[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Jean, after some time went by, started getting defensive in interviews. At one point she said something to the effect of "My joining the group did not diminish its status--maybe in some people's minds it did." I am paraphrasing but that is close to what she said. The shadow of the prior Supremes was long and cold. Idiot journalists couldn't think of anything original to write about these new Supremes so they fell back on comparing the old group to the new--lazy journalism but unsurprising. I would imagine that Jean felt no matter how well she did, it would never be good enough. And it wasn't--not because she didn't have the talent, but because she was plugged into a fading role. The music business changed completely in just a few years--by 1970 it was a new ball game. People didn't want all that Vegas bullsmit. Even the Jacksons complained in 1974 that Vegas was a "glittering graveyard" and didn't want to play there. Diana Ross understood this, and although she still played there, she completely revamped her show to be of the moment. It worked. The Supremes did not evolve until Scherrie came on board but it was too late.

i'd say the supremes DIDN'T evolve with Scherrie but regressed. that LA show that was posted here recently shows how much they had not evolved. still very Vegas. Mary even mentions that was a primary complaint when MSC took the act to England in late 75.

not sure who was blocking the idea of evolving the group and clutching onto an old, out dated image. I'm suspecting it was Mary but just my opinion. she was in the group throughout the 70s and by 73, was running the group. If she had wanted a totally new approach, look and sound, then it would have happened.

as for Jean, she too wanted to ditch the old look and approach and do new things. I believe she felt that as the lead singer [[and a sensational singer), she should have a pretty big say in what they did. mary felt that since she'd been around the longest, she got to say what they did. and apparently they couldn't really get aligned

It’s more of management than Mary alone. Plus everyone involved had to agree on what they’re presenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'd say the supremes DIDN'T evolve with Scherrie but regressed. that LA show that was posted here recently shows how much they had not evolved. still very Vegas. Mary even mentions that was a primary complaint when MSC took the act to England in late 75.

not sure who was blocking the idea of evolving the group and clutching onto an old, out dated image. I'm suspecting it was Mary but just my opinion. she was in the group throughout the 70s and by 73, was running the group. If she had wanted a totally new approach, look and sound, then it would have happened.

as for Jean, she too wanted to ditch the old look and approach and do new things. I believe she felt that as the lead singer [[and a sensational singer), she should have a pretty big say in what they did. mary felt that since she'd been around the longest, she got to say what they did. and apparently they couldn't really get aligned

Sup_fan--I disagree completely. I was a kid when Scherrie came on the scene and frankly from 1975 on I thought the group ditched their old image [[well, kind of) and took on a more up-to-date image and sound. Yeah they still did some Vegassy stuff in concert [[I guess--I was too young to ever see them) but to a kid like me, they were of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Sup_fan--I disagree completely. I was a kid when Scherrie came on the scene and frankly from 1975 on I thought the group ditched their old image [[well, kind of) and took on a more up-to-date image and sound. Yeah they still did some Vegassy stuff in concert [[I guess--I was too young to ever see them) but to a kid like me, they were of the moment.
    it's always fun comparing on here! and see, i feel almost the opposite.

Their stage shows continued to rely on the Dream sequence, the opening of "Everyone Gets to go to the moon" or tonight/we've only just begun.

I thought the new outfits were pretty but so not appropriate for disco. like the Tonight Show performance of He's My Man. who the heck can do those complex disco dance steps wearing a giant chiffon ball gown?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It’s more of management than Mary alone. Plus everyone involved had to agree on what they’re presenting.
    mary was the management. she [[and pedro) were running Supremes Inc. Motown certainly wasn't involved in the look and sound of their live performances. And we asked Susaye years ago on here if she and Scherrie were involved in selecting gowns, song choices, etc. She said they really weren't.

Now i don't know if that means they NEVER had any involvement. when susaye started, she sang He Aint Heavy, pretty much the same arrangement jean used when in the group. now maybe she had the option of picking out of the Supremes' musical songbook. she was also brought in with the idea of maybe writing and/or producing for the group. didn't happen

It was more like Pedro was management but they weren’t pre 75 when these problems started to pop up. Jeans arrangement is slower and more of a solo effort as opposed to Susaye’s version which is a little faster and more of a group effort.
    mary was the management. she [[and pedro) were running Supremes Inc. Motown certainly wasn't involved in the look and sound of their live performances. And we asked Susaye years ago on here if she and Scherrie were involved in selecting gowns, song choices, etc. She said they really weren't.

