[REMOVE ADS]

Thirstory: Diana ross is the boss

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/mu...september-1976

Who else had this copy of Interview? “In his biography Holy Terror: Andy Warhol Up Close, former Intervieweditor Bob Colacello recalls that the September 1976 issue broke all sales records in the magazine’s history.”

First time seeing this article. Thanks for posting.

Thank you. Didn't know that issue broke all sales records. I'm sure Diana had a lot to do with it!

I have my copy.

In his diary [[21 September 1978), Andy Warhol writes about seeing Diana Ross perform in Los Angeles and going back stage afterwards: "She told me she got the whole idea for her show from the Interview photo of guys carrying her down a staircase. Diana didn't say she like her cover and I just know it's because it made her look too black." Obviously, that's Warhol's interpretation [[she never said that she didn't like the cover, let alone why; he never asked her), which ties into a more general -- and rather unfair and racist, I would say -- trope at that time [[the piece by Jamaica Kincaid in the Village Voice; the comments of Ryan O'Neal about why Ross didn't want to do the bodyguard; etc.) which later was repeated [[and reinforced) by Randy Taraborrelli in Call Her Miss Ross.

Yes, the cover pic is not flattering.

I bought a copy. I like the pic - it's artsy and eye-catching.

I seem to recall that it was an oversized publication so it really stood out on the newsstand. I wonder what decades of storage in my attic have done to it since it was newspaper type paper rather than a glossy magazine style. [[I might be mistaken, but too hot to go up to the attic to check!)