacking here. a dignified approach.

I would deffinately cut "Bits and Pieces" and "How Do You Do It" and the two Motown covers...would have loved to hear them do "Dont Let The Sun Catch You Crying" and "Little Children" also "Have I The Right" by The Honeycombs [[not a Liverpool band but neither were The Animals or The Dave Clark Five)...the two unreleased tracks should have stayed just that..They have got to be the worst recordings the girls ever put vocals to.

I don't LOVE the album but it has its moments. My particular faves are THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN, BECAUSE, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, DO YOU LOVE ME, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, and BITS AND PIECES. I like that each girl can be heard well and even though its a rush job, I think they did a great job [[aside from the flubbed ending to I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND).

As for what I would change, there is very little. It sort of is what it is. The instrumentation doesn't bother me. They were trying to emulate the Liverpool sound so having the Funks do it wouldn't work. I would probably swap I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND with NOT FADE AWAY. I think that song would have been a nice finale.

It is a very good LP if you are a fan of the Harmonies....How Do You Do It? is cringe worthy….Minnie Mouse! my 2 other least favs are Cant Buy Me Love [[just don't like the song) and I Want To Hold Your Hand... I think its the pronunciation and singing of the word HAND that kills it for me. It is one of my fav Beatle songs
    The rest of the LP is all highlights for me...esp. You Can't Do That, World Without Love...I like Bits and Pieces...it just stomps along nicely...I also like Hang On Sloopy from A' Go-Go and that one gets a lot of flack too

I've never been a big fan of the British Invasion, and recording it in LA didn't do the album, like WRSC, should have been recorded in Detroit, if not by HDH, maybe C. Paul.

I actually like this album. I think Florence sounds really good on most of the songs. The group sound is nice too. One of the few album where I feel that the girls were working together as a group. I would get rid of You've really got a hold on me. Just don't like the song, the house of the rising sun and how do you do it too. I'd add the unreleased, I saw him standing there. They should have omitted the Motown covers. Always thought that was a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there are big highs and big lows here. There's a considerable amount of 3-part harmony and that's always a welcomed thing with the girls.

i'm not as concerned with the musicians but more about the approach. When the girls later did R&H, there was clear love and appreciate for the music. Some of the tunes were done in a traditional style while others were given a Motown treatment. but you could still feel that everyone involved respected and cared about the tunes.

with Liverpool it was such as rushed job. Many of the British groups adored American r&b and when they covered our music, they treated it with the dignity it deserved. That's what's lacking here. a dignified approach.
    But when the British acts covered r&b they did so in their own style. Sure, there was obvious respect for the artform, but they also made it their own. So I think it was dumb for Motown to not have the Supremes do the same thing. They could have approached those songs with a real Motown treatment. Respect the new sound, but stay true to you instead of attempting to imitate folks who were, in part, attempting to imitate you. Nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I would deffinately cut "Bits and Pieces" and "How Do You Do It" and the two Motown covers...would have loved to hear them do "Dont Let The Sun Catch You Crying" and "Little Children" also "Have I The Right" by The Honeycombs [[not a Liverpool band but neither were The Animals or The Dave Clark Five)...the two unreleased tracks should have stayed just that..They have got to be the worst recordings the girls ever put vocals to.
    I would cut "How Do You Do It", "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Really Got A Hold On Me" and "Do You Love Me". I would replace two of them with the two tracks you think are the worst. I love both "I Saw Him Standing There" and "Not Fade Away". I might have the girls do "Wishin And Hopin", and maybe Chad and Jeremy's "A Summer Song".

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't LOVE the album but it has its moments. My particular faves are THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN, BECAUSE, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, DO YOU LOVE ME, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, and BITS AND PIECES. I like that each girl can be heard well and even though its a rush job, I think they did a great job [[aside from the flubbed ending to I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND).

