[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Good point. I didnt know that getting physical with people was considered positive behavior. I don’t believe in putting my hands on people I care about or in general per comments above. Big difference between wanting to and doing it! Diana has a history alledgedly of doing just that per Motown books.
    It's not positive behavior, which is why we were all speaking figuratively and not literally. But as you said yourself, "big difference between wanting to and doing it". Diana said she wanted to shake Florence. I fail to understand why you have a problem with that? Would you rather she had said she didn't give a shit what happened to Florence? Never mind, you probably would.

Interesting, you were radio silent when Marv suggested last week that Mary Wilson beat Diana Ross' ass. Crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Now you know she slap Mr Gordys face so your just stirring the pot AGAIN to get a pat on the head or ass from your Gal Pal.
    ^^^^^^^Mmm hmmm^^^^^^^^

<Sigh> I believe in Mary's book Supreme Faith she stated that Diana had said she wanted to shake Florence and Mary said she understood that because after the years she had left the Supremes that Flo seemed to not be able to get on with her life. I think Diana was speaking figuratively that she just wanted Florence to just get up and reach for her potential. I think both Diana and Mary were saying that out of love for her and frustration that they couldn't help fix it for their friend. At least, that is my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    <Sigh> I believe in Mary's book Supreme Faith she stated that Diana had said she wanted to shake Florence and Mary said she understood that because after the years she had left the Supremes that Flo seemed to not be able to get on with her life. I think Diana was speaking figuratively that she just wanted Florence to just get up and reach for her potential. I think both Diana and Mary were saying that out of love for her and frustration that they couldn't help fix it for their friend. At least, that is my observation.
    Nope, none of what you said is true. Diana Ross made her inappropriate comments the week after Florence Ballard died while people were still in mourning. Do I have to dig out her exact quote one more time? Also, Mary Wilson never said no shit like that ever. She never said she understood what Diane meant or anything else associated with this subject. To be frank, she was pissed by what was said.

Pedro and Tommy...

Talk about two peas in a pod.

Florence got to the point in the early 70s that she felt Diana and Mary both turned on her. So she was always suspicious and her alcoholism didn't make it any better. :/

That wasn’t in Mary’s book it was what Diana had said

Florence was far more honest than Diane in every regard.....

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Florence was far more honest than Diane in every regard.....

Sit all the way down and take your meds Missy. Its Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane Diane 24/7 365 days a year but you said:

"Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

Nope, none of what you said is true. Diana Ross made her inappropriate comments the week after Florence Ballard died while people were still in mourning. Do I have to dig out her exact quote one more time? Also, Mary Wilson never said no shit like that ever. She never said she understood what Diane meant or anything else associated with this subject. To be frank, she was pissed by what was said.
    No, you don't have to dig out her quote, let me do it for you.

"If I'd known how it was going to end with Florence, maybe I would have taken up more time with her, fought her more, even though she didn't want my help...But she got to be a pain in the ass and I said 'Oh forget it!' Maybe I should have slapped her face a few times...She was just one of those people you want to grab and shake and yell, 'Get your fucking life together!'" [[Chicago Tribune Magazine June 20, 1976.)

So Luke was right that Diana did say "slap". Marv was wrong, or straight up lying, saying that she said it a week after Florence died. But if you thought that was all, check this out. I got another quote for ya and I can't wait for Marv and Luke's response to it. Here ya go:

"I wanted to shake her and scream, 'Wake up Flo!'" Mary Wilson, Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme, page 244.

I guess Marv is hoping to follow in Mary's footsteps. Florence said that she'd rather deal with Diane because she's honest, which Mary isn't always. Damn Marv, that's devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Florence got to the point in the early 70s that she felt Diana and Mary both turned on her. So she was always suspicious and her alcoholism didn't make it any better. :/
    Flo felt that way before the 70s. But yeah, alcoholism messes with your brain like any other addiction. It can make you paranoid and distrustful. I think both Diana and Mary wanted Flo to succeed and be happy post Supremes, but neither of them were equipped to do a thing about it really. Mary criticizes Flo's family in her second book, characterizing them as basically being fair weather family. I think Mary refused to acknowledge that if she, Flo's friend who lived a thousand miles away and only saw Flo once a year, could be frustrated by Flo's situation, her family there 365 days were probably a million times more frustrated. It's very hard on a family when one of them has mental issues, or addiction issues, or just plain aint doing right. I know the Ballards had to be tired.

On page 190 in Supreme Faith, Mary wrote Diane had made a statement that she wanted to shake Florence. She had been widely criticized for saying that, BUT I UNDERSTOOD HOW SHE FELT. Eight years after she'd left the group, Flo still couldn't get on with her life.
    I knew I read something to that effect on what I wrote.

Mary and Diana loved Florence and never wanted to see what happen to her the way it did. Actually, when Diana said what she did I believe she was just being plain honest and hurt and mad at the same time. What happen Flo back then was Taboo and not many folks knew how to handle this. To criticize Diana or Mary is really unfair because no one knew what they had to put up with and at the same time understand what was going on with Flo.

Personally, when I lost my brother years ago I said some things that I still remember and I didn't know then what I know now and my only thoughts then was I was never going to see him again. I was bitter, angry, sad, and hurt and now I understand that all those feelings were towards me not him. Why couldn't I save him ? Why couldn't I help ? We were young and I thought we would live forever or at least not something like this.

Flo had a lot of so called friends and Motown family afterwards which shall remain nameless at this point but I did not see any of them rushing to her aid to help. WE WERE NOT THERE !!! so looking from the outside does not give you the true circumstances or picture of what was going on.

On page 190 in Supreme Faith, Mary wrote Diane had made a statement that she wanted to shake Florence. She had been widely criticized for saying that, BUT I UNDERSTOOD HOW SHE FELT. Eight years after she'd left the group, Flo still couldn't get on with her life.
    Thanks Jim! When you mentioned it in your previous post, instantly I remembered exactly what you were talking about. Unlike some people *cough* Marv *cough* I wanted to source it exactly. But when I pulled out the book and searched for it, I didn't find it because apparently I kept looking at the passages around her death. I should have been more thorough. In any case, thanks for sourcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Mary and Diana loved Florence and never wanted to see what happen to her the way it did. Actually, when Diana said what she did I believe she was just being plain honest and hurt and mad at the same time. What happen Flo back then was Taboo and not many folks knew how to handle this. To criticize Diana or Mary is really unfair because no one knew what they had to put up with and at the same time understand what was going on with Flo.

Personally, when I lost my brother years ago I said some things that I still remember and I didn't know then what I know now and my only thoughts then was I was never going to see him again. I was bitter, angry, sad, and hurt and now I understand that all those feelings were towards me not him. Why couldn't I save him ? Why couldn't I help ? We were young and I thought we would live forever or at least not something like this.

Flo had a lot of so called friends and Motown family afterwards which shall remain nameless at this point but I did not see any of them rushing to her aid to help. WE WERE NOT THERE !!! so looking from the outside does not give you the true circumstances or picture of what was going on.
    Sorry about your brother Cap. I think most people can empathize with your words surrounding the situation. The problem is that for a couple people in this forum, Diana Ross [[and for some others, Mary Wilson, and even Flo Ballard) are not allowed to have human emotions and reactions. I once posted before that the Supremes were not super heroes. They were mortals like ourselves. They were ill, they were hungry, they were heartbroken, they were sad, they were mad, they put on their pants one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. Why a standard for some and not for all will never make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sorry about your brother Cap. I think most people can empathize with your words surrounding the situation. The problem is that for a couple people in this forum, Diana Ross [[and for some others, Mary Wilson, and even Flo Ballard) are not allowed to have human emotions and reactions. I once posted before that the Supremes were not super heroes. They were mortals like ourselves. They were ill, they were hungry, they were heartbroken, they were sad, they were mad, they put on their pants one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. Why a standard for some and not for all will never make sense to me.
    You know what's funny is I've been thinking that lately when I watch clips of the group. Before when I'd watch and it looked like one of them wasn't happy I'd automatically assume there was some drama between them. Now I'm like well maybe Flo found out her crush was married or maybe Diana was pissed because whoever was next to her hotel room the night before was being too loud.