Now i don't know if that means they NEVER had any involvement. when susaye started, she sang He Aint Heavy, pretty much the same arrangement jean used when in the group. now maybe she had the option of picking out of the Supremes' musical songbook. she was also brought in with the idea of maybe writing and/or producing for the group. didn't happen

I think Mary was a big part of the issue. I've said before, and it bears repeating, that Mary did not have a risk personality. If you go over everything that has been written and said by the original Supremes and those who knew them at the time, going back to the very beginning, Florence and Diana took charge of everything. Every time someone mentions anything to do with a decision, no one, including Mary, ever names her as a decision maker, outside of something being put to a vote. She followed Flo and Diana into every move of the group. So in my mind, once Mary is the last original standing, I imagine that she held dear the mantra of "play it safe", because she really don't have the skill to be either a leader or an effective leader, and that extends to the vision of the group.

I don't think Mary took any real monumental risks in her career until she made the decision to leave the group, a huge risk indeed. But of course she followed that up by playing it safe again and again and again, until she dropped the first book. And then it was back to the same ole, same ole. Rinse and repeat. I'll always believe that with excellent management Mary Wilson could've been a solo star. Probably not a superstar, but a star. But even if you ignore the fact that she had horrible management in the 80s, I think Mary hindered herself more than anything. She just never seemed to be able to figure out what direction to move in. I wonder if this is what was going on with her in the 70s, knowing she needs to move forward, but couldn't figure out the direction, and so instead of choosing something progressive, she allowed the group to stick to the tried and true, but tired.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary talked about Jean disrespecting her and how she felt like throttling her or something like that.
    She said that.......ONCE. They are friends to this day. Jean, however, cannot stand to be in the same room as Lynda Laurence to this day!

I hear you. Good for Mary and Jean!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She said that.......ONCE. They are friends to this day. Jean, however, cannot stand to be in the same room as Lynda Laurence to this day!
    Totally false as usual Marv, Jean and Lynda are friends to this day and not too long ago attended a Jehovah Witness convention in Seattle I think it was. Jean still calls Lynda LL. Anymore inside Motown knowledge?

Jean rarely communicates with Mary or any other Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Totally false as usual Marv, Jean and Lynda are friends to this day and not too long ago attended a Jehovah Witness convention in Seattle I think it was. Jean still calls Lynda LL. Anymore inside Motown knowledge?

He peddles more BS and lies than Bunker Boy Trump.

Troubled minds usually do

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It was more like Pedro was management but they weren’t pre 75 when these problems started to pop up. Jeans arrangement is slower and more of a solo effort as opposed to Susaye’s version which is a little faster and more of a group effort.
    agreed - pedro came after Jean had left

Oh yes, they might have made some slight adjustments to He Aint Heavy. i only heard jean do it solo, not sure if M&C or M&L did backups on it. when susaye did it, S and M were doing backgrounds. Susaye also sang People, which was another Jean solo. clearly they were repurposing the existing materials in their songbook

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think Mary was a big part of the issue. I've said before, and it bears repeating, that Mary did not have a risk personality. If you go over everything that has been written and said by the original Supremes and those who knew them at the time, going back to the very beginning, Florence and Diana took charge of everything. Every time someone mentions anything to do with a decision, no one, including Mary, ever names her as a decision maker, outside of something being put to a vote. She followed Flo and Diana into every move of the group. So in my mind, once Mary is the last original standing, I imagine that she held dear the mantra of "play it safe", because she really don't have the skill to be either a leader or an effective leader, and that extends to the vision of the group.

