[REMOVE ADS]

Solomon Burke - The King Of Rock 'N' Soul: The Atlantic Recordings 1962-1968

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...1962-1968-3cd/

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

This 3-CD SoulMusic Records set celebrates the recordings that Solomon Burke made for the legendary Atlantic Records label between 1960 and 1968. Solomon is generally acknowledged as one of the greatest soul singers to emerge during the genre’s golden days. He signed to Atlantic before ‘soul music’ became a bona fide sub-genre of African-American music and it was Solomon who helped define this new movement and he was, in fact, one of the first artists to use ‘soul’ to describe his music. He would eventually be known the world over as ‘The King of Rock and Soul’.

His Atlantic recordings are presented in chronological order of recording across the three discs and each session is identified by date, location and all the musicians present are identified [[where known). This celebratory definitive collection includes the content of all six of the LPs released during Solomon’s tenure with Atlantic plus all non-album tracks for a total of 78 soulful cuts.

Disc One presents Solomon’s earliest recordings beginning with three titles recorded for the Singular record label which were purchased by Atlantic along with his contract in 1959. Moving on to his first Atlantic sessions between 1960 and 1962 it contains his first hits, ‘Just Out of Reach’, ‘Cry to Me’, ‘Down in The Valley’, ‘I Really Don’t Want to Know’ and ‘If You Need Me’ [[written by Wilson Pickett). Also featured for the first time on CD anywhere, the original 45 mix of ‘I’m Hanging Up My Heart for You’. It is significant that Solomon enjoyed hits with revivals of country-and-western songs before other artists – such as Ray Charles and Esther Phillips – followed suit. These sessions were all produced by Atlantic’s Jerry Wexler and the emerging talent that was songwriter & hitmaker Bert Berns.

Disc Two continues with nine sessions over 26 tracks recorded between 1963 and 1966. This was Solomon’s prime hitmaking era featuring as it does his only No 1 R&B chart hit, ‘Got to Get You Off My Mind’, ‘You’re Good To Me’, ‘The Price’ and probably his most famous song ‘Everybody Needs Somebody to Love’, now perhaps more associated with The Blues Brothers. This disc also features two more tracks making their worldwide CD debut; the original 45 mix of ‘Goodbye Baby [[Baby Goodbye)’ and the original 45 mix of ‘Beautiful Brown Eyes’. The era covered by this disc also sees the arrival of some very important backing vocalists like Cissy Houston and Dee Dee Warwick.

Disc Three takes us from 1966 to 1968 after which he would leave Atlantic Records. For the first time Atlantic had Solomon record outside of New York when he cuts his first sessions for producer Chips Moman at the American Studios in Memphis. Here he is able to work with such legendary session musicians and songwriters as Bobby Womack, Reggie Young, Dan Penn, Spooner Oldham and many others. By now most of the backing vocals on Solomon’s sessions are performed by The Sweet Inspirations. This disc also features for the first time on the same CD both sides of the 45 issued as The Soul Clan which featured Solomon singing with Wilson Pickett, Don Covay, Joe Tex and Arthur Conley on the hit ‘Soul Meeting’ and ‘That’s How It Feels’, both produced by Covay. Other hits on Disc 3 include ‘Keep Looking’, ‘Take Me [[Just As I Am)’, ‘Keep A Light in The Window’ and ‘I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free’.

With artwork by Roger Williams and mastering by Simon Murphy, the box set also features detailed notes by veteran UK writer Bob Fisher who also produced the box for reissue with SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan.