So sorry about your brother Captain. God bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    You know what's funny is I've been thinking that lately when I watch clips of the group. Before when I'd watch and it looked like one of them wasn't happy I'd automatically assume there was some drama between them. Now I'm like well maybe Flo found out her crush was married or maybe Diana was pissed because whoever was next to her hotel room the night before was being too loud.
    Yes! And because there's so much sitting out there about the negative moments in the group's history, so many fans, from the diehards to the casual, watch those performances, and even interviews, and read so much into every look, movement and sound. They really believe these ladies were having knock down drag outs every single day.

Yes! And because there's so much sitting out there about the negative moments in the group's history, so many fans, from the diehards to the casual, watch those performances, and even interviews, and read so much into every look, movement and sound. They really believe these ladies were having knock down drag outs every single day.
    They want to believe that. Theres one that seriously fantasizes about Flo beating Diane. LOL These are negative people with holes in there lives imo. Its real sad imo.

She said she wanted to slap the Florence and tell her to get her fucking life together. This coming from a woman that was a source of most of her misery.......!

THE SPARROW SINGS A SONG OF NARCISSISM

https://buffalonews.com/news/the-spa...b3716c4fa.html

I can’t view this. It says due to legal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I can’t view this. It says due to legal reasons.
    Darn it Ollie! Let me try to copy and paste the body of the text for you:

When it comes to ego, there ain't no mountain high enough to top Diana Ross'.

In her new autobiography, the singer rambles on about her own greatness and offers a vacuous pop philosophy usually found on the back of tea bags. For example:

"My love and appreciation of humanity and life extends to all people."

"I have to be Diana Ross, the performer, the star, not Diana the human being . . . "

"For a public figure, enduring unfounded criticism is a necessary evil."

"Success is not all that it's cracked up to be."

"If you ever get lonely, travel. If you can't afford the trip, rip out pictures in magazines and pretend."

My personal favorite, when Ross tried to quell a riot at her live performance in Central Park, she shouted to the unruly crowd: "Do you love me? Do you love me? If you love me, get out of the g------ park!"

Ross is self-serving, petty and vain, but she commits a bigger sin in her celebrity autobiography: She's boring.

The best piece of sleaze from "Secrets of a Sparrow" came out when Ross recently appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show." The former Supreme told Winfrey that her eldest daughter, Rhonda Suzanne, 22, was the love child of a romance with her former Motown mentor Berry Gordy.
    "I don't really say this in the book," Ross said. "Rhonda has two fathers. Bob [[Silberstein, Ross' first husband) raised her . . . yet Berry Gordy is her father."

All right, if Ross is going to save the juicy stuff for Oprah Winfrey, why plunk down 22 bucks for her new book? After all, there's not much else between the covers except for glossy, soft-focus photographs of the Queen Supreme.

This book is so self-centered and goofy, it's difficult to read without laughing out loud.

But she does dish out dirt about those who have offended or upstaged her.

For example, Ross mercilessly lashes out at the late Florence Ballard, an original Supreme who left the group, went broke, and died of a heart attack in 1976.

Ballard, Mary Wilson and Ross came out of a Detroit housing project, and beginning in 1964 recorded a remarkable string of hits as the Supremes.

Ross, with her elegant beauty and lilting voice, was the lead singer in a female trio that became the dominant Motown act of the '60s with hits such as "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Come See About Me," "Stop in the Name of Love," "Reflections" and "Someday We'll Be Together."