As for what I would change, there is very little. It sort of is what it is. The instrumentation doesn't bother me. They were trying to emulate the Liverpool sound so having the Funks do it wouldn't work. I would probably swap I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND with NOT FADE AWAY. I think that song would have been a nice finale.
    I also love "Rising Sun" and "Because". "Hard Days" is also very nice. Diana's vocal on "You Can't Do That" is a particular favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    It is a very good LP if you are a fan of the Harmonies....How Do You Do It? is cringe worthy….Minnie Mouse! my 2 other least favs are Cant Buy Me Love [[just don't like the song) and I Want To Hold Your Hand... I think its the pronunciation and singing of the word HAND that kills it for me. It is one of my fav Beatle songs
    The rest of the LP is all highlights for me...esp. You Can't Do That, World Without Love...I like Bits and Pieces...it just stomps along nicely...I also like Hang On Sloopy from A' Go-Go and that one gets a lot of flack too
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of "Sloopy", although the version on the expanded edition breathed some new life into it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I've never been a big fan of the British Invasion, and recording it in LA didn't do the album, like WRSC, should have been recorded in Detroit, if not by HDH, maybe C. Paul.
    Both of whom were more likely to use the Funks than the LA musicians. I think the album would be considered a classic today if it weren't for that one fact.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I actually like this album. I think Florence sounds really good on most of the songs. The group sound is nice too. One of the few album where I feel that the girls were working together as a group. I would get rid of You've really got a hold on me. Just don't like the song, the house of the rising sun and how do you do it too. I'd add the unreleased, I saw him standing there. They should have omitted the Motown covers. Always thought that was a bit odd.
    I thought it rather odd also. I suspect that the inclusion of two Jobete songs meant more money for Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I thought it rather odd also. I suspect that the inclusion of two Jobete songs meant more money for Motown.
    In addition to the publishing money, including those songs was probably seen as attractive to those who didn't know the songs originated with Motown.

The Beatles had recently recorded YOU'VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME and DO YOU LOVE ME had been recorded by a few British groups, one of whom [[I think the Tremoles [[sp)) had a big hit with it. Some fans might buy the album just because of those two tracks.

But when the British acts covered r&b they did so in their own style. Sure, there was obvious respect for the artform, but they also made it their own. So I think it was dumb for Motown to not have the Supremes do the same thing. They could have approached those songs with a real Motown treatment. Respect the new sound, but stay true to you instead of attempting to imitate folks who were, in part, attempting to imitate you. Nuts.
    i completely agree. just like they did with the R&H sessions and even Funny Girl to a degree. Some of the songs could have been traditionally arranged. but then give a hard Motown driving beat to a few others. great way to reimagine the content

Yeah, I'm not a fan of "Sloopy", although the version on the expanded edition breathed some new life into it for me.
    IMO the problem with Sloopy is the completely passionless and prim background vocals by M and F. To quote George Harrison "how could black girls from detroit be so square" lol Sloopy is meant to be a party song and you have some of the most bland vocalization by Flo and Mary. Imagine if during the bridge you had the girls actually start to break out a big, ad lib. and during the ending let the girls really go! then it would have worked.

it's as if they found Mrs Phyllis Weizmann and Mrs Harriett Ellis from the suburbs and had them come to the Motown studios to do guest vocals.

I was thinking about Wishin and Hopin too and I think they would have sounded great as a group. But realized the song was written by Burt Bacharach but a bit hit for Dusty then to realize she's from London ������. The album could have been a very good concept album if they just took a bit more time to choose the right song.

IMO the problem with Sloopy is the completely passionless and prim background vocals by M and F. To quote George Harrison "how could black girls from detroit be so square" lol Sloopy is meant to be a party song and you have some of the most bland vocalization by Flo and Mary. Imagine if during the bridge you had the girls actually start to break out a big, ad lib. and during the ending let the girls really go! then it would have worked.

it's as if they found Mrs Phyllis Weizmann and Mrs Harriett Ellis from the suburbs and had them come to the Motown studios to do guest vocals.
    LOL Yeah, that's one problem with it. The A Go-Go sessions are so spotty for Flo and Mary. On some they seem to be firing on all cylinders, such as "Satisfaction", "Mother Dear 66", "This Old Heart Of Mine", and then phoning it in on cuts like "Sloopy", "Blowin In the Wind", and "Money". Even "Can I Get A Witness" they come across a bit "slowly", which is interesting considering how they ripped into the background behind Marvin, although there is something to be said about the sound the group achieved with the three of them singing together vs only two.

The album could have been a very good concept album if they just took a bit more time to choose the right song.
    That's how I feel about the proposed "A Tribute To the Girls" album. It was pretty much going to be MOR and showtunes popularized by female singers, but I think it would've been a far more interesting concept if the album was comprised of songs popularized by the then current female acts. I would have had them covering stuff like "Chapel Of Love", "Be My Baby", "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow".

