[REMOVE ADS]

The most dissed Miracles track and their best - A Miracles rant!

Dear SD friends:

Granted I came along later - - my love of Motown came from Oldies stations in New Jersey/Philly/New York/Pittsburgh and South Florida.

For oldies stations airplay and specialty shows in these markets - outside of "Tears Of A Clown," "OOO Baby Baby," "You've Really Got A Hold Me" and "I Second That Emotion" - the number one song for oldies stations airplay in these markets - the "go to" Miracles record was always "Would I Love You", and still is to this day [[on oldies specialty shows in these markets).

Back when I first consulted on a Motown project [[Hittsville USA where I'm credited for Box 2 and The 35th Anniversary Collection) I helped with A/B comparisons for the proper single versions of various Miracles songs. When I asked how this track was left, I was told by then Motown friends - the track list for the disc was already too long, something had to go [[for the 35th).

Later I worked with Tom Moulton and we did the Stereo Motown Box [[both versions) and my own licensed collections like Motown" Big Hits and More - 6 cd set" for various tie-ins to my PBS tv specials - the number one Miracles song of all the dj's we surveyed [[Cousin Brucie, Jerry Blavat, Harvey Holiday, Art LaBoe, RD Summers, Porky Chedwick and Ken Held was "Would I Love You" - the stereo version. Though I've always been partial to the single [[for the yea yea yea missing in the stereo version). I've been doing radio request shows for over 20 years years and many local and national tv shows - the song everyone always asks me for is "Would I Love You" - especially the Philly/Jersey crowd where it was in regular rotation 2 or 3 times a day on WOGL 98.1. Every legendary jock from Jocko to Blavat to Harvey Holiday to Bob Pantano always played "Would I Love You" on their radio shows, specialty shows, and at their live club gigs.

...and yet.....it always seems to have been left off or forgotten on so many cd sets and lp reissues - off everything but "From the Beginning"which to my knwledge never made it to CD in the U.S legitimately......As I always say thank God for Harry and Andy who did a masterful job of giving it it's full love and respect on the "OOO Baby Baby collection" and the Lost and Found sets - - but prior to this the song seemed truly lost on CD. Even on the "Best Of The Rest" Rhino CD - which was all he had for a long time, no one thought to include this track - - and yet it remained so popular in airplay and in clubs in these regions. Maybe it's a Jersey/Pennsylvania thing?

Anyone who sees my tv presentations know I'm biased for anything and all things Miracles, and in full disclosure it is the song I married my bride to - - but it's only because it was so exposed in all the radio/oldies markets we grew up in to hear it in the first place - it was as commonly played in Jersey & Philly as the Tops, "I Can't Help Myself" and/or The Isleys, "This Old Heart Of Mine"...in clubs at the Jersey shore and in Philly, outside of "Mickey's Monkey" and "Going To A Go-Go" - this is the song we all danced too - every bit as big as doo wop ballads like "You Belong To Me" or "Since I Don't Have You" or "In The Still Of The Night"....

I've talked to Smokey and Bobby and Pete and Claudette many times about the track - they all seemed to have really liked it too - - but somehow, it truly seems lost to time on older and early cd reissues [[other than the ones we license and release through our magnificent friends at UME).

So - - to all my friends here, why was "Would I Love You" - adored in several big markets oldies radio airplay/clubs forgotten?

The consultant in Texas didn't test it? It didn't make any early cd compilations for music directors and program directors to hear? People from Jersey are just oddly nuts for this track?

Honestly, I never once heard its flip on the radio - but did I just happen to land in markets that felt the same passion for this tune as I did- - or maybe I helped sell the passion for this tune [[along with the great boss jocks before me and my time who set the foundations for all oldies) "sold it" to listeners and viewers on-air. There's no footage of the group performing it on tv - like Bad Girl, it seems lost to time for any hopes of seeing the group perform it in 1964. [[Though "That's What Love Is Made Of" made it to T.A.M.I.)

Just a fun little question I'm well - a little passionate about. What's your opinion, I'd really like to know!