The Supremes sold tens of millions of records, but in 1968 Ballard was tossed out of the group. "Florence was . . . an angry woman who drank too much and wouldn't take responsibility for herself," Ross writes.

She also zaps Mary Wilson: "The girls had treated me very badly. They had gone against me with a vengeance."

Ross went solo in 1970, but the old wounds were painfully reopened in 1976 when Ross showed up at Ballard's funeral. Ross created a media circus and tried to run the show, which angered Ballard's relatives.

"I tried to take charge. I guess it's my nature," Ross writes. "I finally gave up. I didn't go to the cemetery. I just got into my car feeling terrible and went home to grieve alone."

Mary Wilson later blasted Ross in her autobiography.

"I loved Mary," Ross writes in her usual Hallmark-card prose. "I have forgiven Mary . . . but I had to allow our friendship to fade away."

Ross similarly dismisses her first two husbands but claims that main squeeze No. 3 -- multimillionaire industrialist Arne Naess -- is peachy keen.

"After the wedding we went on a honeymoon to Tahiti; Arne owns an island near there," Ross writes. "It's very small but completely private, and we were like Adam and Eve, running around naked. All I can say is we were very, very happy."

Diana Ross at 49 still looks stunning and retains an alluring singing voice. Her rise to wealth and fame, while raising five children, should be an inspirational story.

Unfortunately, all that is secondary to this book's real story: Diana Ross' unending love affair with herself.

Review

Secrets of a Sparrow

By Diana Ross

Villard Books

288 pages, $22.

In her new autobiography, the singer rambles on about her own greatness and offers a vacuous pop philosophy usually found on the back of tea bags. For example:

"I have to be Diana Ross, the performer, the star, not Diana the human being . . . "

"If you ever get lonely, travel. If you can't afford the trip, rip out pictures in magazines and pretend."

My personal favorite, when Ross tried to quell a riot at her live performance in Central Park, she shouted to the unruly crowd: "Do you love me? Do you love me? If you love me, get out of the g------ park!"

Ross is self-serving, petty and vain, but she commits a bigger sin in her celebrity autobiography: She's boring.

The best piece of sleaze from "Secrets of a Sparrow" came out when Ross recently appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show." The former Supreme told Winfrey that her eldest daughter, Rhonda Suzanne, 22, was the love child of a romance with her former Motown mentor Berry Gordy.
    "I don't really say this in the book," Ross said. "Rhonda has two fathers. Bob [[Silberstein, Ross' first husband) raised her . . . yet Berry Gordy is her father."

All right, if Ross is going to save the juicy stuff for Oprah Winfrey, why plunk down 22 bucks for her new book? After all, there's not much else between the covers except for glossy, soft-focus photographs of the Queen Supreme.

This book is so self-centered and goofy, it's difficult to read without laughing out loud.

For example, Ross mercilessly lashes out at the late Florence Ballard, an original Supreme who left the group, went broke, and died of a heart attack in 1976.

Ballard, Mary Wilson and Ross came out of a Detroit housing project, and beginning in 1964 recorded a remarkable string of hits as the Supremes.

Ross, with her elegant beauty and lilting voice, was the lead singer in a female trio that became the dominant Motown act of the '60s with hits such as "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Come See About Me," "Stop in the Name of Love," "Reflections" and "Someday We'll Be Together."

The Supremes sold tens of millions of records, but in 1968 Ballard was tossed out of the group. "Florence was . . . an angry woman who drank too much and wouldn't take responsibility for herself," Ross writes.

She also zaps Mary Wilson: "The girls had treated me very badly. They had gone against me with a vengeance."

Ross went solo in 1970, but the old wounds were painfully reopened in 1976 when Ross showed up at Ballard's funeral. Ross created a media circus and tried to run the show, which angered Ballard's relatives.

"I tried to take charge. I guess it's my nature," Ross writes. "I finally gave up. I didn't go to the cemetery. I just got into my car feeling terrible and went home to grieve alone."

