[REMOVE ADS]

Observations on Curtis Stigers

This thread is inspired by the Phyllis Hyman one and specifically about the influence that Clive Davis had on his Arista artists.

When Curtis debuted on Arista in the early 90s, his first album was classic and I thought he would be around forever. Well, he has been and in fact he just released a new CD a month or two ago.

But after that first Arista release, he changed directions completely.....going from a pop balladeer to more of an acoustic jazz singer. I keep buying his CDs hoping that he will have at least one track here and there that reminds me of that first CD but he has never returned to that style.

So my question is this.........did he and Clive perhaps butt heads over his musical direction which led to him leaving Arista after only an album or two? Was jazz really his own preference and Clive was the one that pictured him as the next Barry Manilow?

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    This thread is inspired by the Phyllis Hyman one and specifically about the influence that Clive Davis had on his Arista artists.

When Curtis debuted on Arista in the early 90s, his first album was classic and I thought he would be around forever. Well, he has been and in fact he just released a new CD a month or two ago.

But after that first Arista release, he changed directions completely.....going from a pop balladeer to more of an acoustic jazz singer. I keep buying his CDs hoping that he will have at least one track here and there that reminds me of that first CD but he has never returned to that style.

So my question is this.........did he and Clive perhaps butt heads over his musical direction which led to him leaving Arista after only an album or two? Was jazz really his own preference and Clive was the one that pictured him as the next Barry Manilow?

Any thoughts?
    I will say this: Check out Clive's book, The Soundtrack of My Life. A true must read. He shares ALL his warts, missteps, and failings.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

Any thoughts?
    I can only say I saw Curtis in July 2002 when he opened for Barry Manilow. Curtis was great, but over the years my interest in his music waned a bit. He signed the CD and was very nice and took his time with his fans. I am in no way indicating that he isn't a talented artist. I will revisit his music this weekend.

As a side note, it was close to 100 degrees that day and Manilow was wearing a sport coat and nicely complaining abt the heat. The fans were yelling at him that is was ok to take off the jacket!