[REMOVE ADS]

Insightful Interviews Behind Stolen Moments

What a joy this was to read. Thank you so much for posting it Motown.
    I so wish she would dedicate a larger portion of her live show to jazz numbers. She still sounds great doing those BH songs. It’s so refreshing to read such positive feedback.
    ps....I think this is in the wrong forum lol.

One for DRATS ?

Wonderful piece. I love that it paints a vivid account of Diana as a seasoned professional who, at the same time, didn't take herself too seriously. And I had no idea that Phyllis Hyman attended the taping. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting - very informative - thanks

Great article. Keep this in mind the next time a thread is started or interrupted by someone who wants to revisit a negative memory concerning the lady.

I have the album on cassette. I really should try to update it because I haven't listened to it in probably 20 years. I always thought she did a beautiful job with it. But reading the article reinforces the opinion I put forth in a thread sometime ago that in the 90s Diana should've followed Natalie Cole's footsteps and recorded more jazzy material. I really believe the public was just never going to get behind Diana Ross as a pop/r&b artist anymore. She could've been as relevant as Natalie was in the 90s with those fantastic albums she released. It shouldn't have been a stolen moment. It should have been an introduction into the next phase of Diana's career.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Great article. Keep this in mind the next time a thread is started or interrupted by someone who wants to revisit a negative memory concerning the lady.

I have the album on cassette. I really should try to update it because I haven't listened to it in probably 20 years. I always thought she did a beautiful job with it. But reading the article reinforces the opinion I put forth in a thread sometime ago that in the 90s Diana should've followed Natalie Cole's footsteps and recorded more jazzy material. I really believe the public was just never going to get behind Diana Ross as a pop/r&b artist anymore. She could've been as relevant as Natalie was in the 90s with those fantastic albums she released. It shouldn't have been a stolen moment. It should have been an introduction into the next phase of Diana's career.
    Diana singing more r&b orientated material is for me music heaven. Having said that, i agree in that generally, not always the public seemed unwilling to accept Diana cast in that role.
    The huge international success [[minus USA) of the very pop sounding FBTP album kind of reinforces this. Neither TMH or EDIAND sold nearly as well though many fans consider them superior albums. Add to that the success she had in Europe with pop confections such as “Your Love” and “Best Years”, yet failed with the far more soulful “Gone” and you appear to have a trend. Even the wonderful r&b, slow burner “Not Over You Yet” had to be sweetened up for mass consumption which of course proved fruitful in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana singing more r&b orientated material is for me music heaven. Having said that, i agree in that generally, not always the public seemed unwilling to accept Diana cast in that role.
    The huge international success [[minus USA) of the very pop sounding FBTP album kind of reinforces this. Neither TMH or EDIAND sold nearly as well though many fans consider them superior albums. Add to that the success she had in Europe with pop confections such as “Your Love” and “Best Years”, yet failed with the far more soulful “Gone” and you appear to have a trend. Even the wonderful r&b, slow burner “Not Over You Yet” had to be sweetened up for mass consumption which of course proved fruitful in the end.
    Oh I agree about Diana and r&b, although by the time the 90s started rolling through, I don't think much of the r&b sounds of the time fit her well. My favorite Diana Ross of the 60s, 70s and 80s is when she sings r&b. But sadly Diana's musical legacy pretty much ends with the RCA years. Most people don't even know or remember that she went back to Motown. In the states, outside of us die hards, most folks don't remember any of those Motown Phase II albums or singles, with the possible exceptions of "Overtime" and "No Matter What You Do". Diana deserved more success and attention and I think she would've gotten that with more jazzy albums.

My only wish is for that show to be remastered in blu ray. It was just that good.