[REMOVE ADS]

The Marvelettes – You Can Bet Your Bottom Dollar

This one slipped by me:

Wow! I have this box set and it slipped by me too. Generally I go for the stuff from '64 and after but this does sound really good. Gladys had such an instinct for delivery and Kat, Wanda and Georgeanna had a way of really filling out the backgrounds, kind of a vocal wall of sound.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Wow! I have this box set and it slipped by me too. Generally I go for the stuff from '64 and after but this does sound really good. Gladys had such an instinct for delivery and Kat, Wanda and Georgeanna had a way of really filling out the backgrounds, kind of a vocal wall of sound.
    They show that they had a lot more talented than they are ever given credit for. They also were powerful singers. I wished they could have benefitted more from Motown's Artist Development and support from the company

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They show that they had a lot more talented than they are ever given credit for. They also were powerful singers. I wished they could have benefitted more from Motown's Artist Development and support from the company
    I agree. The group was actually much more versatile than most realized. They could equally pull off a pop persona like the Sups but with much more grit and soul like Martha & The Vandellas. I recently came across an old music review from '68 and it was an appearance at the Apollo. The reviewer sorta lamented that the Marvelettes came off a bit too polished. He would rather that they would have moved a bit more. In fact, he remarked that a lot of the Motown artists seemed to not move very much. That was a surprise to read. So maybe Artist Development rounded off the ladies' edges a bit too much for some people's tastes.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 07-10-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Those "vault gems" from The Marvelettes' Forever More set are fantastic! "You Can Bet Your Bottom Dollar", "There Is No Tomorrow [[Only Tears And Sorrow)" & "Just One More Kiss" are my favorites.

That's a ska rhythm under the horns and vocal chorus!...Wow, I'm a big fan of The Marvelettes but I never heard this before. I wonder if somebody was reacting to Millie
    Small's big hit with My Boy Lollipop...hmmm....

This is such a great track. I agree that the youthful exuberance of the group, both musically and in performance, was somewhat spoiled by artist development. Of course, Mrs. Powell’s job was indispensable in coaching them in public deportment and the social graces, but it should have stopped there. Those rough-edged, sometimes discordant, harmonies which were so distinctive, ended around 1964 with Danger! Heartbreak Dead Ahead when the group was reduced to a trio and Andantes were brought in to fill out and sweeten the backgrounds. Naturally, as the members matured, I suppose they couldn’t be doing all that energetic dancing in performance, especially in floor-length gowns, but trying to cast them [[and the label’s other female groups) into The Supremes’ mold was rather misguided in my opinion. I understand that crossover was of paramount importance to Gordy, but many of his acts suffered as a result of this.
    Last edited by BigAl; 07-13-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks for sharing Marv! Such a great song. Wouldn't you just want to have the Marvelettes live next door. I love their early work. It sounded raw, unpolished [[in a good way) and just the girls.

"Bottom Dollar" is my favorite from Disc 4 of the unreleased tracks.

Another favorite is "So Glad It's Summertime":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmuWsVnnCCY

and "You Better Behave":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqDPkDH-xmE

So many of the unreleased tracks were worthy of a release on an album. Amazing that there were no albums from them in 1964, 1965 and 1966 other than the Greatest Hits. I was not a regular record buyer, particularly albums, until 1966 when I went Motown-crazy in my purchases.

The first Marvelettes song I remember hearing on the radio was "You're My Remedy" then "Don't Mess With Bill". My first album by them was the pink album and I thought all the tracks were Wanda, or maybe I just didn't pay close attention.

Although I eventually got all their releases on vinyl and CD, it was Disc 4 of the Forever More CD-set that really helped me identify more closely and fully appreciate Gladys Horton's voice. The very first note of "Three Months" the first song on Disc 4 hooked me immediately into this great collection of unreleased tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Marv! Such a great song. Wouldn't you just want to have the Marvelettes live next door. I love their early work. It sounded raw, unpolished [[in a good way) and just the girls.
    You are most welcome TYK1986!

What a great song and what a great stompin' rhythm track! I don't know why I tend to forget about the box sets...or maybe I think I have to listen to each disc or something. I've gotta revisit those "lost and found" tracks from the Marvelettes' box sets.

@Marv2, great pick!