[REMOVE ADS]

Martha and the vandellas Guardian article

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...motown-protest

I hope friends on the US will be able to open this link. A fresh piece about Dancing in the Street in the light of the current BLM protests. Very well-written, and some new perspectives from Martha and Mickey S.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post

I hope friends on the US will be able to open this link. A fresh piece about Dancing in the Street in the light of the current BLM protests. Very well-written, and some new perspectives from Martha and Mickey S.
    Great artice with great memories And great photos from the First Lady of Motown Records and Mr Stevenson, Thank you dear Sharpmoves. A lively start to the day.

Fondly.

Roberta

Thanks for posting. I'm in the US and can read it. Nice article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post

Thanks for sharing Sharpmoves! It's a great article; good to hear from both Martha & Mickey about the Classic "Dancing In The Street" and it's ongoing relevance over 50 years after the song rode the charts [[also, no problems reading it here in USA).

Marvin, Mickey and Ivy had no idea what impact this song would lead when they wrote it.

I think Ivy Hunter needs to be given more credit here.

A UK TV documentary in the 1980s featured an interview with Martha, who was insistent that " Ivy Hunter wrote that song".

A friend of mine , who met Ivy Hunter, brought me back a book , autographed by Ivy....with the note " Keep Dancing in the Street" added.
    I think he knows what went on here.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post

A UK TV documentary in the 1980s featured an interview with Martha, who was insistent that " Ivy Hunter wrote that song".

A friend of mine , who met Ivy Hunter, brought me back a book , autographed by Ivy....with the note " Keep Dancing in the Street" added.
    Ivy's been quiet for years about his songwriting contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post

A good point snakepit.

In fact I believe it was actually R.Dean Taylor who said that. As I recall, it was the Channel 4 programme 'The Motown Story'.

Cheers

Paul

Paul
    I believe it was on that C4 programme. I thought it was Martha but stand corrected.
    The comment regarding Ivy made an impression though.
    Thanks

Great article, indeed! Bookends Dr. Reeves book on the origins of the song.

Martha never said anything about Ivy. She only credits Marvin & Mickey. I think Ivy is too humble to accept bigger credit than some think he deserves for this. That's why teamwork is used over "who contributed the most".