"I loved Mary," Ross writes in her usual Hallmark-card prose. "I have forgiven Mary . . . but I had to allow our friendship to fade away."

Ross similarly dismisses her first two husbands but claims that main squeeze No. 3 -- multimillionaire industrialist Arne Naess -- is peachy keen.

"After the wedding we went on a honeymoon to Tahiti; Arne owns an island near there," Ross writes. "It's very small but completely private, and we were like Adam and Eve, running around naked. All I can say is we were very, very happy."

Diana Ross at 49 still looks stunning and retains an alluring singing voice. Her rise to wealth and fame, while raising five children, should be an inspirational story.

Unfortunately, all that is secondary to this book's real story: Diana Ross' unending love affair with herself.

Review

Secrets of a Sparrow

By Diana Ross

Villard Books

288 pages, $22.
    Many thanks. Will read it tomorrow as I am now off to bed.

Many thanks. Will read it tomorrow as I am now off to bed.
    Ok, you're welcome.

Review

Secrets of a Sparrow

By Diana Ross

Villard Books

288 pages, $22.
    This ones got more files on Diane Ross than J Edgar Hoover had on the entire Kennedy family. LMFAO Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Man sometimes I wonder if these people actually read that book. DR did not go "viciously" after Florence Ballard. I thought, if anything, DR was generous. She was also pretty neutral on Mary, too, giving her some compliments along the way. I think DR was just as hurt as the other two and spoke hjonestly about that which is no different than Mary speaking up about how she felt. The rest of this review was spot on, but still...

Now you know she slap Mr Gordys face so your just stirring the pot AGAIN to get a pat on the head or ass from your Gal Pal.
    She’s a comic too!

Wicked fun Roberta!

LOL I loved "Moonwalker" as a kid because, well, it was Michael Jackson. During the 80s and early to mid 90s, Michael could've mixed shit and Cheerios, packaged them up and sold them as Shitty-O's, and I would've damn near cut my mama to get a box. But I haven't read the book since it was a new release. On the other hand, about 9 years ago I watched the Moonwalker movie for the first time in probably 20 years and was shocked to discover that I was bored out of my mind through most of it. Back in the day we watched that damn movie so much that I could recite it line for line. I guess one had to be a kid to appreciate it. I'm curious now about how I might view the book any differently today.
    Yeah I was like that too. I watched Moonwalker at 4/5 years old and it seemed like the greatest thing ever. Watched it again as a grown up [[after MJ died) and I changed the channel. It was THAT boring [[Captain EO was actually much worse lol).

But that book, it was like reading those short music biography books at my elementary school lol

Of course Diana was probably speaking figuratively rather than literally. But I think most people get the sentiment.

Apparently Flo intimidated a lot of people. I think it was Martha Reeves who said Flo had a way of looking at someone that made it clear she wasn't one to tangle with. But yet so many folks who knew her speak so highly of her. So I don't think it was Flo walking around like she was Miss Tough Stuff as much as it was her having an air about her that said "Don't try me".

But I would've loved a front row seat to whatever was going down that night between Lala Brooks and Diana and Flo. No lie. Lol
    I'm still imagining how that fight between Diana, the other Supremes and Brian Holland's wife [[the name escapes me) went down. *eating popcorn* Florence allegedly said from one of the books, "you don't wanna know how many times I had to save Diane from all those fights" or something to that effect. The original Supremes were a trip, which is why I love them so much over the other pairings lol

DMF for life!

They overdramatize everything especially when it's a group of BLACK WOMEN. Like three black women are only good for drama and nothing else. Like we're supposed to pretend that at one point, they weren't best friends/almost close to a family at one point.

I mean you have three young ladies from very different backgrounds: Flo was one of fifteen from a large family under humble means, Mary came from a broken home and Diana was competing in a middle class family that felt favored her elder sister over her while dealing with a father that was at best neutral to her.