I don't think Mary took any real monumental risks in her career until she made the decision to leave the group, a huge risk indeed. But of course she followed that up by playing it safe again and again and again, until she dropped the first book. And then it was back to the same ole, same ole. Rinse and repeat. I'll always believe that with excellent management Mary Wilson could've been a solo star. Probably not a superstar, but a star. But even if you ignore the fact that she had horrible management in the 80s, I think Mary hindered herself more than anything. She just never seemed to be able to figure out what direction to move in. I wonder if this is what was going on with her in the 70s, knowing she needs to move forward, but couldn't figure out the direction, and so instead of choosing something progressive, she allowed the group to stick to the tried and true, but tired.
    I don't know Mary's career well enough as a solo artist but it seems she made some attempts to diversify but always had to fall back to the "oldies but goodies/fake supremes stuff." Girl gotta pay her bills! Mary seems to have tried to sustain this "lifestyle of the rich and famous" image. living high or at least having the public think she was still the uber-rich supreme. That takes a lot of money to sustain

just like he tries to constantly say Mary is perfect, Lynda is in the his doghouse just like Diana. any opportunity to bad mouth either of them is what he's going to do.

Rick didn't Jean maintain a close friendship with Cindy throughout the years as well? I recall Mary saying a lot of times she had to communicate with Jean through Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Rick didn't Jean maintain a close friendship with Cindy throughout the years as well? I recall Mary saying a lot of times she had to communicate with Jean through Cindy.
    Yes Jean bonded more with Cindy and that's a testament to Cindy's sweet personality. Jean's relationship with Mary became increasingly strained especially after Cindy left but in more recent years they have buried the hatchet so to speak. Jean has put show business behind her and lives her life as a mom, a grandmom and is a devout Jehovah Witness. She wants nothing to do with show business and rarely communicates with any of the ladies except for Lynda who is also a JW. She has occasional communications with Lynda.

I don't know Mary's career well enough as a solo artist but it seems she made some attempts to diversify but always had to fall back to the "oldies but goodies/fake supremes stuff." Girl gotta pay her bills! Mary seems to have tried to sustain this "lifestyle of the rich and famous" image. living high or at least having the public think she was still the uber-rich supreme. That takes a lot of money to sustain
    Mary was all over the place in the 80s. Rocker, songstress, oldies, the lady couldn't make up her mind. And that's what I mean. I think if she had focused on something she may have been successful at it. I wonder too if this was the issue she had with certain record labels. Obviously there was some interests in her, at least to the point where they entertained Mary's interests in them, but I could imagine labels scratching their heads trying to figure out who does this chick want to be? Personally I think had she recorded some Anita Baker type demos and shopped them around, put together an act that mixed the smooth jazz/r&b sound that was doing so well at the time, she'd have found some takers. But I don't think anyone took Mary seriously as a rocker, and there was nothing left but to do old Supremes cuts and take the show on the road. Those oldies weren't going to get Mary a deal either.

yeah - rehashing the Supremes stuff continued to pay the bills. and i know Mary did venture out into other forays. like acting and all. by the mid 80s though, i think the idea of a "pop" record deal were pretty much gone. she was in her 40s and it's not very common for a record artist to start a solo career at that age. besides she had shopped every label and none of the came to anything

agree that she should have refocused on other aspects of her talent.

A nice moment a few years back in LA at one of the gown exhibits... When asking about Cindy's health, Jean put both hands on her heart and said, "I love her. You know Cindy is my heart."

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    A nice moment a few years back in LA at one of the gown exhibits... When asking about Cindy's health, Jean put both hands on her heart and said, "I love her. You know Cindy is my heart."
    That is wonderful to hear. Thank you George for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    When I interviewed Jean in 1978 she said Cindy took more time with her. I think Jean may have stayed with Cindy for a while in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I would agree with you on this. However, I think something happen that evening at the Frontier hotel between Gordy and Terrell that made him say Jean is out. Just my two cents on the whole thing for him to go that far and want to pull the plug.
    I agree. Something happened that made Berry thought twice about Jean and decided last minute to have Jean replaced by Syreeta. I think this was when Berry started to lose his Midas touch. Then again, I wonder if Syreeta would've went along with it considering she was working with Stevie... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Why would you join the most famous girl group in the world knowing they had a real huge Gay following if you dissapproved of homosexuality? When I heard that Jean didnt care for Gay people I was soooo done with her.
    JT being a homophobe broke my heart. Like I get it: if you're religious, be religious, but don't force your beliefs on me smh