"just like a flower loves the rain, I'd never cause you Pain" - The Mighty Mighty Miracles!

your friend - tj

Great,great song,the b-side of[that's what love is made of]-the miracles forever!!

Not just New Jersey that's fond of "Would I Love You". Bootlegs I know, but the guy who made the Marginal CDs seemed to include it whenever he got the chance so I'm guessing there is a real following for it.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-17-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Dear SD friends:

So - - to all my friends here, why was "Would I Love You" - adored in several big markets oldies radio airplay/clubs forgotten?

Just a fun little question I'm well - a little passionate about. What's your opinion, I'd really like to know!

"just like a flower loves the rain, I'd never cause you Pain" - The Mighty Mighty Miracles!

your friend - tj
    Greetings TJ. My take on the possible reason why The Miracles' "Would I Love You" gets overlooked in their roll call of classic recordings is because it was the B-side to the [[IMHO) inferior "That's What Love Is Made Of". I don't recall either side of the record being played on the radio in NYC when it first came out [[and didn't hear either song until the Greatest Hits From The Beginning collection). And as you noted, "Would I.." got passed up for various reasons on Miracles collections that came out during the '90s [[until finally showing up on 1999's Lost And Found-Along Came Love set). It's good to see that "Would I Love You" does have a passionate following after all this time.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 06-17-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Great theory Eddie - perhaps they originally wanted the A-side promoted - and when it didn't hit big, they moved on originally. The only other song from the early Miracles that gives me the same "feeling" as "Would I Love You" is "You Can Depend On Me" and perhaps, "The Only One I Love" - but I never get requests for these on radio or the bigger hits either, with the frequency of "Would I Love You". Probably also because it fits in with a doo wop style sound and audience in the Miracles 5 voices, so it crosses over into R&B and pop older audiences that "feel" that emotion of want to be back slow dancing, and close dancing. The strings and orchestration are so beautiful, but the innocence of Smokey and Claudette and Bobby way up front are so pure.....anyone know details of this track and how it came to be? Recording details? In fairness, the audience for this tune is now well over 65-80 yrs in age - - so it just may be because like "Bad Girl", or "I Cry" it fits the format of a doo wop show and an early Motown R&B soul groove - blue light dance...
    Last edited by tjl; 06-17-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Hi TJ; I don't remember "Would I Love You" being played in Detroit. I do vaguely remember hearing "That's What Love is Made Of" on the radio because of the old rhyme "snakes, snails. puppy dog tails - sugar spice everything nice". But I was very little when the songs came out, perhaps Stubass [[who's a little older than me) recalls it being played on Detroit radio. I do know that WJLB and WCHB - the soul radio stations in Detroit, played a great deal of the Motown b-sides.

Information about the song is found at the excellent Don't Forget the Motor City website: dftmc.info Recorded on December 30, 1963; released on August 28, 1964.

It appears that the recording was a second version. I'm not sure if the first attempt has been released, but the first version is not listed as ever being officially released
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 06-17-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Just me but the song seems to pop up everywhere and different takes of it have also been released.

For example there were either 2 or 3 versions on the Marginal CDs I mentioned [[2 of them on the Detroit Rare Tracks From series). It alsp appeared on a Tower promotional CD [[promoting the Lost & Found stuff).

Also, an alternate stereo version appears on The Motown Box CD set from 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Dear SD friends:

Granted I came along later - - my love of Motown came from Oldies stations in New Jersey/Philly/New York/Pittsburgh and South Florida.

For oldies stations airplay and specialty shows in these markets - outside of "Tears Of A Clown," "OOO Baby Baby," "You've Really Got A Hold Me" and "I Second That Emotion" - the number one song for oldies stations airplay in these markets - the "go to" Miracles record was always "Would I Love You", and still is to this day [[on oldies specialty shows in these markets).

Back when I first consulted on a Motown project [[Hittsville USA where I'm credited for Box 2 and The 35th Anniversary Collection) I helped with A/B comparisons for the proper single versions of various Miracles songs. When I asked how this track was left, I was told by then Motown friends - the track list for the disc was already too long, something had to go [[for the 35th).