When these three came together under the suggestion of Milton Jenkins, their love of music bonded them closer than any family could [[though Florence was more of a family woman than the other two). They were very different, yes: Mary wanted to be rich and famous, Diana wanted to be a huge superstar and Florence just wanted to sing, but I don't buy any claims that they were always fighting. That was surely not true in the early years and through the struggling Motown years and when they started to become world famous. Things didn't change until after 1965 and it was a gradual thing. And by then, success had in a way separated them. As Flo told Peter Benjaminson, they stopped hanging out at some point and all three were given separate hotel rooms [[whereas in the past they shared hotel rooms), and they would only see each other at the dressing room before the show [[Flo said that her, Mary and Diana were FORCED to be split).

I think when that happened, that was the beginning of the tensions that eventually led a despondent, alcoholic Florence to lash out and force Berry to fire her just as they were becoming a fixture in Vegas in July '67. But even in those years, they were still friends and Flo looked out for both Mary and Diana. Flo was the one to confront Berry about Diana collapsing in Boston and consoled her.

Bottom line: they were close. They fought, yes, but so do sisters and sometimes they can clash as well, the Supremes weren't unique in that regard. You do know that the Beatles were beefing like mad when they split up in 1970 but no one wants to talk about that because... well you know...

Mary has said often how she and Diana wanted to help Florence but sometimes Flo pushed away. That was definitely true when Mary asked Flo to rejoin the Supremes in 1974 and she rolled her eyes at Mary telling her, "I'm not interested in singing anymore." That was a year before she begun to make the comeback that wasn't meant to be. Florence was still on speaking terms with both of her former Supremes partners at the time of her death.

Mary has said often how she and Diana wanted to help Florence but sometimes Flo pushed away. That was definitely true when Mary asked Flo to rejoin the Supremes in 1974 and she rolled her eyes at Mary telling her, "I'm not interested in singing anymore." That was a year before she begun to make the comeback that wasn't meant to be. Florence was still on speaking terms with both of her former Supremes partners at the time of her death.
    Was that a definite, concrete offer for Florence to rejoin the Supremes midnight?? I can’t imagine Gordy would have gone for that.
    The review of the book is a little OTT for me . We all know that Diana can be a diva, but come on. Viciously attacked Florence my ass. I agree with some of the things mentioned in the book. The philosophy quotes for one are a ‘tad humorous and cannot possibly be taken seriously.
    Overall i didn’t think the book was that bad. Not great, but I have most certainly read a lot worse.

Ran,
    Actually if you listen to the recordings of Flo by Peter Benjamin she is asked about fights in the group and her response was it was no more than sister arguments. Florence had no reason to lie about this. Of course the recordings didn't come out until all the so called books had been written.

Was that a definite, concrete offer for Florence to rejoin the Supremes midnight?? I can’t imagine Gordy would have gone for that.
    The review of the book is a little OTT for me . We all know that Diana can be a diva, but come on. Viciously attacked Florence my ass. I agree with some of the things mentioned in the book. The philosophy quotes for one are a ‘tad humorous and cannot possibly be taken seriously.
    Overall i didn’t think the book was that bad. Not great, but I have most certainly read a lot worse.
    IDK. According to Mary, she wanted to bring Flo back to the group, Flo just turned her down flat.

Ran,
    Actually if you listen to the recordings of Flo by Peter Benjamin she is asked about fights in the group and her response was it was no more than sister arguments. Florence had no reason to lie about this. Of course the recordings didn't come out until all the so called books had been written.
    I also notice some YouTubers only uploaded the moments where there was drama but not the ones where she talked about the good times. It's like you can tell people had their own agendas to rewrite the history of the group. I got swept up in it when YouTube was first created and some Supremes fans [[or a fan of a particular Supreme, at the time, it was more of the "Flo" fans), but Flo's full tapes show a far different Supremes story than what one was expecting.