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I think Mary was trying to be noticed. If you look at any concert shots of the Supremes with Cindy Birdsong check out how close the other group members sing into the mic compared to Cindy especially Mary. There are times when Cindy is right in the mix. The Hollywood Bowl performance Cindy is right in there but Live at The Talk Of The Town she's not very audible.
    I think I read somewhere in one of the Supremes books that after Florence left, Mary tried her best to be the "new Flo" and Cindy was where Mary used to be when Florence was with the group... Mary in the late '60s wanted to be seen and heard versus the Mary in the early-to-mid '60s that was happy to be the middle woman in between two extremes: the soulful, brassy Flo and the daring, enigmatic Diana.

Mary always stood out to me, besides being the most beautiful[[in my opinion) she looked beyond happy performing her voice was smooth as silk and performed their dance routines in undeniable precision. By the late 60's she was more bubbly and animated[[I always thought it was because the focus was so clearly on Diana Ross that she did this to survive as the earlier 60's even though Ross was the lead it was more a group group and each individuality was highlighted more). Cindy and Mary seemed to vocally and visually blend together more which made the Supremes part in Diana Ross and the Supremes more of a group if Ross was pushed to the forefront,Wilson and Birdsong were bonded together and blended together beautifully which made the combo of Mary and Cindy seem perfect to me. It was much more of a group feeling with them rather than one with a feel of every diva for herself. Mary herself in the Let Yourself Go booklet said this about each grouping [[except for the ones with Lynda & Susaye, as she was speaking more of the Mary, Scherrie & Cindy group). Diane, Florence and I were best friends, and that was one dynamic.When the group was "Diana Ross and the Supremes" that became another dynamic. The new grouping Jean, Cindy and I were a good combination of personalities. We got along very well. Jean was very much perfect for the time because she was not the glamour girl image that we had. She was more of the "black is beautiful" image, which really fit the times, because now the public couldn't say we were homogenized. When it came to Scherrie, Cindy and myself, there were no huge egos; it was perhaps the nicest group.

When asked about Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson in late 2017, all Diana Ross says is she doesn't keep in touch with them and she doesn't know where they are.........!

I wish fans wouldn't paint Jean as a "homophobe"--a term I hope never to hear again but I know that's a pipe dream. Maybe Jean just doesn't understand gay people. We should be patient and talk to people like her and then, and only then, will they come around. If they don't, then that's their business. But we should try. Calling people names like homophobe and racist are just making people close down and that's when resentment starts to build.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I wish fans wouldn't paint Jean as a "homophobe"--a term I hope never to hear again but I know that's a pipe dream. Maybe Jean just doesn't understand gay people. We should be patient and talk to people like her and then, and only then, will they come around. If they don't, then that's their business. But we should try. Calling people names like homophobe and racist are just making people close down and that's when resentment starts to build.
    Maybe I was harsh, but I just don't like how people say they don't understand people like us. I get that she may think it's weird but I hope she's not that hateful. Otherwise, she does seem lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    JT being a homophobe broke my heart. Like I get it: if you're religious, be religious, but don't force your beliefs on me smh
    What's the evidence for this? I've seen fans make the accusation over the years in this forum but never a Jean quote or anything of the sort.

When asked about Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson in late 2017, all Diana Ross says is she doesn't keep in touch with them and she doesn't know where they are.........!

There's a whole other thread about this in the forum for anyone interested. I said it then and I'll repeat it here: regarding Cindy, Diana was either lying or telling the truth. She knew where Cindy was and lied and said she didn't, or she didn't know where Cindy was. Regarding Mary: she was letting the world know that ship has sailed. Mary is none of Diana Ross' business and she wanted everybody to know it. Good for her.

