[REMOVE ADS]

Double Platinum added to Netflix

Very popular with the younger generation, Double Platinum has been added on Netflix. No doubt because of Diana’s co-star Brandy, this movie introduced Diana to a whole new generation.

Hopefully they'll stream Every Day is a New Day. That film had me buying it lol

Definitely not one of her strongest movies

^ It wasn't. I think it had me interested in their albums. I think I bought Brandy's album after EDIAND. It was so weird though, it seemed to work wonders for Brandy especially concerning Have You Ever but Diana's album sales didn't quite gel. Also, Motown was foul for taking the Brandy version off of EDIAND. If they had left it alone, maybe album sales would've been much better. They really screwed up. All those songs that could've made adult R&B stations on radio. Until We Meet Again and Not Over You Yet could've been #1 dance hits. Seemed easy to do. Also, who was her manager at the time?! So many questions. Great album but horrible promotion. 1999 was the beginning of a very bad era in Diana's life and career too. :/

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ It wasn't. I think it had me interested in their albums. I think I bought Brandy's album after EDIAND. It was so weird though, it seemed to work wonders for Brandy especially concerning Have You Ever but Diana's album sales didn't quite gel. Also, Motown was foul for taking the Brandy version off of EDIAND. If they had left it alone, maybe album sales would've been much better. They really screwed up. All those songs that could've made adult R&B stations on radio. Until We Meet Again and Not Over You Yet could've been #1 dance hits. Seemed easy to do. Also, who was her manager at the time?! So many questions. Great album but horrible promotion. 1999 was the beginning of a very bad era in Diana's life and career too. :/
    A very sad and difficult time for Diana but she sure emerged triumphant and happier and healthier and with a real zest for life and Performing with her charisma and glowing takent on full display.

I always find it interesting in looking at how Diana fares in the USA verses the UK. Here she scored a massive hit with Not Over You Yet which appealed to the younger generation. She also had a very successful television mini-concert programme in 1999 with some major celebrities in the audience, called An Audience With Diana Ross. Diana was spot on form for that programme. Here is a YouTube link below.

It does seem to me that there is more enduring and consistent appreciation for Diana in the UK over many years to the up and down nature in the USA.

https://youtu.be/FqpEqO0tNEc

Album wise EDIAND would have charted much higher in the UK had its release date tied in with the USA. I owned it way before it came out here.
    I agree with rovereab in that Diana was still incredibly popular on these shores during that period. With tv promotion she could have had at least three more hits from that brilliant album. I so wish “Have You Ever” had been one of Diana’s songs
    I don't really like the film at all. Brandy sulks and pouts throughout and Diana is angst- ridden most of the time.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-12-2020 at 07:16 AM.

It is not one of my favorite albums but there are some great songs on EDIAND, particularly those performed in the film.

I had hoped the appearance on Oprah and the movie might spur sales in the US but it didn't. Besides Oprah, The View, a few short ET spots, and the movie itself, I don't recall much promo by Diana for the project. Of course, we now know she was going through a bad time so it makes sense.

I have no idea whether or not this is true but I've heard multiple times that the Brandy duet was pulled because of issues with Brandy's management.

EDIAND was also the first Diana album released without a single. I recall this approach being taken a lot starting around that time, making people buy the whole album. Gladys and Smokey also released albums that year without a single. All that was released was a 12-inch of UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN in a generic white sleeve. The initial pressing had a sticker on it with the wrong song listed. This was corrected later. I think it hit #2 on the dance chart. I do have a couple of cds that were released to radio only for SUGARFREE and the title track, I believe.

Re Diana's management, I think she has done that for herself since leaving Motown in 1981.
    Last edited by reese; 07-12-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Very popular with the younger generation, Double Platinum has been added on Netflix. No doubt because of Diana’s co-star Brandy, this movie introduced Diana to a whole new generation.
    Another awful movie that made no sense. It was even promoted on Oprah's show and the Diana Ross CD music was promoted within the movie. Both bombed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Album wise EDIAND would have charted much higher in the UK had its release date tied in with the USA. I owned it way before it came out here.
    I agree with rovereab in that Diana was still incredibly popular on these shores during that period. With tv promotion she could have had at least three more hits from that brilliant album. I so wish “Have You Ever” had been one of Diana’s songs
    I don't really like the film at all. Brandy sulks and pouts throughout and Diana is angst- ridden most of the time.
    It did not chart at all in America. I also did not get ANY radio airplay in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It did not chart at all in America. I also did not get ANY radio airplay in NYC.
    Sadly, Diana continued to make very poor career choices. Did she not want to pay management fees or did she believe she could successfully handle everything herself. I think she was penny pinching.

Double Platinum was a decent entertainment movie much like Mahogany. It certainly didn't stretch her acting like Lady Sings The Blues or Out Of Darkness did but it was enjoyable, entertaining fare. I found her CD EDIAND one of her better efforts and it should have charted better, but the focus on the music part of the movie seemed to be Brandy. It think the CD still holds up nicely and is a very decent and enjoyable, entertaining film.