She said she wanted to slap the Florence and tell her to get her fucking life together. This coming from a woman that was a source of most of her misery.......!
    And Mary said she wanted to shake her, and Mary said she understood how Diana felt. Why isn't Mary being criticized? You and Luke had so much to say about Diana and the rest of us and then when confronted with sourced quotes of Mary's own words...crickets. Could Mary shoot somebody in the middle of Fifth Avenue and you and Luke still remain silent?

This ones got more files on Diane Ross than J Edgar Hoover had on the entire Kennedy family. LMFAO Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.
    No reason to speculate what his internet history looks like.

Yeah I was like that too. I watched Moonwalker at 4/5 years old and it seemed like the greatest thing ever. Watched it again as a grown up [[after MJ died) and I changed the channel. It was THAT boring [[Captain EO was actually much worse lol).

But that book, it was like reading those short music biography books at my elementary school lol
    Yeah, Captain EO was bad. I haven't seen it since the mid 90s even though I have it on VHS. I remember watching it then and thinking "yikes". Maybe I should watch it soon and see how I feel.

They overdramatize everything especially when it's a group of BLACK WOMEN.
    Say it one more time for the people in the back.

As for the Beatles, I do remember someone once saying that Beatles forums make Supremes forums look like Mister Rogers Neighborhood, or something to that effect. However, I don't think there's a Beatles fan alive who allows any of their controversy to stain the overall legacy of the band. Meanwhile, Supremes fans everywhere would rather discuss the controversies than the music itself. Tsk tsk.

I think Mary spoke to Flo about getting it together and getting back to singing, but I don't think Mary ever offered nor entertained the idea of Flo coming back, not at that point. I imagine Mary may have welcomed Flo back into the group when Diana was still in the group, but by the mid 70s, Mary was Queen Bee of that ship and I doubt she would've ever wanted to relinquish that position, either in full or in part, to Flo Ballard. And when Flo finally did decide to give music another shot, I doubt she would've ever been tempted to rejoin the Supremes.

The reviewer was entitled to see it how he seen it, but personally I found the review reeking of bias. Clearly that was someone who never liked Diana Ross and found the opportunity to lash out. So he had a problem with her saying:

My love and appreciation of humanity and life extends to all people."

Alright. So am I to assume that he would rather she had written:

"My love and appreciation is reserved for a select few people. Everyone and everything else can suck my dick!"

"I am not a human being. I am a performer, a star. I do not have human emotions. I do not cry. I do not eat. I do not sleep. I don't even take a shit. I'm special."

"I'm criticized so much and I think it's unfair and should be outlawed. Maybe one day there will be a president who is elected who believes that criticizing people should be a punishable offense."

That's what I was talking about earlier in the thread. It's like she's not allowed to be human. So Mary can write a book about Diana, stating how she felt about Diana and certain events, but Diana isn't allowed to do the same? What kind of hypocritical shit is that? If the article didn't appear so professional, I might assume it was the work of the member who posted it.

Ran,
    Yeah, I've pointed that out before. Florence had a bunch of sisters so she was obviously an expert at sisterhood. For her to compare a lot of what was going on to the bickering and fighting sisters do when they're with each other almost around the clock, I figured it was probably an accurate statement. But there are some fans who know more about what was going on that Flo did, so...

I think Mary spoke to Flo about getting it together and getting back to singing, but I don't think Mary ever offered nor entertained the idea of Flo coming back, not at that point. I imagine Mary may have welcomed Flo back into the group when Diana was still in the group, but by the mid 70s, Mary was Queen Bee of that ship and I doubt she would've ever wanted to relinquish that position, either in full or in part, to Flo Ballard. And when Flo finally did decide to give music another shot, I doubt she would've ever been tempted to rejoin the Supremes.
    In SUPREME FAITH, Mary wrote that prior to Flo's visit to LA in 1974, they had spoken a lot. In the back of her mind, she entertained the thought of asking Flo back but she knew Flo still had a lot of issues. She didn't mention actually making an offer. Flo drank a lot during the visit and instead of being angry, now seemed resigned to her fate which killed Mary.

