[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Thats what happens when you have group. Always ends up messy. Especially when you have a few of it's members with their own agenda or view of directions they should go. I'm a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac but the drama Stevie Nicks made during her tenure and even now OMG!!! How she ousted Lindsey, even the other members were shocked by it. Anyway.....think Four Tops was the only group at Motown that didn't have any internal problem amongst it's members. If I'm wrong correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    renember it was program directors that had the first vote and they’re open to anything they think people will not change the channel on. That’s their only criteria. Babs and Dionne were both not charting then much either, so I disagree. The song, as produced is too simple. List to First Time Ever or Killing Me Softly - those are brilliant productions. There was never any song on top 40 pop or R&B that was as plain as IGIMTM.
    But when the public heard "Guess", they would not have been surprised if it were being sung by either of those two ladies. Of course the song being a hit with either is debatable, but that type of music was their "lane". You can add Roberta Flack to that list of singers who may have allowed the song to be better received. I might opine that even Diana Ross could've gotten away with releasing it as single.

I don't hear "plain" when I listen to "Guess". IMO it has more going on than the aforementioned "Killing Me Softly". Which brings me to ask this: might Mary's lead have been a better fit for this song? Her mellow style seems well suited to this type of balladry. Might the public have received it better than it did Jean's?

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Considering that the Carpenters, Neil Diamond, Cat Stevens and a slew of others were having major acoustic big hits at the time, and the last 2 RnB funk singles failed, IGIMTM was a good bet for a AOR airplay single....I maintain it is one of Jean's most committed performances.....BAD WEATHER was too jazzy for AM Pop radio...to me the horns sounded off pitch...not one person I played it for then or since thought it was a good record.
    Funk? The Supremes never did funk.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Reading on the post-Diana Supremes saga may be messier than when the original trio were together... :/
    I doubt that. I think the major factors that make the two situations different is age, influence and familiarity. In the original trio you had young ladies who really still had milk on their breath trying to make life and relationships work in a world they were unprepared to deal with. Factor in Berry meddling, and the nature of relationships when the people involved had known each other as long and been as close as the original trio were...when you mix anger, disappointment, resentment with love, shit can explode.

JMC/JML had a different dynamic. They were all very grown women, which meant they often dealt with their feelings a bit different than the young Supremes did. They also didn't have the years of affection and bond that the original ladies did. Sure, Mary and Cindy eventually became like family to one another, but it appears that for Mary, Jean and Lynda and Cindy together, this was a working relationship and nothing more. I suspect that's why there aren't stories floating around of volatile arguments before or after shows, during interviews or meet and greets, the way there are with the original trio. Everything was business.

I think Driving Wheel, Come Into My Life, Dream Machine and Don't Wann be Tied Down are funk.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Thats what happens when you have group. Always ends up messy. Especially when you have a few of it's members with their own agenda or view of directions they should go. I'm a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac but the drama Stevie Nicks made during her tenure and even now OMG!!! How she ousted Lindsey, even the other members were shocked by it. Anyway.....think Four Tops was the only group at Motown that didn't have any internal problem amongst it's members. If I'm wrong correct me.
    I don't believe that. It's a popular myth, but when people come together they always have a choice: make it work or don't. Some groups do, some don't. Regarding Motown, I would add to the list of groups lacking drama: Gladys and the Pips, Velvelettes, the Miracles, the Contours [[the member lawsuits 50 years later not withstanding). All groups have drama and troubles of course, you can't run away from what happens when any group of people come together musically or otherwise, but clearly certain dramas lead to a group's end.

I know we always get two sides of a story with groups. So we'll never know 100%. Lindsay said it was Stevie Nicks who gave an ultimatum and she said it was because something else that happened on stage and something concerning their upcoming tour in 2018. And I was soooo happy when they got together again in 2014.

Love the Velvelettes and that they still perform together. I think with the Four tops is that they already worked together for years before hitting fame in the 60's. It is important to know where you stand in a group and be able to have your saying. If it works in another story :P. Sorry going to topic again.