[REMOVE ADS]

No matter what you do

Always wondered what started this union. I have always loved the song but curious as to how it came it about.

I vaguely recall reading that Diana's daughters were Al B. Sure fans and they were the catalyst but I can't confirm.

I just remember never seeing them perform it together and I believe I finally found it on AL B Sure LP.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I just remember never seeing them perform it together and I believe I finally found it on AL B Sure LP.
    I don't think they ever sang it live. I remember them attending the Grammys together and maybe a few other things but that's about it.

It first came out on Al B. Sure's album PRIVATE TIMES...AND THE WHOLE 9 in 1990. It wasn't until 1991 that it was finally released as a single.
    Last edited by reese; 07-06-2020 at 10:18 PM.

I doubt it was a intra-conflict label thing 'cause this song could've easily been a big hit for Al and Diana... maybe if Motown had her working with Al and his partner [[I forget his name, West someone, maybe Kyle West) instead of NILE, then maybe Diana's comeback album with them would've been a smash.

I love the song btw... I can imagine the video too. So many opportunities with Diana were always squandered. :/

It was marketed to the R&B audience/ radio stations where it peaked at #4. It was a hit. perhaps if there was a video, it could have gone to #1.

I have always loved this song. It was also on the EMI release of Diana Ross’ “Force behind the Power” album

With a suitable video I think this fantastic song would have been a big hit in the UK given Diana's enduring popularity here. It is a new and sexy angle to a duet for her. I agree with what was said above, another opportunity missed.

I must admit that of all of Diana's duets, this is probably my least favorite. But I was happy that it became a hit and hoped that it would lead to further success with the upcoming FORCE BEHIND THE POWER project. Unfortunately that didn't happen, at least not in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I doubt it was a intra-conflict label thing 'cause this song could've easily been a big hit for Al and Diana... maybe if Motown had her working with Al and his partner [[I forget his name, West someone, maybe Kyle West) instead of NILE, then maybe Diana's comeback album with them would've been a smash.

I love the song btw... I can imagine the video too. So many opportunities with Diana were always squandered. :/
    Sadly true. I like WO, but it was the wrong sound for at that point in her career. If not Al B.Sure & Kyle West, then Kashif, Quincy, George Duke, Nararda, Luther, Ashford and Simpson etc etc. The possibilities and potential were endless.