I hardly like any of them songs released from that project. I didn't even get that There's a place for us CD from a few years ago. I like the idea too of girl hits of that time. Martha did "Then he kissed me" and it sounds terrible. The lead and background.....don't even know what to say. Am I allowed to say it's a Travesty.

Maybe it would have been better if they called the bit of Liverpool lp, a bit of UK or something than they weren't so restricted to just songs from groups from Liverpool

That's how I feel about the proposed "A Tribute To the Girls" album. It was pretty much going to be MOR and showtunes popularized by female singers, but I think it would've been a far more interesting concept if the album was comprised of songs popularized by the then current female acts. I would have had them covering stuff like "Chapel Of Love", "Be My Baby", "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow".
    yeah there's not much info on There's a Place For Us. My guess is they would have probably stuck with the more "adult" appreciated content like the Andrews Sisters and the McGuire sisters. older classics as the goal wasn't to associate the Supremes with the "girl group phenomenon" but to link them to the more MOR genre. Maybe some Connie Francis and other famous and popular solo female artists like Debbie Reynolds.

there's a bunch of tracks that were prepared for another potential Sup project. This was the "supremes around the world" idea and the tracks were:

La Bamba
    Never on sunday
    Jamaica farewell
    C'est si bon
    hava nagila
    danke schoen
    danny boy
    hawaiian wedding song
    tie me kangaroo down sport

I'm starting to appreciate this album as time goes on. I always thought the girls sound great, but the productions and even song selection doesn't really do it for me. I know it's not typically a fan favorite, but does anyone LOVE the album as is? For those who don't, what changes would you make? Any songs from British acts you would have loved for the girls to have covered at that point?

The biggest change I would make is replacing the LA musicians with the Funks. Why Motown wouldn't showcase the Funk Brothers on this, rather than the cheap imitation UK sound. Those artists would've loved the chance to have the Funks on their records. You have them and you replace them with someone else? Stupid.
    i bought the album new in ‘64 and loved most of it - not a hard days night - my fave Beatles song. Too many liberties with cadence annoyed me to pieces. I love ross on you can’t do that, house of the rising sun and bits and pieces. The great thing about this album, is that not long after where did our love go came out, they put out another album… And this was very very very unheard of. And for somebody who swooned every time they heard baby live, it helps cement the idea that maybe This group would be around a little longer than most… That had maybe a 1, or 2 year shelf life.

so, after playing where did our love go incessantly, all the sudden there’s a new supreme’s album to listen to and it was wonderful, even though it was far from ideal. There was enough there to love and it was popular - some people bought it instead of the word did our love go album because they already have the singles. I remember watching them on LLOYD Baxton and I just love them so much…… Especially Diana Who was trying so hard to put the group over, when I look back, I can see she was flying by the seat of her pants, And doing a pretty damn good job.

Today, I would make a bunch of changes. 56 years ago, it was a treat.

I was thinking about Wishin and Hopin too and I think they would have sounded great as a group. But realized the song was written by Burt Bacharach but a bit hit for Dusty then to realize she's from London ������. The album could have been a very good concept album if they just took a bit more time to choose the right song.
    "Wishin' and Hopin' " was a UK hit for Liverpool band The Merseybeats. A perfect fit for A Bit of Liverpool and perhaps a perfect fit for The Supremes harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    "Wishin' and Hopin' " was a UK hit for Liverpool band The Merseybeats. A perfect fit for A Bit of Liverpool and perhaps a perfect fit for The Supremes harmonies.
    I can totally hear the Supremes singing this! The harmonies and any or all three on the leads.

Motown was still a small company, beginning to "burst" with success....the inclusion of 2 Motown copyright songs helped the bankroll....A Bit Of Liverpool was released in Oct. '64. It was the most recent group LP available for the busy holiday season and peaked at #21 on Billboard....it sold a respectable amount of copies.

Wishin' and Hopin' " was a UK hit for Liverpool band The Merseybeats
    Correct me if i am wrong but was it not a big Dusty Springfield hit?

The Merseybeats' version hit number 13 here in the UK. Dusty's version didn't hit the charts here in the UK but it was number 6 in the States and number 2 in Canada and Australia.

The obvious flaw in "Wishin' and Hopin' " is that it hit a bit late in the day to be recorded and included on ABOL. Similarly with any chance of Herman's Hermits covers.