The movie was fun to watch. And a lot of younger people do like the movie. Diana Ross looked beautiful throughout the movie. And the music was really good.

DP is sitting in my Netflix "Continue Watching" queue right now. I wanted to see some Diana last weekend and started watching it, even though I could have just as easily pulled out the dvd. But I wanted to see some Diana and wasn't in the mood for LADY or OUT OF DARKNESS.

Yeah DP had their leading stars overdoing the drama lol

Also, Motown was foul for taking the Brandy version off of EDIAND. If they had left it alone, maybe album sales would've been much better. They really screwed up.:/
    I don't believe that Motown had an option on taking the Brandy/Diana duet off of Every Day Is A New Day. I believe it was Brandy's record company that refused to let the song be placed on Diana's album. It was probably because Brandy's record company wouldn't make much money off it as she did not have new product to release in conjunction with it. She may have gotten part of the single & album track sales but it wouldn't have amounted to much [[in record company terms).

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I don't believe that Motown had an option on taking the Brandy/Diana duet off of Every Day Is A New Day. I believe it was Brandy's record company that refused to let the song be placed on Diana's album. It was probably because Brandy's record company wouldn't make much money off it as she did not have new product to release in conjunction with it. She may have gotten part of the single & album track sales but it wouldn't have amounted to much [[in record company terms).
    I see... I wonder if Double Platinum had came out in 1998 instead of 1999 and the song was on, say, Brandy's new album, I can imagine they would've probably released it and Diana would have had a big hit 15 years after "Missing You". You're right: Atlantic DID take the Brandy duet off from being released.

Anyway, I still liked Diana's solo version. I could've seen it being an AC hit. So many missed opportunities with this record!

Ironically enough this song seems fitting for today's times.

I didn't care for the movie at the time. I didn't even sit through the entire thing and still haven't, as far as I remember. I might have been more interested if Diana had been paired with a better actress. I never thought Brandy was a good actress. Everybody I knew thought she stunk [[as an actress). We all watched Moesha for Countess Vaughn, Lamont Bentley and Shar Jackson. They didn't even need "Moesha".

Didn't Diana pick her?

I'm guessing she saw the good press Whitney got for putting her in "Cinderella" so she thought of doing the same? IDK...

Yeah DP had their leading stars overdoing the drama lol
    Never a truer word midnight lol. That milkshake ending was something else.
    The dvd should carry a health warning for those who might be adversely effected when exposed to vast quantities of saccharine.

I see... I wonder if Double Platinum had came out in 1998 instead of 1999 and the song was on, say, Brandy's new album, I can imagine they would've probably released it and Diana would have had a big hit 15 years after "Missing You". You're right: Atlantic DID take the Brandy duet off from being released.

Anyway, I still liked Diana's solo version. I could've seen it being an AC hit. So many missed opportunities with this record!

Ironically enough this song seems fitting for today's times.
    its a lousy boring song. Period. It has no punch, no there-there, no wow factor. It is so far from the greatness of her Motown years that if Ross had recorded this dribble in 1964, she would now be working at Wendy’s.

Didn't Diana pick her?

I'm guessing she saw the good press Whitney got for putting her in "Cinderella" so she thought of doing the same? IDK...
    I don't know. I think on paper it was a good idea, but execution wise, the movie didn't really have a chance because Brandy sucked. I would've rather have seen the film that Diana was supposed to do with Blair Underwood, about a May/December romance. I think that would've very good.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't know. I think on paper it was a good idea, but execution wise, the movie didn't really have a chance because Brandy sucked. I would've rather have seen the film that Diana was supposed to do with Blair Underwood, about a May/December romance. I think that would've very good.
    I heard about that project. Guess it never got off the stomping grounds... shame.

Never a truer word midnight lol. That milkshake ending was something else.
    The dvd should carry a health warning for those who might be adversely effected when exposed to vast quantities of saccharine.
    LMAO yeah the film was pretty doggone corny and not the good corny haha

But it was the only way I knew about a NEW Diana Ross album. I think she performed every track on it except for the neo-soul influenced numbers on it [[Got to Be Free, the original version of Not Over You Yet, So They Say, Every Day is a New Day and Sugarfree).

I don't know how long it was after that that I bought it [[along with, I believe, Marvin's What's Going On album) but I forget when I bought it. Either 1999 or 2000...

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I didn't care for the movie at the time. I didn't even sit through the entire thing and still haven't, as far as I remember. I might have been more interested if Diana had been paired with a better actress. I never thought Brandy was a good actress. Everybody I knew thought she stunk [[as an actress). We all watched Moesha for Countess Vaughn, Lamont Bentley and Shar Jackson. They didn't even need "Moesha".
    To this day, because of Double Platinum and her delivery of lines in it, my partner and I refer to Brandy as Clint Eastwood.

Brandy was the “It” girl during this period.