[REMOVE ADS]

15 years ago today...

One of the darkest days in music history occurred when we lost Luther Vandross. Even with his deteriorated state, I still clinged to the thought he’d make a full recovery. I’d always said that if I could have one legend back, it would be a coin flip between him and MJ.

Wow, the way time flies. As much as Luther was known for his ballads [[and I LOVED the sentiment of Dance With My Father) I thought he was sensational with his dance grooves. I could listen all day to She Won't Talk to Me.

I did not hear much about the cause of death at the time, and I will understand if no one wants to bring it up, but I assumed it was related to his fluctuating weight.

He’d had a massive stroke two years prior, which ended his career. He was mentally intact and was able to relish the accolades [[including the Song of the Year Grammy) for the aforementioned “Dance With My Father” album and single. Sadly, he suffered a fatal heart attack while still recovering from the stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    One of the darkest days in music history occurred when we lost Luther Vandross. Even with his deteriorated state, I still clinged to the thought he’d make a full recovery. I’d always said that if I could have one legend back, it would be a coin flip between him and MJ.
    I was in Montreal when my brother called to tell me that both Luther and Renaldo Obie Benson of the Four Tops passed on the same day. I went to a newsstand a picked up a paper and there the stories were. RIP Luther.

Supposedly, Luther's mom said Dance was his best song. Further, his unfortunate interview on Oprah's show. It was ill advised and heartbreaking to watch. He was visibly uncomfortable with her questions.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Supposedly, Luther's mom said Dance was his best song. Further, his unfortunate interview on Oprah's show. It was ill advised and heartbreaking to watch. He was visibly uncomfortable with her questions.
    I could not even listen to Dance With My Father after my father passed in 2007. I turn it off immediately when it came on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    That’s Oprah for ya!

I always thought he had the best voice of any of his contemporaries. I wasn't always sure of some of the production. Back in 85, I was listening to Alexander O'Neal and thinking God if Luther had a go at this. A broken heart can mend? What's missing? If you were here tonight? I think he'd have owned any of them? Fantastic performer and I still haven't heard a better voice imo