There's a whole other thread about this in the forum for anyone interested. I said it then and I'll repeat it here: regarding Cindy, Diana was either lying or telling the truth. She knew where Cindy was and lied and said she didn't, or she didn't know where Cindy was. Regarding Mary: she was letting the world know that ship has sailed. Mary is none of Diana Ross' business and she wanted everybody to know it. Good for her.
    You're goddamned right! F*ck trashy ass Diana Ross! I don't know anyone with a "name" that would want to be associated with that trash seriously!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-11-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Mary was asked in an interview by Vivica A Fox about going to see Diana Ross in concert with her and she said no, that she wouldn't do it because she didn't want to upset Diane. Also, Mary is a much more open person than Diana. Ross is very guarded. I think I read here that Ross did not like the fact that Mary had written about Flo being raped, that she felt that she had never really recovered from that and used alcohol to cover her feelings about that and the mistrust it gave her towards people. I think Mary felt it would be good to explain that about Florence rather than having the population feel she was just someone who was angry and bitter towards Diana Ross becoming a star in her group and that she drank and was "heavy". I think Mary felt by clarifying it made Florence's dilemna more relatable and understandable whereas Ross may have wanted everything to be a secret and private. She may have felt the same about Cindy's health issues, whereas Mary only states Cindy has health issues, she also was involved in the HAL Awards for her health issues. Ross may feel it is private and won't discuss anything about anyone's difficulties. It is two very different personalities dealing with issues in two different ways but I honestly feel that both felt the same way towards both-that they care and want to help-but they go about things very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary was asked in an interview by Vivica A Fox about going to see Diana Ross in concert with her and she said no, that she wouldn't do it because she didn't want to upset Diane. Also, Mary is a much more open person than Diana. Ross is very guarded. I think I read here that Ross did not like the fact that Mary had written about Flo being raped, that she felt that she had never really recovered from that and used alcohol to cover her feelings about that and the mistrust it gave her towards people. I think Mary felt it would be good to explain that about Florence rather than having the population feel she was just someone who was angry and bitter towards Diana Ross becoming a star in her group and that she drank and was "heavy". I think Mary felt by clarifying it made Florence's dilemna more relatable and understandable whereas Ross may have wanted everything to be a secret and private. She may have felt the same about Cindy's health issues, whereas Mary only states Cindy has health issues, she also was involved in the HAL Awards for her health issues. Ross may feel it is private and won't discuss anything about anyone's difficulties. It is two very different personalities dealing with issues in two different ways but I honestly feel that both felt the same way towards both-that they care and want to help-but they go about things very differently.

Diana Ross told the public about her mother having TB which hurt her mother's feelings that she would do that.

You're goddamned right! F*ck trashy ass Diana Ross! I don't know anyone with a "name" that would want to be associated with that trash seriously!
    I can't tell. You post about her in this forum like every other day dude. Sometimes the Rossers spend a helluva lot of time coming for Mary Wilson, and they even come for you. Here lately, they haven't had shit to say about Mary yet you pop up daily or almost daily to spout some shit about Diana. You went so far as to start a thread asking what she's up to these days. But you don't know anyone with a "name" that would want to be associated with that trash? Is that your way of saying that Mary is a no name? She's always talking about reuniting with her "friend". Tee hee hee.

Hey stop it all! This is a thread about Jean and not Diana versus Mary. Thanks for respecting that. Maybe Jean had enough of people going on and on about Mary, Diana and how successful the Supremes were before she joined. Both Diana and Jean were good singers in their own right.

We have heard for some years now that Cindy isn't very well so maybe it's for the best that not many people know where she is. She is over 80 now so give her some peace. If she's willing and well enough I'm sure we'll hear from her.

You seriously have a deep seated problem. Maybe you should take a timeout or go find another blog to join. You are polluting this one.

But you associate yourself with her 24/7 365 days a year. If I loathed someone as you loath Diane Ross id seek medical help. Her security kicked you out of a concert almost 40 darned years ago after telling you repeatedkly to stop taking flash photos and your still Miss Bitter Betty. Get over it and get out o0f this here forum if you cant be civil.

Diana Ross told the public about her mother having TB which hurt her mother's feelings that she would do that.
    Did Ernestine Ross actually tell you face to face that DianE hurt her feelings. NOPE!!!!!! Get help Hon!!!!!

What's the evidence for this? I've seen fans make the accusation over the years in this forum but never a Jean quote or anything of the sort.
    Good question tbh...

Got a couple of complaints on this thread. I see its getting a little dicey. However the purpose of the DRATS forum was to get the senseless bickering regarding Diane or the Supremes off the main forums and provide an "anything goes" area. And this is what you have. Leave me out of it.

