[REMOVE ADS]

Motown 30 - What's Goin' On

Does anyone have a copy of this on DVD or VHS? I've seen a few clips - namely the tribute to Mary Wells. How was the rest of this special?

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of this on DVD or VHS? I've seen a few clips - namely the tribute to Mary Wells. How was the rest of this special?
    Idon't remember ever seeing this! I haven't seen Motown 40 either. Isn't Kelly Rowland on that? Why hasn't there been a Motown 50 special?

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Yes and it sucked very bad! I mean there were a few bright spots such as former Temptation Louis Prices' duet with Dawn Lewis of "A Different World", Ollie Woodson leading the Temptations vs the Four Tops",etc. But for the most part the show really wasn't that focused on Motown and the music. Most of the performers never had anything whatsoever to do with Motown. The ones that did like Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne were given only far off glimpses during the finale with the entire cast singing Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On".

This show was from 1990 and aired on CBS. There were still many of the original Motown acts around that they could have included, but they [[Suzanne DePasse) decided to make it a music special about the Civil Rights Movement with Motown as the backdrop..........way in the back! LOL!

Here is a clip of the opening number featuring Whoopi Goldberg:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Wow. That is so cool and Diana and Mary looks so young. I had no idea they both appeared on Motown 30 and kudos to the producers for finally giving Mary Wilson a solo number.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P. Nads View Post
    Idon't remember ever seeing this! I haven't seen Motown 40 either. Isn't Kelly Rowland on that? Why hasn't there been a Motown 50 special?
    Kelly performed with Mary and Cindy at Motown 45. I think Motown 40 was a documentary, or was that Motown 35? Sadly there has been no Motown 50.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I LOVE Whoopi for saying that she wanted to be Mary... and notice everyone APPLAUDED at that.