[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Love the "I Refuse To Be Lonely" album! I don't listen to it these days as often as I used to, as it does have a heavy sad feeling to it. All of the tracks are great but two others that standout to me, that you haven't mentioned are "I'm Calling You" [[love that long note she holds in this song) and "This Too Shall Pass".
    I shared the link to “This Too Shall Pass” earlier in this thread but no one would play it. It is my favorite Phyllis Hyman track. Happy to hear that you love it too, Carlo.

Some of Phyllis's best work was as a guest vocalist. She shines on this track with another dearly departed legend:

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    I shared the link to “This Too Shall Pass” earlier in this thread but no one would play it. It is my favorite Phyllis Hyman track. Happy to hear that you love it too, Carlo.
    Ah yes you did, Jim...and I recall seeing your post some time ago. My apologies. Glad you also love this track. I have a hard time picking a top favourite song from this album, but this song might be it for me.

Ah yes you did, Jim...and I recall seeing your post some time ago. My apologies. Glad you also love this track. I have a hard time picking a top favourite song from this album, but this song might be it for me.
    Calo did you that Phyllis Hyman and Mary Wilson were suppose sing on a soundtrack to a Richard Roundtree movie in 1983?

My favorite track from "I Refuse to Be Lonely" [[written by Dave "Jam" Hall, of "Reminisce", "Love No Limit" and "Dreamlover" fame):

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    My favorite track from "I Refuse to Be Lonely" [[written by Dave "Jam" Hall, of "Reminisce", "Love No Limit" and "Dreamlover" fame):

Not to derail things, but what did you think of Jennifer Holliday's cover of this?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not to derail things, but what did you think of Jennifer Holliday's cover of this?
    I had no idea she did a cover!

Now hearing it, it's okay, but it's no Phyllis lol

I will be remembering Phyllis today by playing her music. I recommend for everyone to check out her Unsung doc, as well as Jason A. Michael's book, "Strength of a Woman: The Phyllis Hyman Story".
    I've had this book on my must read list forever now. Maybe I'll get to it before the year is out.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Phyllis singing "Gonna Make Changes" at the MLK Celebration, 1984 [[Patti LaBelle was also on there doing "Over the Rainbow" in her usual flair). She actually wrote this song and was obviously inspired by her own pro-black upbringing in Pittsburgh [[think she joined at a Black Panthers-like group or was at least inspired by them).

This was actually right before she was dropped from Arista.
    "Gonna Make Changes" is one of my absolute favs of Phyllis. I've never seen this performance. I saw one where she did this song on a telethon I believe. Anyway, loved this performance. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    This discussion prompted me to pull out my "I Refuse To Be Lonely" CD and listen to it. I bought it upon its release but never really listened to it. I was biased because it was released posthumously and for some reason I assumed it was cobbled together from earlier outtakes.

However, listening to it over this past week it is surprisingly solid. In particular, I like "It's Not About You [[It's About Me)." I think that could have received airplay and been a top 10 R&B hit if she had lived to promote the CD. It was contemporary [[then) and not as jarring as "Don't Wanna Change The World." I don't hear anything that had obvious crossover potential. Otherwise, there are quite a few enjoyable tracks that would have appealed to her built-in audience -- including "Waiting For The Last Tear", "Give Me One Good Reason" and "I'm Truly Yours." Even so, I don't hear much discussion about this CD from her fans.

Am I the only one who previously overlooked this gem?
    I'm not particularly fond of it, but I think "solid" is an apt description. My favorite cut on the album is "Give Me One Good Reason".

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Some of Phyllis's best work was as a guest vocalist. She shines on this track with another dearly departed legend:

Agreed. She was going in toward the end.

Here's a fav of mine.

And another...

And yet another...

And one more...This was my mother's jam.

This thread was [[mostly) a pleasure. So glad to see Phyllis getting love.

Yeah, midnight, I was disappointed in Jennifer's take as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Agreed. She was going in toward the end.
    Yep, your girl was in rare form on this track! I also love how the bassist goes to town during the instrumental section. Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Actually I thought it had been discussed quite thoroughly over the years and was a very well-respected album. I would put up there with her best which is why the circumstances made it all that much more tragic. The title track and Give Me One Good Reason to Stay were classic Phyllis.
    Perhaps it has and I missed it. I think there could be other good stuff that I am missing. There is obviously greater depth to her catalog than the most popular or frequently played tracks. So for the members who've contributed to this thread, I'd appreciate if you could provide a list of your 10 favorite Phyllis Hyman tracks. The lesser known the better.

Ranran:

Thanks for your many contributions today. And Guy, I don't have time right this minute but I will try to come up with ten Phyllis faves sometime. In the meantime, maybe some other folks will chime in with theirs.

Off the top of my head.........in no particular order.......Give Me One Good Reason to Stay, Whatever Happened to Our Love, I Refuse to be Lonely, Somewhere in My Lifetime, Living All Alone, Just Another Face in the Crowd, You Sure Look Good to Me, Be Careful How You Treat My Love, Old Friend, and Loving You, Losing You.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Perhaps it has and I missed it. I think there could be other good stuff that I am missing. There is obviously greater depth to her catalog than the most popular or frequently played tracks. So for the members who've contributed to this thread, I'd appreciate if you could provide a list of your 10 favorite Phyllis Hyman tracks. The lesser known the better.
    Hard to come up with just 10, but I'll base my list on which songs probably get the most frequent play by me. In no particular order:

Gonna Make Changes
    Loving You
    We Should Be Lovers
    As You Are
    You Know How to Love Me
    Somewhere In My Lifetime
    Old Friend
    Living All Alone
    Sleep On It
    Was Yesterday Such A Long Time Ago

I will be remembering Phyllis today by playing her music. I recommend for everyone to check out her Unsung doc, as well as Jason A. Michael's book, "Strength of a Woman: The Phyllis Hyman Story".
    Here's a great , lengthy but therefore chock-full, interview with Jason Michael: