[REMOVE ADS]

The Best Black Musical Groups in History

Lists of Best or Worst usually are just the writer's opinion and when we read them and disagree, we kind of find them useless.

But I just read this list and I like and have music by everyone on the list [[except TLC), so I find this list kind of nice and I thought that I would share it here

http://www.mandatory.com/culture/154...s-in-history#1

They got it right with the Four Tops and all of the Motown acts, but hard to think that The Miracles and Drifters would not be in the top 10.
    I would also make a case for the Dells, Stylistics , Vandellas, and perhaps the Spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    They got it right with the Four Tops and all of the Motown acts, but hard to think that The Miracles and Drifters would not be in the top 10.
    I would also make a case for the Dells, Stylistics , Vandellas, and perhaps the Spinners.
    And The Isleys, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    This was the first list that I saw where I liked just about every group. But if I were to compile a list of my all time favorite black groups, it would not be complete without the Dells, Stylistics, Spinners, Harold Melvin & Bluenotes, Delfonics and Platters.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Lists of Best or Worst usually are just the writer's opinion and when we read them and disagree, we kind of find them useless.

But I just read this list and I like and have music by everyone on the list [[except TLC), so I find this list kind of nice and I thought that I would share it here

http://www.mandatory.com/culture/154...s-in-history#1
    I would replace "usually " with "always". Like the old cliche, opinion's are like butt holes,
    everybody's got one... These Best of , Worst of things do have at least one use, however.
    They foster argument, which even in disagreement is communication. I have every act
    on that list [[except Boys To Men) but I wouldn't consider it being nowhere near complete
    or clearly definitive...I don't care much for the JT era of Kool and the Gang regardless of
    their hits. And why not The Dells? Bob Marley and the Wailers? The Miles Davis Quintet? Cameo?...

I can't argue this list. It wouldn't necessarily be mine, but I consider it a pretty good list. For my personal tastes I would remove the Shirelles, Sly, Boyz, and TLC and have a difficult time choosing amongst my other favs to replace them with.

Drifters, Three Degrees, Martha and the Vandellas, New Edition, Jodeci, SWV, Ace Spectrum, Love Unlimited, Black Ivory, Delfonics, Stylistics, Spinners, Chi Lites, Moments, Emotions, Force MDs, Ready For the World, First Choice, Gladys and the Pips, Honey Cone, Harold Melvin and Blue Notes, Chantels, Dells, Five Keys, Five Satins, Soul Stirrers, Sensational Nightengales, Caravans, Davis Sisters, Mighty Clouds Of Joy...I could be here all day people!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'd find it very difficult to narrow down to a Top 30, never mind only 10. But, starting from 1, this is how I'd rank them:
    1) Temptations
    2) Flamingos
    3) Miracles
    4) Drifters
    5) Impressions
    6) Five Keys
    7) Platters
    8) Four Tops
    9) Velvelettes
    10) Spinners

This is my top ten...the drifters-the flamingos-the temptations-the coasters-the marvelettes-the impressions-the shirelles-the four tops-the o'jays-the miracles.

I'd have Earth, Wind and Fire on my list.

10. Mills Brothers
    9. The Platters
    8. The Staple Singers
    7. Sly & The Family Stone
    6. Parliament
    5. Earth, Wind, And Fire
    4. The Impressions
    3. Four Tops
    2. The Supremes
    1. The Temptations
    Last edited by Ngroove; 06-23-2020 at 01:07 AM.

1. Diana Ross & the Supremes
    2. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    3. The Chantels
    4. Gladys Knight and the Pips
    5. Four Tops
    6. Temptations
    7. Drifters
    8. Martha and the Vandellas
    9. Delfonics
    10. The Intruders
    This list was very hard.

1. Supremes
    2. Temptations
    3. Four Tops
    4. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    5. Drifters
    6. Shirelles
    7. Spinners
    8. Jackson 5/Jacksons
    9. Pointer Sisters
    10. Gladys Knight & the Pips
    Yes, this list was hard.

The Temptations and the Isley Brothers were the greatest musical groups, black or white, PERIODT.

Too subjective for me to really comment on. Of course, the Temps should be on the list. Putting Boyz 2 Men and TLC on the list over groups like the Spinners and Whispers [[or even New Edition, for that matter) was borderline disrespectful. And I like Boyz 2 Men and TLC. It would take me days and a handful of coin flips before I could write a list that I was comfortable with and the day after I compiled it, I'd still ball it up and have to start over.

For today:The Dells, Spinners, Temptations, Isleys,Supremes, Gladys and Pips, Labelle[[Patti and Bluebelles),4 Tops,Shirelles, Earth Wind and Fire