She says the one bright spot of the trip was Flo joining the group onstage at Magic Mountain but a few days later, she returned to Detroit and Mary felt she was lost forever.
    In another interview, Cindy spoke of Flo's visit and said that they were encouraging her to get back in the business. I think she might have even mentioned some picnic where they invited some folks to meet Flo. But Flo said something about missing her kids and went back home.

I also notice some YouTubers only uploaded the moments where there was drama but not the ones where she talked about the good times. It's like you can tell people had their own agendas to rewrite the history of the group. I got swept up in it when YouTube was first created and some Supremes fans [[or a fan of a particular Supreme, at the time, it was more of the "Flo" fans), but Flo's full tapes show a far different Supremes story than what one was expecting.
    Peter Benjaminson himself was full of shit and wanted to paint the picture of an evil, mean Diana Ross, and he set out to do it. I called him on some shit back when the book was released and his responses convinced me he was full of shit from day one. I appreciate that he took the time to document Florence in any way, but I wonder what her thoughts would be if she could read the book or hear his assessment of things today. Don't get me started on him.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In SUPREME FAITH, Mary wrote that prior to Flo's visit to LA in 1974, they had spoken a lot. In the back of her mind, she entertained the thought of asking Flo back but she knew Flo still had a lot of issues. She didn't mention actually making an offer. Flo drank a lot during the visit and instead of being angry, now seemed resigned to her fate which killed Mary.

She says the one bright spot of the trip was Flo joining the group onstage at Magic Mountain but a few days later, she returned to Detroit and Mary felt she was lost forever.
    In another interview, Cindy spoke of Flo's visit and said that they were encouraging her to get back in the business. I think she might have even mentioned some picnic where they invited some folks to meet Flo. But Flo said something about missing her kids and went back home.
    Thanks Reese. I stand corrected. Interesting bit about Cindy. I hadn't heard that before.

The reviewer was entitled to see it how he seen it, but personally I found the review reeking of bias. Clearly that was someone who never liked Diana Ross and found the opportunity to lash out. So he had a problem with her saying:

My love and appreciation of humanity and life extends to all people."

Alright. So am I to assume that he would rather she had written:

"My love and appreciation is reserved for a select few people. Everyone and everything else can suck my dick!"

"I am not a human being. I am a performer, a star. I do not have human emotions. I do not cry. I do not eat. I do not sleep. I don't even take a shit. I'm special."

"I'm criticized so much and I think it's unfair and should be outlawed. Maybe one day there will be a president who is elected who believes that criticizing people should be a punishable offense."

That's what I was talking about earlier in the thread. It's like she's not allowed to be human. So Mary can write a book about Diana, stating how she felt about Diana and certain events, but Diana isn't allowed to do the same? What kind of hypocritical shit is that? If the article didn't appear so professional, I might assume it was the work of the member who posted it.
    I betcha he also didn’t like her blowing kisses into the audience at Central Park asking them “can you feel me”. He sounds that type.

If the article didn't appear so professional, I might assume it was the work of the member who posted it.
    I posted the article so you are insulting me. You stupid F**ker! You are that stupid and that big of an asshole? You want to insult me, let's arrange for you to do it to my face and not like some punk behind a keyboard, cool? Oh it can be arranged. Diana Ross ain't got you this damned wound up!

Well you’ve been insulted 500 other times, deservedly so - so just go back to the hole with Luke and don’t sweat

Maybe watch The Wiz and Lady - have a Diana Day

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Well you’ve been insulted 500 other times, deservedly so - so just go back to the hole with Luke and don’t sweat

Maybe watch The Wiz and Lady - have a Diana Day
    Drop-dead or just go back to sleep Mr.I Know Nothing and Mr. I Can't Ever Contribute Anything of Value to these Forums because I Don't Know Anything nor Have I Ever Known Anything. Mr. I AM Just Here to Bitch And Try to Start Fights in the Name of a Washed Up Hag".
    Last edited by marv2; 07-12-2020 at 08:16 AM.