[REMOVE ADS]

Does anyone remember Maybe Tomorrow by the Four Tops featuring Phjyllis Hyman?

I recently discovered through a good friend that a duet exists featuring Levi Stubbs and the legendary Phyllis Hyman from 1985. It was featured in the MAGIC album that was released that year.

This was the first I heard it and I must admit that her exotic voice blended in perfectly with Levi. I wish they had done more together. Naturally, the other Three Tops were an integral part of this.

To my knowledge this is the only other person who ever recorded with the Four Tops other than the Supremes. Correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a taste of this great song. Enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3taf7sD5vyU

I know that several others on this forum are gonna rush in with letting you know that Aretha Franklin recorded "If Ever a Love There Was" with the Four Tops which is on their Indestructible album.

Also, they recorded "Hang" with the Temptations on their "Back Where I Belong" album.
    Last edited by jobucats; 06-17-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I know that several others on this forum are gonna rush in with letting you know that Aretha Franklin recorded "If Ever a Love There Was" with the Four Tops which is on their Indestructible album.

Also, they recorded "Hang" with the Temptations on their "Back Where I Belong" album.
    Dang, you beat me to it! LOL...Anyway, nice tune though not a fave of mine, even of a
    duet of two artists from different spectrums. For me that award goes to Jean Carne backed by The Temptations....

I have no idea how this passed me before, or maybe I knew about it and forgot LOL, but this is very nice!!

Yes, I absolutely know of this teaming, since Phyllis is an idol of mine and The Tops are...well, The Tops!

Aretha and The Tops also recorded “I Wanna Make It Up to You” for her JUMP TO IT LP.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Dang, you beat me to it! LOL...Anyway, nice tune though not a fave of mine, even of a
    duet of two artists from different spectrums. For me that award goes to Jean Carne backed by The Temptations....
    Hey, Splanky. I am usually the last one to respond fast enough. I wonder if there will be a reward of a cookie. Hope so!

Also "What have we got to lose" with Aretha on the 'Back where I belong' album

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Also "What have we got to lose" with Aretha on the 'Back where I belong' album
    That one is great!!!

Thanks for sharing this duet. I love Phyllis and have all of her albums, but have also not heard this duet before.

In addition to those already mentioned, Aretha also did a number of songs on the Tops' Christmas album.

Yep,nice one from phyllis and the tops.

The Tops also recorded a duet with Stevie, "Teach Me Tonight".

Of course there is a version of this song with just Levi singing lead [[no duet). While I love Phyllis' voice, it's very interesting to hear Levi take the song on by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for sharing this duet. I love Phyllis and have all of her albums, but have also not heard this duet before.
    It's also available on the 1998 Phyllis compilation One on One, a must for any Phyllis-head:

https://www.discogs.com/Phyllis-Hyma...release/756107

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I recently discovered through a good friend that a duet exists featuring Levi Stubbs and the legendary Phyllis Hyman from 1985. It was featured in the MAGIC album that was released that year.

This was the first I heard it and I must admit that her exotic voice blended in perfectly with Levi. I wish they had done more together. Naturally, the other Three Tops were an integral part of this.

To my knowledge this is the only other person who ever recorded with the Four Tops other than the Supremes. Correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a taste of this great song. Enjoy it.

Aretha recorded with the Four Tops several times:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It's also available on the 1998 Phyllis compilation One on One, a must for any Phyllis-head:

https://www.discogs.com/Phyllis-Hyma...release/756107
    sansradio, thank you for the tip! I've seen this compilation online in the past but haven't gotten around to getting it. I shall do that asap!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    sansradio, thank you for the tip! I've seen this compilation online in the past but haven't gotten around to getting it. I shall do that asap!
    You got it!

The Vocal from LEVI, just so Pure & Moving, straight from the Heart with Phyllis, his vocals with Aretha were exact the same! Levi a Talent like we never see again.

Great to be back here on Soulful Detroit, I check the website every morning, but last Sunday I for back 403 Forbidden! tried every day the same, tried to get in touch with a few friend on here by email, no response, tried Ralph on Facebook, but so great to click this morning and see the website open!

Smokey Robinson - Indestructible

Although a bit of a cameo, it was great to hear two of the finest voices in music on the same record.

Great song , they were both at their best, Indestructible is a great album that should have been a much bigger success.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

Thanks for sharing Woodward, as both a Levi and Phyllis fan, this is somehow my first time listening to it too ,.....
    I've tried , but I'm not hearing those other Tops on here ...[[?)...
    And without them , its virtually a duet , so I can see how this product failed to make it as a '4 Tops' 45 release ; still its a shame Motown didn't find more value in Miss Hyman's participation and at least use this as a "b" side to one of the two tracks that were released from that album. Her fans likely would've gobbled it up, it might've even broken that way into a hit.

[[Is this Phyllis only Motown involvement?)

* looking at the LP's back cover, you really have to stumble upon it, to get any clue of this pairing found inside.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-28-2020 at 05:11 AM.