Liverpool definitely sold well. It reached 21 on the US pop charts and, more importantly, was on the charts for a LONG time, 21 weeks. That's one of the longest runs for one of their concept albums.

there's a bunch of tracks that were prepared for another potential Sup project. This was the "supremes around the world" idea and the tracks were:

La Bamba
    Never on sunday
    Jamaica farewell
    C'est si bon
    hava nagila
    danke schoen
    danny boy
    hawaiian wedding song
    tie me kangaroo down sport
    Yeah, but I think this might have been too much and over the top. "Hava Nagila"? Although I would love to hear them do "La Bamba" and "Danny Boy". Martha and the Vandellas have a great version of "Danke Schoen" so I would also have loved to hear what the Supremes might have done with it. No doubt, had it been completed [[or even started, my understanding is that none of these songs ended up with Supremes vocals, although there's always the chance that a vocal version is discovered...we seem to get these new discoveries right around the time fans start talk of there being nothing left in the vaults. Lol) this album would've probably been another harmony highlight for them.

They should have omitted the Motown covers. Always thought that was a bit odd.
    No, not odd at all.

The Beatles covered three Motown songs, "Money", "Please Mr. Postman" and "You've Really Got A Hold On Me", on "The Beatles Second Album" which had a US release April 10, 1964. [[Those same three songs were on the UK release "With The Beatles" released 22 November 1963.)

The Dave Clark Five covered "Do You Love Me" in May 1964.

To many of us, at the time, those songs were considered Beatles and UK songs. Although, thanks to DJs on teenage radio stations, we soon learned they were American Oldies. As time progressed we later learned they were Motown songs.

So including the two Jobete songs, Hold On Me and Do You Love Me, on the Liverpool album was beneficial to Motown even if the record-buying public was unaware of the songs origins. I was surprised that Liverpool did not also include Money and Postman.

Check out Berry Gordy's autobiography "To Be Loved", pp 203-205, for an interesting story about The Beatles and the three Motown/Jobete songs they recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    ...would have loved to hear them do "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" and "Little Children" also "Have I The Right" by The Honeycombs [[not a Liverpool band but neither were The Animals or The Dave Clark Five)...
    I like your selections.

Other Beatles songs I would have preferred would have been "All My Loving", "If I Fell", "And I Love Her", "P.S. I Love You" and "Love Me Do".

I like the same six songs now that I liked when I first got the Liverpool album in early 1966: "You Can't Do That", "Because", "World Without Love", "Rising Sun", "Do You Love Me", and "Hold On Me". The other songs are not great.

"How Do You Do" is just awful. I always wondered if the song was intentionally recorded like that or if there was a technical glitch with the tape when the record was pressed. It sounds like The Chipmunks. The Chipmunks' Beatles Tribute album charted higher and longer than Liverpool, so maybe BG thought having a Chipmunks sound would add to the appeal of the album!!!

I agree that having the Funk Brothers back The Supremes on Liverpool would have been beneficial, particularly on The Beatles songs of "Hand", "Hard Days Night" and "Can't Buy Me Love". They sound like they are yelling instead of singing. Maybe the Funks would have guided them into a softer approach. I am okay with 6 of the 11 songs as recorded by the LA musicians. Do we know if they are the Wrecking Crew or just random studio musicians?

I think what might have improved the album is to include the British bands original material on Side 1 - either as recorded for the Liverpool LP or with The Funk Brothers. The Motown and Soul influenced tracks [[recorded with The Funk Bros in Detroit) could be used for Side 2.

The Beatles recorded Money, Postman, Hold On Me and non-Motown R&B Isley Bros song Twist & Shout. And of course DC5 did Do You Love Me. The Stones as well as Dusty recorded Can I Get A Witness in 1964. All good songs for a soulful Motown-style Side 2 for Liverpool.

Liverpool Side 1: You Can't Do That, World Without Love, House Of The Rising Sun, Because, Can't Buy Me Love, Hard Day's Night
    Liverpool Side 2: You've Really Got A Hold On Me, Do You Love Me, Money, Please Mr Postman, Can I Get A Witness, Twist & Shout

How Do You Do is definitely one of the weakest tracks on this album. if you listen to the version by Gerry and the Pacemakers, the lead singer does have a bit of a nasal tone to his voice. so i guess the girls were trying to replicate a nasal british accent?? lol

my guess is they're trying to be cute and playful. lol

Makes sense. I've never really though about that. A friend mine who's from the 50's always thought Please Mr Postman was a Beatles song. So guess most people wouldn't have been the wiser here if the added that song too.
    I would still change You've really got a hold on me. I can't stand the song. The other is How do you do it. It's not good and especially for an opening song. What song would you guys have as the opening song if you could change it. I think Hard Day's Night would be my choice because of the opening chord.

