[REMOVE ADS]

Tyrone davis - chiccago sound exemplar

I thought this recording of Eddie Floyd's hit 'Knock On Wood' by Tyrone Davis would be of interest to fans of the Chicago Sound. Everybody knows the Stax rendition and there are countless recordings following the same format, amd most don't add anything to the original.

However, Tyrone and his crew gave it the full Chicago treatment in 1968 and it is hardly recognisable. It illustrates just how definitive and distinctly different the Chicago Sound was, with its big fat bubbling bass, the space and air, the guitar chords and the full blaring horns, all supporting a great performance by Tyrone pleading his case.

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 06-13-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Yea, I have that. Isaac Hayes said TD was his favorite male singer...

Listened to this when the thread was started but forgot to say how much I enjoyed it. Quite different to the original but really well done!!!!

First time hearing Tyrone Davis' version of "Knock On Wood" and it's great. Easily the most distinctive take on the song thanks to it's treatment as a slow blues. Thanks for sharing MIKEW-UK.

Hi friends,

thanks for for your comments. Appreciated. Mike

True Story

I was working the desk at the Radisson Saginaw--1980, when I had a walk-in, when I checked his licence I looked up and said, "are you the Tyrone Davis" and he had a big smile and said that he was. I asked what brought him to the area and he told me he was from Saginaw. I had a suite available an upgraded him.
    Pretty cool

What TD did with Knock On Wood he would do with his covers of other songs throughout
    his career. He was just that versatile. He even revisited his own hit Turn Back The Hands
    Of Time as a kind of dirge. I myself don't own it and only get to enjoy it when my DJ
    Felix plays it on his Rhythm Revue radio program. I need to fix that. Barbara Acklin and
    Eugene Record [[of The Chilites) sang background on several of his recordings...

Tyrone Davis was just Soul cool.............

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I thought this recording of Eddie Floyd's hit 'Knock On Wood' by Tyrone Davis would be of interest to fans of the Chicago Sound. Everybody knows the Stax rendition and there are countless recordings following the same format, amd most don't add anything to the original.

However, Tyrone and his crew gave it the full Chicago treatment in 1968 and it is hardly recognisable. It illustrates just how definitive and distinctly different the Chicago Sound was, with its big fat bubbling bass, the space and air, the guitar chords and the full blaring horns, all supporting a great performance by Tyrone pleading his case.

I do not like this at all. I much, much prefer the original version by Eddie Floyd.

I saw TD many times LIVE in the late 60's & early 70's & he always had a great band & put on a great show. One time in Orlando, it was just Johnnie Taylor & Tyrone Davis, TD did a great 1 hour show then a long break...the Promoter came onstage & announced "Mr Johnnie Taylor says ya'll didn't pay enough to hear him sing" The audiance went crazy, I thought there would be a riot, well, back onto the stage comes Tyrone Davis' band & then TD & did another 30-45 minutes. After the show you could hear men tellin their wives they were gonna break all the Johnnie Taylor records in thei house, LOL. Who knows what the real story was. Tyrone Davis was a real trooper.