TRACKLIST:

Tracklist
    [CD1: If You Need Me]
    1. This Little Ring
    2. Be Bop Grandma
    3. It’s All Right
    4. Keep The Magic Working
    5. Just Out Of Reach [[Of My Two Empty Arms)
    6. How Many Times
    7. A Tear Fell
    8. Cry To Me
    9. I Almost Lost My Mind
    10. Down In The Valley
    11. Looking For My Baby
    12. I’m Hanging Up My Heart For You [[Stereo Alternate Take)
    13. I’m Hanging Up My Heart For You
    14. Baby [[I Wanna Be Loved)
    15. Gotta Travel On
    16. I Really Don’t Want To Know
    17. Tonight, My Heart She Is Crying
    18. Home In Your Heart
    19. You Can Make It If You Try
    20. Stupidity
    21. Send Me Some Loving
    22. Words
    23. I Said I Was Sorry
    24. Can’t Nobody Love You
    25. If You Need Me
    26. Hard Ain’t It Hard
    27. You Can’t Love ‘Em All

[CD2: Got To Get You Off My Mind]
    1. Won’t You Give Him [[One More Chance)
    2. Beautiful Brown Eyes
    3. Beautiful Brown Eyes [[Stereo Alternate Take)
    4. You’re Good To Me
    5. He’ll Have To Go
    6. Goodbye Baby [[Baby Goodbye)
    7. Goodbye Baby [[Baby Goodbye) [[Stereo Alternate Take)
    8. Someone To Love Me
    9. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    10. Yes, I Do
    11. The Price
    12. Tonight’s The Night
    13. Got To Get You Off My Mind
    14. Peepin’
    15. Little Girl That Loves Me
    16. Dance, Dance, Dance
    17. Maggie’s Farm
    18. Only Love [[Can Save Me Now)
    19. Someone Is Watching
    20. I Don’t Want You No More
    21. [[No, No, No) I Can’t Stop Loving You Now
    22. Baby Come On Home
    23. I Feel A Sin Coming On
    24. Lawdy Miss Clawdy
    25. Mountain Of Pride
    26. Suddenly

[CD3: Meet Me In Church]
    1. When She Touches Me [[Nothing Else Matters)
    2. Keep Looking
    3. Woman How Do You Make Me Love You Like I Do
    4. Time Is A Thief
    5. Presents For Christmas
    6. Keep A Light In The Window [[Till I Come Home)
    7. Take Me [[Just As I Am)
    8. I Stayed Away Too Long
    9. Need Your Love So Bad
    10. It’s Just A Matter Of Time
    11. Detroit City
    12. Party People
    13. It’s Been A Change
    14. Soul Meeting – The Soul Clan
    15. That’s How It Feels – The Soul Clan
    16. By The Time I Get To Phoenix
    17. I Wish I Knew [[How It Would Feel To Be Free)
    18. Shame On Me
    19. Save It
    20. Meet Me In Church
    21. Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye
    22. Why, Why, Why
    23. Get Out Of My Life Woman
    24. What’d I Say

Solomon Burke is one of my all-time favorite singers. He was larger than life in many ways.

Wonderful News! Thanks for sharing Smallworld!

I like Cherry Red's enthusiasm for classic soul music. Keep up the good work!!!

Any reviews of this collection?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Any reviews of this collection?
    There are several on Amazon UK. I treated myself to this collection but i have not yet listened to it due to my obsession with Christmas music at this time of year.

Should be a great collection. Burke continued to make great lps right up to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    There are several on Amazon UK. I treated myself to this collection but i have not yet listened to it due to my obsession with Christmas music at this time of year.
    An Informal Poll: For how long after Christmas day do you listen to Christmas music? For me, it's [[informally) through New Year's Day [[though in diminishing listening times), except for some of the classical pieces which were composed to recognize the days through Epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    An Informal Poll: For how long after Christmas day do you listen to Christmas music? For me, it's [[informally) through New Year's Day [[though in diminishing listening times), except for some of the classical pieces which were composed to recognize the days through Epiphany.
    I usually dispense with the Christmas music around the 27th, but it is a lengthy season because i usually start the season around the 15th of November.
    That is just the pop stuff. I occasionally continue with the classical and opera stuff until New Years Day.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I usually stop after Xmas day, unless I'm having a marathon of one of my faves and they happen to have a Xmas album.
    Last edited by reese; 12-25-2020 at 01:52 PM.

I am glad to say I have all of these songs

edafan