[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - Reach Out Single

I was just listening [[via Spotify) to the TCMS 1971V11A and was listening to the Reach Out single. Is it me or is the single edit extremely choppy?

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    I was just listening [[via Spotify) to the TCMS 1971V11A and was listening to the Reach Out single. Is it me or is the single edit extremely choppy?
    It's not you. The single edit is very bad.

i don't know who was doing these edits at motown but REach Out is hardly alone, in terms of a poor edit from the lp version

Stoned Love
    River Deep

both of those sucked too. Touch also was a poor edit but it also had other problems

even floy joy. there's a sloppy cut after the first verse. we've since received the unedited version. they cut all of about 4 seconds so it's a little perplexing as to why even bother. especially when done poorly

Let Yourself Go was another one that wasn't a great edit

In most of these cases, it was the single edit that I heard first so I didn't know that there longer versions until I bought the albums. I didn't find the edits for STONED LOVE and RIVER DEEP... so bad except that they added some extra parts that weren't in the original versions.

Another bad single edit was ALL I NEED IS TIME by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Some songs need to be listened to at full-length even if they are over four minutes. NEITHER ONE OF US is such a song and they didn't edit that one. They should have left ALL I NEED IS TIME alone as well.

what songs had a totally different version for the single? not just an alt mix but a different vocal take?

i know that the B side to Ladder was a completely different lead vocal from Jean.

any others?

oh here's another one!

One Love In my Lifetime - didn't they re-edit the song and add in more instrumental breaks? or at least focus more on the instrumental rather than her vocals, making it much less radio-friendly

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    what songs had a totally different version for the single? not just an alt mix but a different vocal take?

i know that the B side to Ladder was a completely different lead vocal from Jean.

any others?
    After the instrumental break, the mono single version of Diana's AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH has different vocals from the album version. On the single she says "One more time!" which she doesn't sing on the album version.

Later Motown did a stereo edit of the album version that first appeared [[I believe) on the 1983 DIANA ROSS' ANTHOLOGY.
    Last edited by reese; 07-10-2020 at 12:26 PM.

oh here's another one!

One Love In my Lifetime - didn't they re-edit the song and add in more instrumental breaks? or at least focus more on the instrumental rather than her vocals, making it much less radio-friendly
    Something strange happened with that one as well. I am not familiar with the single version.

But the version on the album DIANA ROSS edits out some of the instrumental breaks, whereas the version on GREATEST HITS [[1976) has the breaks.

Also, on the DIANA ROSS album version, Diana also sings a "Wo-oh" after the second verse that isn't included on the GREATEST HITS [[1976) version.
    Last edited by reese; 07-10-2020 at 12:28 PM.

oh here's another one!

Yes, a full chorus is removed; I assume this was done to make the single more danceable after the success of Love Hangover. This is how I first heard OLIML and prefer the single mix, but yes, it was very strange to remove the actual “hook” and replace it with instrumentation.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In most of these cases, it was the single edit that I heard first so I didn't know that there longer versions until I bought the albums. I didn't find the edits for STONED LOVE and RIVER DEEP... so bad except that they added some extra parts that weren't in the original versions.
    All of the parts were in the originals. The single version of Stoned Love reused an earlier section of the song at time 0:48 starting with "Don't you hear the wind blowing" again at time 2:10. However, even knowing that I find the punchier mix of the single and its length just right.

With River Deep they are just simple edits of sections of the original, perhaps too harshly with the chorus being edited at time 2:09.

The most pointless Diana single edit award for me goes to the single version of I Thought It Took A Little time where they edited out a small section just before the fade at the end. I always thought that it was not worth doing as the reduced track length could have been achieved by just fading

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    All of the parts were in the originals. The single version of Stoned Love reused an earlier section of the song at time 0:48 starting with "Don't you hear the wind blowing" again at time 2:10. However, even knowing that I find the punchier mix of the single and its length just right.

With River Deep they are just simple edits of sections of the original, perhaps too harshly with the chorus being edited at time 2:09.

The most pointless Diana single edit award for me goes to the single version of I Thought It Took A Little time where they edited out a small section just before the fade at the end. I always thought that it was not worth doing as the reduced track length could have been achieved by just fading
    oh rover lololol! how can you say that about SL?

just teasing ya

i have the total opposite opinion. i hate the single version of SL and feel it destroys the bridge. the song is so majestic and wonderful and the "on and on and on and on" ending of the bridge is amazing with the climax, the girls harmonies, the swirling strings. thats a part of the song a HEAVILY rewind in listen to "over and over and over and over" lolol. IMO they just neutered the song with their edits

There is also the single version of Upside Down at the end where they cut out a few seconds of the instrumental. I never understood why for some strange reason when I hear that in public I always stop to see if it’s the single or longer version

oh rover lololol! how can you say that about SL?

just teasing ya

i have the total opposite opinion. i hate the single version of SL and feel it destroys the bridge. the song is so majestic and wonderful and the "on and on and on and on" ending of the bridge is amazing with the climax, the girls harmonies, the swirling strings. thats a part of the song a HEAVILY rewind in listen to "over and over and over and over" lolol. IMO they just neutered the song with their edits
    LOL I agree with the longer version being the quality version for the album but for a snappy single I think the edits worked well, it reflected the punch and length of Motown songs from the golden era and I'm not sure about it being such a success if the album version was released as the single. In the UK, Stoned Love [[single) was massive at my college discos and other clubs. A great song no doubt.

Yes, that's what I meant by extra. For those edits, they took parts from a different part of the song like your example of a repeat of "Don't you hear the wind blowing." Or throwing an extra measure of the RIVER DEEP intro.

But again, I don't find those single versions bad at all.

LOL I agree with the longer version being the quality version for the album but for a snappy single I think the edits worked well, it reflected the punch and length of Motown songs from the golden era and I'm not sure about it being such a success if the album version was released as the single. In the UK, Stoned Love [[single) was massive at my college discos and other clubs. A great song no doubt.
    Stoned Love is, IMO, one of the best songs from the entire Motown catalog. the production is magnificent. the vocals are perfect. the orchestration is flawless. the lyrics are timeless and meaningful.

i guess since it's one of my, obvious, favorites that I just can't get over the edits. i'm so in tune with the album version that none of the others compare. it always fell a bit short when performed live, i detest the alt version they created for the #1 cd [[sorry andy! xoxox), the single version. all of them are wildly inferior IMO. i'm just glad that the single edit didn't hinder it's chart performance

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    I don't know, but it is a 50 year old record. Diana Ross said all she did was copy/imitate Valerie Simpson's vocals then tried to sing it a bit her way.

I never once heard Reach Out and Touch on the radio--not even as of today. I have, however, heard it many times online and to be frank, I still couldn't tell you the melody. To me a great pop song is one whose melody instantly comes to mind, songs like Stoned Love, Stop, Where Did Our Love Go and others--but Reach Out and Touch just doesn't register in my brain at all, just like No Matter What Sign or The Composer didn't register. I just don't think Reach Out and Touch was even single material. I know Berry fought against it. The opposite was true for Ain't No Mountain--instantly memorable, hummable. It's a classic whether you are a DR fan or not.

So agree. I also never liked the single mix of ITITALT. It kind of sounds disjointed and they added small bits of instrumentation. They lost the wonderful smooth flow of the album version.

Stoned Love is, IMO, one of the best songs from the entire Motown catalog. the production is magnificent. the vocals are perfect. the orchestration is flawless. the lyrics are timeless and meaningful.

i guess since it's one of my, obvious, favorites that I just can't get over the edits. i'm so in tune with the album version that none of the others compare. it always fell a bit short when performed live, i detest the alt version they created for the #1 cd [[sorry andy! xoxox), the single version. all of them are wildly inferior IMO. i'm just glad that the single edit didn't hinder it's chart performance
    Just for the record, Neither Andy or I had anything to do with the mix of "Stoned Love" on The #1s.

I hardly listen to the single edit. Too choppy. Motown really flubbed with that one. The edit they did on ANMHE was perfect!