Their "You Can't Do That" and "Because" are really good - I'd buy the album just for those.

Liverpool was also the newest LP available by the group for the all important sales wise holiday season....it sold relatively well. Motown was still a small company dealing with sudden big time success in the fall of '64 when Liverpool was released...having 2 in house copyrights on the LP most likely was a financial convenience owing to the Brits well known covers...when I became a fan in '68, none of my local shops or department stores stocked Meet, CW&P, Liverpool or Sam Cooke...the other earlier big selling LP's were everywhere [[WDOLG?, Copa, Symphony, A Go Go and of course, the 2 LP hits set) ...More Hits and HDH I saw, but less often locally....Rogers and Hart was all over too...but that was a fairly recent LP....by the time I became a fan there were already 3 1968 LPS available, and 3 more in rapid succession Love Child TCB and Join...that could be why the specialty slower sellers weren't kept in stock.

I never liked How Do You Do It. The Supremes' version was just odd! I have a short playlist for Bit of Liverpool, sort of a mini-album or EP version:
    Side A:
    1. You Can't Do That [[My favorite track by far)
    2. World Without Love
    3. Because

Side B:
    4. You've Really Got a Hold On Me
    5. House of the Rising Sun
    6. Bits & Pieces

I think the Motown covers are very appropriate, since they were actually covers of British covers of original Motown songs. Perhaps album liner notes should have educated record-buyers about that. Instead of Do You Love Me, I would have preferred
    Money [[That's What I Want) and Please! Mr. Postman.

Bits & Pieces is fun and the intro reminds me of Where Did Our Love Go [[a neat tie to that song and album, still on the charts at the time).

I would have liked Supremes versions of Wishin & Hopin' or Do Wah Diddy, though both of these are actually American girl-group originals [[not British).

Liverpool definitely sold well. It reached 21 on the US pop charts and, more importantly, was on the charts for a LONG time, 21 weeks. That's one of the longest runs for one of their concept albums.
    I think it’s listed at sales of 800,000 copies

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Their "You Can't Do That" and "Because" are really good - I'd buy the album just for those.
    Agreed.....

Yeah, but I think this might have been too much and over the top. "Hava Nagila"? Although I would love to hear them do "La Bamba" and "Danny Boy". Martha and the Vandellas have a great version of "Danke Schoen" so I would also have loved to hear what the Supremes might have done with it. No doubt, had it been completed [[or even started, my understanding is that none of these songs ended up with Supremes vocals, although there's always the chance that a vocal version is discovered...we seem to get these new discoveries right around the time fans start talk of there being nothing left in the vaults. Lol) this album would've probably been another harmony highlight for them.
    Love Martha's Danke Scheon…[[supposedly, Connie Francis passed on a Eng vers. and had reasonable sized hits with Italian, Spanish and Japanese versions) I like the Heat Wave LP....very similar to Liverpool, it was a rush job....but I love MR&TV Hello Stranger more than the original...I only have Compact Command Performances and 2 for 1 this LP and Dance Party CDs...I have Anthology 2 LP vinyl ...I did have the Heat Wave LP and the abridged Dance Party Pickwick LP...Dancin' Slow is one of my fav tracks...I also had the live Stereo LP...didn't care for that and traded it in shortly afterwards

I just love the Supremes version of "A World Without Love," even better than the original version by Peter and Gordon of the same year. And interestingly, Peter [[Asher) would work with Ross decades later, on the 1991 Force Behind the Power album, and, more interestingly here, on the I Love You album, including "I Will," another song written by Paul McCartney.

Almost all of Connie Francis' concept LPs preceded those by the Supremes, and it seems that Berry Gordy was paying a lot of attention to Connie's forays into "Jewish Favorites," "Irish Favorites," "Italian Hits," and others that she released as early as 1960. Connie's "Jewish" album is really pretty great, and I think she wrings every emotion from songs like the Judy Garland-like "My Yiddishe Mama." And "Hava Nagila" is on it as well!

I've come to really appreciate the "Liverpool" album even though I agree it does have some low points and sounds like it was recorded very quickly. But I think Diane excels on "Rising Sun," "World Without Love," and "You've Really Got a Hold On Me," and it's great to hear Mary and Flo so prominent in the backgrounds.

