[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Unreleased Albums?

You always hear of unreleased albums by our beloved Motown artists but, I’ve never heard of any unreleased albums by The Miracles. Were there any? I’m surprised nothing like a live Copa album doesn’t exist.

My apologies if this has already been addressed. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    You always hear of unreleased albums by our beloved Motown artists but, I’ve never heard of any unreleased albums by The Miracles. Were there any? I’m surprised nothing like a live Copa album doesn’t exist.

As far as a copa album is concerned there may be some shows committed to tape. Motown made a practice of documenting such events for preservation purposes in some cases. But when it comes to studio recordings Smokey was pretty efficient in his choice of material and only recorded what he felt the best about. As a result there are very few tracks left behind and when one surfaces it's ONLY ONE usually. If that's surprising,then there are no unreleased solo tracks either. Hope this helped...

In the book WOMEN OF MOTOWN, Claudette mentioned an unreleased album called THE MIRACLES SING MODERN. It was an album of standards and she had a couple of leads on it.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the book WOMEN OF MOTOWN, Claudette mentioned an unreleased album called THE MIRACLES SING MODERN. It was an album of standards and she had a couple of leads on it.
    That album was never finished, and the few tracks that were recorded where reassigned to other albums as fillers.

A bit off subject but it seems I recall reading about how various Motown acts did at the Copa. What stood out in my mind is that the Miracles and Four Tops didn't do so well there [[that the Tops didn't do well was super surprising). The Temptations were very well received though.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

Love "If I Were A Bell" on the lost and found cd

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    A bit off subject but it seems I recall reading about how various Motown acts did at the Copa. What stood out in my mind is that the Miracles and Four Tops didn't do so well there [[that the Tops didn't do well was super surprising). The Temptations were very well received though.

In his book, Smokey wrote of not liking the venue. I believe he called it a "workhouse," and disliked having to do some of the material they performed at clubs like that.

I think it was in Peter Benjaminson's book that it was written that the Tops didn't do well. He also wrote something about the Vandellas being booked there before they were ready and bombing. But I don't know how true that is, as Martha wrote that they headlined there a number of times and that Jules Podell sent her telegrams of well-wishes for years afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post

Good question. There was the unreleased The Miracles Sing Modern LP that others have already mentioned on this thread. And there's I Like It Like That that was released only in England in 1965 [[mostly cuts from the Doin' Mickey's Monkey LP with some substitutions). Off topic, it's too bad that we never got a follow-up to the excellent Depend On Me: The Early Albums box set from 2009.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-07-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Never heard bout that song, TJ. What time period was that from?

BTW, love your programs!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

I never heard that before. The Four Tops were perfect for the Copa. That was the type of work they were doing with Billy Eckstine before coming to Motown. So I don't know how true that is.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    TJ, do you mean "If I Had A Hammer"?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    TJ, do you mean "If I Had A Hammer"?

Here it is :

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In his book, Smokey wrote of not liking the venue. I believe he called it a "workhouse," and disliked having to do some of the material they performed at clubs like that.

I think it was in Peter Benjaminson's book that it was written that the Tops didn't do well. He also wrote something about the Vandellas being booked there before they were ready and bombing. But I don't know how true that is, as Martha wrote that they headlined there a number of times and that Jules Podell sent her telegrams of well-wishes for years afterwards.
    Thank you for that! I really would have thought the Four Tops would have done especially well at such a place. After reading what you wrote, I did start to recall Smokey not liking the standards/non-Motown tunes. When, a few years ago, he released an album of standards from the Great American Songbook, I chuckled because of those remarks. I guess we can all grow to appreciate things we don't like in our younger years.

As far as Martha & The Vandellas, in Randy J. Taraborrelli's book on Motown, he cites a review from Variety magazine where it was said "...Martha goes further artistically with her gut emoting than Diana Ross...and makes for a refreshing change." [[or words to that effect.) So it would seem Martha & Co. at least rang somebody's bell at the Copa.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never heard that before. The Four Tops were perfect for the Copa. That was the type of work they were doing with Billy Eckstine before coming to Motown. So I don't know how true that is.
    Exactly. That's why it stuck in my mind that I had read it somewhere because it was so odd. The Four Tops were MADE for that type of venue. Hopefully, someone will have some old magazine article that will set the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Here it is :
    This is so good! I liked this material on the "Something New" album, but I had no idea they did more. This is really amazing for such a young group.

It's from their lost and found set "Along Came Love" which included some unreleased stuff.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 07-08-2020 at 02:26 AM.

I've always liked their peformance of this track :

sounds almost like harmonies of The Pied Pipers on "Dream"