I to would be very interested.

Midnight I can tell you're a good guy. You have to separate people who hate gay people [[and I haven't met one of those in at least 2 decades) from people who just don't get gay people. We should be patient, is all I'm saying. I was petrified the first time a girl I was dating took me to a gay bar so I can hardly be judgemental. We all start somewhere.

RanRan--who is "accusing" Jean Terrell of anything? I have several friends who have known Jean to some degree for years and they all got the same impression--that years ago, Jean was a little weirded out by the gay fan base. I get the impression that she just didn't have any experience with gay guys up until she became a Supreme. That's all. No hatred involved at all. Just lack of experience. Did her religion have anything to do with it? I don't know and I really don't care. She is entitled to her POV, regardless.

I've read and heard this once before. It's from an article from 2007. Where the interviewer says that when asking Terrell about her strong gay following she replied:" as long as they like my music, that's all that matters." I don't know if it's the name of the interviewer but the name Ernie Alderete appears on the top of the article. Shine on, Jean Terrell in the Bay Area Reporter.

Other than that I've never heard or am able to find anything either. Being gay I thought it was a bit of a weird answer but it didn't make me dislike her.
    Last edited by TYK1986; 07-12-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Like any discussion this has gone off track. Yes, it is a wonder why Jean was ill and it was right for Mary to wonder if she was really ill or just unhappy or using it to show her importance to the group. Like I said, Jean had a wonderful voice but she lacked Diana's charisma. In my opinion, Florence, Mary, Cindy and Scherrie also had amazing charisma. If we look at chart action on the singles there was initial enthusiasm that started to fade once Motown in 1972 was looking at film more than music. DRATS, who was before Jean joined , did have some #1's like Love Child in 1968 and Someday We'll Be Together in 1969 along with #2's Reflections and I'm Gonna Make You Love Me but they also had spotty chart action in between so comparison to the Jean era show some similarities. Forever Came Today was #28, Somethings You Never Get Used To #30,I'm Livin in Shame #9,The Composer #27,No Matter What Sign You Are #31.
    In Comparison when Jean joined there was some good chart action and enthusiasm-Up The Ladder To The Roof #10,Everybody's Got The Right To Love #21,Stoned Love #7, River Deep Mountain High #14, Nathan Jones #16,Touch #71,Floy Joy#16,Automatically Sunshine #37 and when Motown moved to movies in 1972 the cahrt action went like this with Jean-Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love #59, I Guess I'll Miss The Man #85 and Bad Weather #87.
    So, comparing it to DRATS the chart action was similar with highs for songs that caught on and mid numbers for other songs. It seemed once Motown's attention was elsewhere in 1972 that the numbers went down and this was around the time of Jean's "illness" so it was only natural Mary wondered when it seemed Jean got sick because she was unhappy. The Supremes legacy loomed over her through no fault of her own and the numbers were all over the place during DRATS yet this was the time Ross was pushed so heavily and the entire group had a personae on television and concerts that the audience still enjoyed even if they were no longer rushing to buy their records to make them #1. Jean wanted Lynda & Mary to leave, go somewhere else and rename the group. I am just surprised there was no interest in Terrell as she had taken Ross' place and news media would have had curiosity on that alone. Perhaps, she did grow weary of comparisons and was not being recognized for her own talents. I read one book where they said Terrell had a mind of her own and that in Terrell Gordy had another Ballard. Funny, it took until 1978, 5 years after she left the Supremes to go to A&M and then not promote her own work. I know if she was unhappy and was also ill that it could clearly flare up whenever she was frustrated and unhappy. Plus, Terrell was salaried and I know that probably became something she regretted.

In a 1973 interview with Mike Douglas he asks if they, the Supremes, get tired of hearing that the group is not the same without Diana Ross. Watch the video on Youtube. Jean mentioned the word exuberant. She says that good singers just want to stand up and sing and not have to be so exuberant. This gives an indication of how she was thinking.

Jean may have been "sick" of Motown altogether...

We've all taken jobs thinking that job was going to be one thing, and it turned out to be something else altogether. I think this was true for Jean Terrell. Show biz isn't for everybody.