There are [[at least) two major problems with this album. One is the overall muddy quality of the production, as all the sounds, vocal and instrumental, seem merged into an indistinct blob, with no sharp punctuation. The other is the insistence that almost every song had to have all three vocalists singing, generally in unison. Since the group was known, principally, for Diana's distinctive voice, it would have made sense to follow that formula on this record. As a case in point, Diana's solo vocal on the first verse and a bit of the last verse of The House Of The Rising Sun seemed promising; in the last verse of that song, in particular, she was able to cut loose, a bit, to demonstrate her interpretive skills, but with all three singing the middle portion together, the narrative lost its punch, and it didn't have to be that way; The Animals' version, which supposedly was being replicated, did not have the whole group singing throughout. I did appreciate Mary's duet with Diana on Because, and I believe that if the harmonies had been limited, the concept could have worked. Also, I was not enamored of the group's efforts on I Want To Hold Your Hand and Can't Buy Me Love. Too, it seemed that Florence sounded less than disciplined [[and dare I say, "drunk") on several of the songs, especially the two outtakes. The arrangements seemed unplanned, and the overall effort seemed unfocused and rushed. The cover photo was superb, but the album, especially over time, sounds disappointing, particularly given the potential that the concept seemed to promise and given the general excellence that H-D-H created elsewhere that year, as illustrated in most of the Where Did Our Love Go album's glossy, polished-to-perfection production values.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    There are [[at least) two major problems with this album. One is the overall muddy quality of the production, as all the sounds, vocal and instrumental, seem merged into an indistinct blob, with no sharp punctuation. The other is the insistence that almost every song had to have all three vocalists singing, generally in unison. Since the group was known, principally, for Diana's distinctive voice, it would have made sense to follow that formula on this record. As a case in point, Diana's solo vocal on the first verse and a bit of the last verse of The House Of The Rising Sun seemed promising; in the last verse of that song, in particular, she was able to cut loose, a bit, to demonstrate her interpretive skills, but with all three singing the middle portion together, the narrative lost its punch, and it didn't have to be that way; The Animals' version, which supposedly was being replicated, did not have the whole group singing throughout. I did appreciate Mary's duet with Diana on Because, and I believe that if the harmonies had been limited, the concept could have worked. Also, I was not enamored of the group's efforts on I Want To Hold Your Hand and Can't Buy Me Love. Too, it seemed that Florence sounded less than disciplined [[and dare I say, "drunk") on several of the songs, especially the two outtakes. The arrangements seemed unplanned, and the overall effort seemed unfocused and rushed. The cover photo was superb, but the album, especially over time, sounds disappointing, particularly given the potential that the concept seemed to promise and given the general excellence that H-D-H created elsewhere that year, as illustrated in most of the Where Did Our Love Go album's glossy, polished-to-perfection production values.
    Not one of my favourite Supremes albums. I find the vocals a little to raw sounding and as you point out the production is less then good. A rather rushed job.
    Totally disagree about Flo. She most certainly does not sound drunk to my ears. Many of the songs lend themselves to her vocal style, so if anything would have liked to have heard her featured a little more prominently.

i think Liverpool's problem is that 1) they used LA musicians so it lacks the soul of the funk bros and 2) it seems rushed and every song comes across as a 1 take track. they just stood by a mic and hit record. did 1 take of each song, waxed it and that was it.

agree that some of the singing is sloppy. some of the unison work isn't as sharp or aligned as it should be. and a little goes a long way of that. same with 3 part harmony. use it as an effect but not on every tune. it gets monotonous. also it requires strict attention to accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Totally disagree about Flo. She most certainly does not sound drunk to my ears. Many of the songs lend themselves to her vocal style, so if anything would have liked to have heard her featured a little more prominently.
    Absolutely agree. And to add, "Because" isn't a duet between Diana and Mary, it is a group harmony throughout.

I wish they would have recorded EIGHT DAYS A WEEK, similar to SHINDIG where each Supreme got a line to sing. Cute!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wish they would have recorded EIGHT DAYS A WEEK, similar to SHINDIG where each Supreme got a line to sing. Cute!
    That live performance is indeed wonderful and would have been a great fit. Interestingly, the Beatles recorded "Eight Days A Week" in the same week as A Bit of Liverpool was released [[16 October 1964).