[REMOVE ADS]

E-Bay Question or Alternative?

In the not too distant future I hope to retire and will then spend some time liquidating at least some of my music collection as a way to pass the time and supplement my income. As of now, unless you guys give me a better idea, I will plan to use E-Bay.

But it has been at least 10 years or more since I have bought or sold anything on there and I wondered about something. Can you still sell something as an auction, like you could in the early going or is everything more of a set price nowadays?

I remember having great fun as a buyer watching the auction deadline and trying to sneak in there at the last second to outbid someone, so I would hate it if they have changed the format so that people can't do that anymore. And as a seller I would think it would be much more enjoyable to set a minimum price and see what kind of a bidding war develops as opposed to quoting a price and just waiting to see if someone will pay it.

Of course I know I could simply go on their website and read the current rules, but it is easier to ask you guys. Besides maybe some of you know about some newer auction website that I would enjoy more. So what is the good word?

David, I have the same challenge. A lifetime collecting, many very rare tracks. Thousands of vinyl soul albums, thousands of cds, several hundred cassettes,several hundred 45s. In my mind, I have written their value to zero. The time photographing, describing and grading each record, advertising, seller's fees, packaging, mailing, materials, time time time, is it worth the effort? I wonder if maybe popsike helps one to focus on items worth the effort. This week, I saw on popsike that a demo stateside 45 by The Fascinations that I bought in the 60s sold for 499 pounds sterling! It is all a mystery to me. Especially as 45s on general are much higher priced than an album which includes the same track as well as another eleven tracks. Less costs more.....go figure. Discogs is another route but often the prices look derisable.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    David, I have the same challenge. A lifetime collecting, many very rare tracks. Thousands of vinyl soul albums, thousands of cds, several hundred cassettes,several hundred 45s. In my mind, I have written their value to zero. The time photographing, describing and grading each record, advertising, seller's fees, packaging, mailing, materials, time time time, is it worth the effort? I wonder if maybe popsike helps one to focus on items worth the effort. This week, I saw on popsike that a demo stateside 45 by The Fascinations that I bought in the 60s sold for 499 pounds sterling! It is all a mystery to me. Especially as 45s on general are much higher priced than an album which includes the same track as well as another eleven tracks. Less costs more.....go figure. Discogs is another route but often the prices look derisable.
    Mike
    Me too, Mike. I haven't sold CDs or LPs on eBay in about 20 years. I bought many CD reissues in the late 80s, early 90s as the format was increasing in popularity.

In or around 2000, I sold the original CD issue of Angela Bofill's "Angie" for close to $100 -- probably my single highest take. Other big tickets were Stephanie Mills' Motown album, a Shirley Bassey live CD with Carnegie Hall and the Pigalle on one CD, and "The Boss/Diana" 2-on-1 CD. I was between jobs at the time so eBay was a godsend.

Now I have plastic bins full of CDs that I cannot give away. I have digitized my collection to make my life simpler and reduce clutter. Yet, I still have a ton of CDs and Vinyl.

I don't know what the market is today for CDs. I know that certain vinyl is still valuable.

Good luck, DavidDesper

Guy: take a look at Discogs: you will be surprised!

I did break down and check out the current ebay. I see that auctions are still very much a part of their process. However, from just a quick review it looks as if very little sells on there. I am sure if you have something especially rare that it will, but most of the stuff I was seeing was priced at a buck or two and nobody was even making a bid at those low prices. I will check out Discogs as suggested. Thanks.

I've used Ebay and Amazon for selling items. I won't use Amazon in the future.

It is so weird - you see a CD for sale on Ebay at extortionate prices, and the following month, the same title / artist for a CD doesn't even sell. A few sell consistently at high prices - and others, you think just can't / won't sell, lots of people go for it. Overall, my experience hasn't been too bad with Ebay. Certainly my current experience of receiving items through the post hasn't been fantastic - as the packages are sometimes damaged, or contents removed, and just the empty package left on the doorstep [[those were books).

I used an auction house the last time I sold items, but one has to be so careful with these as their fees may be fairly high.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Guy: take a look at Discogs: you will be surprised!
    Interesting. As with Amazon, I see CDs listed for sale with no evidence that any have sold.

When I sold on eBay. I would do 3-7 day auctions because I needed the money asap. If you list at Discogs, Amazon or eBay-Buy It Now, it could be months before an item sells. Is that right?