Later I worked with Tom Moulton and we did the Stereo Motown Box [[both versions) and my own licensed collections like Motown" Big Hits and More - 6 cd set" for various tie-ins to my PBS tv specials - the number one Miracles song of all the dj's we surveyed [[Cousin Brucie, Jerry Blavat, Harvey Holiday, Art LaBoe, RD Summers, Porky Chedwick and Ken Held was "Would I Love You" - the stereo version. Though I've always been partial to the single [[for the yea yea yea missing in the stereo version). I've been doing radio request shows for over 20 years years and many local and national tv shows - the song everyone always asks me for is "Would I Love You" - especially the Philly/Jersey crowd where it was in regular rotation 2 or 3 times a day on WOGL 98.1. Every legendary jock from Jocko to Blavat to Harvey Holiday to Bob Pantano always played "Would I Love You" on their radio shows, specialty shows, and at their live club gigs.

...and yet.....it always seems to have been left off or forgotten on so many cd sets and lp reissues - off everything but "From the Beginning"which to my knwledge never made it to CD in the U.S legitimately......As I always say thank God for Harry and Andy who did a masterful job of giving it it's full love and respect on the "OOO Baby Baby collection" and the Lost and Found sets - - but prior to this the song seemed truly lost on CD. Even on the "Best Of The Rest" Rhino CD - which was all he had for a long time, no one thought to include this track - - and yet it remained so popular in airplay and in clubs in these regions. Maybe it's a Jersey/Pennsylvania thing?

Anyone who sees my tv presentations know I'm biased for anything and all things Miracles, and in full disclosure it is the song I married my bride to - - but it's only because it was so exposed in all the radio/oldies markets we grew up in to hear it in the first place - it was as commonly played in Jersey & Philly as the Tops, "I Can't Help Myself" and/or The Isleys, "This Old Heart Of Mine"...in clubs at the Jersey shore and in Philly, outside of "Mickey's Monkey" and "Going To A Go-Go" - this is the song we all danced too - every bit as big as doo wop ballads like "You Belong To Me" or "Since I Don't Have You" or "In The Still Of The Night"....

I've talked to Smokey and Bobby and Pete and Claudette many times about the track - they all seemed to have really liked it too - - but somehow, it truly seems lost to time on older and early cd reissues [[other than the ones we license and release through our magnificent friends at UME).

The consultant in Texas didn't test it? It didn't make any early cd compilations for music directors and program directors to hear? People from Jersey are just oddly nuts for this track?

Honestly, I never once heard its flip on the radio - but did I just happen to land in markets that felt the same passion for this tune as I did- - or maybe I helped sell the passion for this tune [[along with the great boss jocks before me and my time who set the foundations for all oldies) "sold it" to listeners and viewers on-air. There's no footage of the group performing it on tv - like Bad Girl, it seems lost to time for any hopes of seeing the group perform it in 1964. [[Though "That's What Love Is Made Of" made it to T.A.M.I.)

your friend - tj
    TJ, it is definitely a So. Jersey/Philly thing! They always did that down there. Pick their own favorites from A and B sides and play all of them like they were promoted singles released by Motown. I remember when I lived in Philly, I'd always heard Martha and the Vandellas "Third Finger, Left Hand" and did not know why they played that song so much.

I think you nailed it Marv - - it's a Jersey/Philly/Pittsburgh thing!

I know the third song I played when I married my bride over 20 years ago was "Third Finger, Left Hand" - cause that's where I had to place the wedding band! You the man Marv!

Would i,was very popular in d.c.because in those days when dj's played what they wanted all of the miracles songs got turned over to side b,because folks knew that a smokey b-side might be better than the [a]..oh an by the way-[that's what love is made of] is a great song for it's sem-comical love at love,nobody can interplay words like smokey!

When you love a song , you love a song! Sometimes the non-hits seem even more special.

This song sounds OK , its good. More of a fifties throwback , I could see it doing well on oldies radio of that type.