[REMOVE ADS]

Surrender diana ross

SUPERTONIC
    Always loved this song and was surprised it didn't get further on the charts during the original release. A few adlibs on this supertonic, but I think its my favorite on this set. I seem to remember Luther Vandross liked this song as well.

That's a great remix. I didn't really pay attention to this song until the Expanded Edition when the alternative version was included. The alternative version made me fall in love with this song and should have been the released version. I think the song didn't perform better because of promotion. The song was originally released in late July 1971, the month before she was due to give birth to her first child. I wonder what Berry Gordy's reasoning behind that release schedule.

"Surrender" is the best remix on Supertonic...and that is faint praise.

i agree that this song was a lost hit. it's an amazingly powerful performance and equally powerful track. not really sure why it faltered on the charts. It was released in July of 71.
    entered the charts mid-August and then was off the charts by mid-Sept. maybe:

1. she had had 4 songs in a row that were this "mega soul" sound and perhaps it was just time to move one - Mountain, Remember Me, Reach out and Surrender
    2. lack of tv promotion
    3. gave birth to rhonda in August
    4. album sales - the Surrender album was released at the same time so maybe people just figured they'd buy the lp rather than the single

I think on Diana's tv special in April....in stead of covers...she should of song all her own stuff.including Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree that this song was a lost hit. it's an amazingly powerful performance and equally powerful track. not really sure why it faltered on the charts. It was released in July of 71.

1. she had had 4 songs in a row that were this "mega soul" sound and perhaps it was just time to move one - Mountain, Remember Me, Reach out and Surrender
    2. lack of tv promotion
    4. album sales - the Surrender album was released at the same time so maybe people just figured they'd buy the lp rather than the single
    Also, a lot of Diana and Berry's focus was on LADY SINGS THE BLUES.

The background vocals are heated with Val, Nick, Ray and Yolanda at times. Motown or Berry had a great combination. I remember when I first heard the piano in this song I was like ..wait a minute !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Also, a lot of Diana and Berry's focus was on LADY SINGS THE BLUES.
    correct - most of the Surrender content was recorded in late 70. so for much of 71, she was pregnant and starting work on the movie. It's as if this music was stockpiled and then used while she would be occupied.

still it's an excellent album and perfect follow up to Diana Ross 70. while i like the EIE set, it's just lacking when compared to these A&S packages. and i think the rather chaotic release schedule negatively impacted things.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think on Diana's tv special in April....in stead of covers...she should of song all her own stuff.including Surrender
    agreed. but i guess the whole point was to show her versatility and prepare her [[and audiences and critics) for her move into movies.

It's too bad that they couldn't quickly add in a tape of her doing Reach Out I'll Be There, which was her current single. They could have quickly assembled a sound stage to look similar to the Diana! set and just skip a live audience. canned applause would work. That way they could promote her latest recording

2. lack of tv promotion
    Good album. Maybe not radio friendly? In Dec 71 It was in the $.99 -$1.99 cutout bin.

agreed. but i guess the whole point was to show her versatility and prepare her [[and audiences and critics) for her move into movies.

It's too bad that they couldn't quickly add in a tape of her doing Reach Out I'll Be There, which was her current single. They could have quickly assembled a sound stage to look similar to the Diana! set and just skip a live audience. canned applause would work. That way they could promote her latest recording
    It was sort of the same with TCB. It was filmed in August 1968 but didn't air until December. So they missed out on recordings that became popular after its filming. For that one, I thought it would have been nice if they had gone back and replaced the contemporary pop medley with a production number featuring LOVE CHILD, CLOUD NINE, and I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME.

From what I've read, DIANA! was filmed in January 1971 around the time of her marriage. But it didn't air until April, by which time REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE had been released but not performed on the special, although CLOSE TO YOU [[from the special) was on its flipside. Confusing, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Good album. Maybe not radio friendly? In Dec 71 It was in the $.99 -$1.99 cutout bin.
    i think there are some tunes that could have worked well - I Can't Give Back the love, REmember me, reach out. I love the title track but it's quite an aggressive vocal and song. maybe a bit too much so. And some of the other tracks are great album tracks and fit together beautifully. but yeah, by themselves maybe not so much.

while it's not a "concept" album like What's Going On or Funny Girl, it's wonderfully cohesive. and as such, some of the tracks are best when heard within that context. And some work both alone and as part of the set

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was sort of the same with TCB. It was filmed in August 1968 but didn't air until December. So they missed out on recordings that became popular after its filming. For that one, I thought it would have been nice if they had gone back and replaced the contemporary pop medley with a production number featuring LOVE CHILD, CLOUD NINE, and I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME.

From what I've read, DIANA! was filmed in January 1971 around the time of her marriage. But it didn't air until April, by which time REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE had been released but not performed on the special, although CLOSE TO YOU [[from the special) was on its flipside. Confusing, huh?
    some of the TCB scenes were clearly NOT done with the studio audience. like the current pop tunes medley in the awful pink and orange and red outfits lol. That was lipsynced and filmed separately. Same with the Funny Girl segment and much of Somewhere.

Somewhere is kind of interesting because they use both studio audience and none segments. I believe only the ending when the camera pulls back is from the audience filming. the rest is just diana on the pedestal stage lip syncing.

So yes, they could have certainly found ways to incorporate Cloud Nine and Love Child. but those two tunes might be a bit too controversial. they definitely should have done the duet!

I'm not a fan of these remixes, but this one is okay.