[REMOVE ADS]

Everyday words and phrases that have racist connotations

https://apple.news/AgREUzMotQwyx13yXMl_c8w

saw this story and heard bits and pieces for a while . While I’ll give them credit for trying to change, but this seems kinda blah . This quote I found kinda says it all: Black people don't care if u stop saying "master bedroom" or if u remove problematic shows from decades ago from hulu, Black people want an end to police brutality and institutionalized racism. everything else is useless pandering

It is blah,some folks got nothing better to do...master bedroom??? Racist?really??? Give me a freakin break!

Most of that was pretty silly, IMO. I heard that the NBA is retiring the phrase "team owner" for something less racisty. I never thought "owner" was an overtly racist phrase without the word "slave" in front of it, but whatever helps you sleep at night. Now I feel bad about being a home owner.

It seems to me that they want to give us these piddly thing to try and please us without making any real change.

As folks will do,sometimes things go too far!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    As folks will do,sometimes things go too far!
    Too far in the wrong direction. Not far enough in the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Too far in the wrong direction. Not far enough in the right one.
    I agree with the consensus here. The issue ain't pancakes...it's parity.

Gotta concur with all of the above. I roll my eyes every time I hear of some useless pandering. The hope is that we'll be mesmerized by these surface changes and forget about demanding real change. In other words, take a knee in Congress with your Kente cloth and then get back to business as usual.

While I applaud the efforts to erase cosmetic racism, it means absolutely nothing until systemic racism is eradicated, like when police use excessive or deadly force in their interactions with Black people, or when the Karens of the world no longer feel like they can harass or pull guns on innocent Black people just trying to live their life.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    While I applaud the efforts to erase cosmetic racism, it means absolutely nothing until systemic racism is eradicated, like when police use excessive or deadly force in their interactions with Black people, or when the Karens of the world no longer feel like they can harass or pull guns on innocent Black people just trying to live their life.
    Amen!..........

were in the black

Well here is a positive one that is said when you make a profit.

Does this mean that no matter how hard I can study, I can never master a subject?
    If you do decide you are serious in wantinng to get rid of words that appear to have racist connotations no matter how tenuous, you first need to come up with words that can be used in their place in preference to them.
    You also need to recognise that any changes you make to the English language - as is your right - will stop at the US borders.