[REMOVE ADS]

Conversation with Motown Guitar Master Eddie Willis of the Funk Brothers

This is a nice profile done with Eddie "Chank" Willis by the Mississippi Public Broadcasting channel:

Last edited by marv2; 06-12-2020 at 08:21 AM.

What a pleasure to see these, Marv! These men, The Funk Brothers were [[and still) are my musical teachers. I learned to play a wide array of instruments from bass, to drums, to guitars, to keyboards to trumpets, trombones, saxophones BECAUSE of these guys. I wanted so badly to be a musician like any and all of these heroes! It was Eddie's "chank" back beats, particularly on "Uptight" that drew me to near obsession with Motown at one point when I was around 11.

One difference I noticed with Eddie amongst the other Funk Brothers is that he truly seems to be in awe that what they were doing WAS really something spectacular, beautiful and once-in-lifetime. I was listening to his comments near the end of the second video and I absolutely love that he says he's hearing these records and being knocked out by what they created. Yet, he still gives that vibe that he is so down to earth and humble as a human being. In a way, he reminds me of my father who came from the South and played guitar too. Thanks for sharing these Marv.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 06-13-2020 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks for sharing

Can never get enough musical history of the Funk Brothers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVQ2W9GinU

Is this Eddie Willis, playing the 'metalic' guitar on the beat.. Eddie possibly moonlighting on
    A Jack Ashford production.

Very gentle man... He and Rose dealt with a lot of struggles... It was nice to see him enjoy one big day dedicated to he and his Motown music mates...Name:  _ENT9497-SMILE.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  52.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Very gentle man... He and Rose dealt with a lot of struggles... It was nice to see him enjoy one big day dedicated to he and his Motown music mates...Name:  _ENT9497-SMILE.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  52.9 KB
    I really loved seeing Marty Stuart there. That showed me how much respect these musicians have for each other regardless what kind of music each plays.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I really loved seeing Marty Stuart there. That showed me how much respect these musicians have for each other regardless what kind of music each plays.
    I believe you may be referring to the Musicians Hall Of Fame in Nashville who also gave the guys a Lifetime Achievement Award to go along with the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and the Hollywood Walk of Fame [[pictured above)...But it is true about musicians from other genres respecting the work of their fellow musicians... Speaking of Marty Stuart, a very talented stringed instrument player in his own right, also a fellow Mississippian of Eddies, and Marty also had a very close relationship with Pops Staples...