[REMOVE ADS]

New supreme lynda takes over lead at the copa while jean is "ill"

This may have been posted before, but so what! This a rehearsal for the Copa Show in 1972. Jean was not there and they brought a pregnant Cindy back from maternity leave and New Supreme Lynda took over all the leads.

I was there that night, and after getting over the shock of seeing Cindy there, I realized that Jean was not there and it was the new Supreme that was singing lead.

Lynda seems to get a lot of criticism on these boards, but I was impressed by how seamlessly she was able to not only fit into an established group but also take over the lead on such short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This may have been posted before, but so what! This a rehearsal for the Copa Show in 1972. Jean was not there and they brought a pregnant Cindy back from maternity leave and New Supreme Lynda took over all the leads.

I was there that night, and after getting over the shock of seeing Cindy there, I realized that Jean was not there and it was the new Supreme that was singing lead.

Lynda seems to get a lot of criticism on these boards, but I was impressed by how seamlessly she was able to not only fit into an established group but also take over the lead on such short notice.

i agree Lynda is fab. She is hated by the Mary-or-die types because she asked for what she thought she was worth [[1/3 of the Supremes inc like Cindy and Mary had.) With them, if you say the slightest thing about Mary that isn’t a rave, they go apeshit.

thank you so much for this wonderful bit of Supreme History!
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 06-08-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Just like the Diana-or die types who do the same to Mary. Having said that Lynda sounds great but I still think she would’ve been better as a solo artist,
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    i agree Lynda is fab. She is hated by the Mary-or-die types because she asked for what she thought she was worth [[1/3 of the Supremes inc like Cindy and Mary had.) With them, if you say the slightest thing about Mary that isn’t a rave, they go apeshit.

thank you so much for this wonderful bit of Supreme History!

But you have to remember this was the second time she stepped into the lead spot.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    But you have to remember this was the second time she stepped into the lead spot.
    Still impressive. New member of an established group, all excited about getting to appear at the prestigious Copa in NYC, and then finding out that she will actually be doing the leads.

I've told this story before, but so what? Tables are close in the Copa and you can hear conversations at the other tables. Although it took me a couple of seconds to realize that this was a different line-up, some of the older people in the audience had no idea. I heard an older lady at the next table say "Which one is Diana?".

Name:  1972.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  24.1 KB

Mary still wasn’t confident enough to do the full lead. She did have her spotlight plus where did our live go and her shared leads.
    Still impressive. New member of an established group, all ex guy cited about getting to appear at the prestigious Copa in NYC, and then finding out that she will actually be doing the leads.

I've told this story before, but so what? Tables are close in the Copa and you can hear conversations at the other tables. Although it took me a couple of seconds to realize that this was a different line-up, some of the older people in the audience had no idea. I heard an older lady at the next table say "Which one is Diana?".

Name:  1972.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  24.1 KB

Mary Wilson chose Lynda over her sister to replace Cindy when she left to have her son. Lynda did sing lead in Hawaii during her first gig with the group. Mary wrote that she talked with Lynda if she could do it when Jean was ill and could not work for 8 weeks. Lynda had been watching the group perform, so she was familiar with the show. I would say the pressure was more on Scherrie, who Mary also chose, when she had a week after going to LA to audition and had to learn everything in a week to perform at the New Mexico State Fair. Still, Lynda is a talented performer and she was chosen by Mary and Jean to join the group. There wasn't any member who wasn't talented, but I think some fans like individuals to varying degrees. Lynda was not in the group long enough to really impress me much. Susaye was in the group the same amount of time but she sang lead and added impressive background adlibs which elevated their songs. I think some people may feel Lynda was not in the group long but was in the FLOs[[where she replaced Cindy, who opted for a solo career at the time) and has taken on the mantle that she was responsible for carrying on the Supremes' legacy. if anyone,besides Mary and Diana, it would be Scherrie who Mary begrudgingly was going to let continue the Supremes when she left because she was so devoted and loyal while working with Mary and Mary stated in terms of personality and talent would have been the best to carry on with if she had decided to stay. Mary has written she felt as the odd woman out with Jean and Lynda as they sequestered themselves from her to study Jehavoah's witness Bible studies while touring. I think some may take some offense with Lynda over her claims about the Supremes' legacy and her role in it. Lynda fit nicely in the group during 1972-3 and she supplied a very nice mid 70's vibe while retaining the glamour. Still, she did not blend vocally as well with Mary as Florence, Cindy or even Susaye did. I like Lynda, but she is not one of my favorite Supremes, although I have heard she is very nice to fans personally and has a very nice personality.

Mary still wasn’t confident enough to do the full lead. She did have her spotlight plus where did our live go and her shared leads.
    while i'm sometimes critical of Mary's decisions with the group and some of the lead vocals, i'm not critical of her NOT doing the leads in Hawaii and here at the Copa with the MLC lineup.

The lead parts are for a higher voice than Mary's. I'm sure she knew the lyrics and notes but the score and orchestral parts are in a key for a soprano. Mary's an alto. so yeah, she wouldn't have taken those lead parts. even when she was a solo artist and doing songs like Stoned Love, during the choruses she often still sang the alto part.

Also Lynda would have probably had some basic familiarity with the general melody of the songs. Certainly of the MOR and non-Sup material they were doing. Whereas the backgrounds are typically complex harmonies which she would not have know.

I agree that stepping into the lead duties would be incredibly difficult and Lynda is to be highly commended for doing so. What M and C were doing in the background though is harder than lead and they're often not given credit. people dismiss them as "just" background singers. well honey - background is HARD. so kudos to them

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary Wilson chose Lynda over her sister to replace Cindy when she left to have her son. Lynda did sing lead in Hawaii during her first gig with the group. Mary wrote that she talked with Lynda if she could do it when Jean was ill and could not work for 8 weeks. Lynda had been watching the group perform, so she was familiar with the show. I would say the pressure was more on Scherrie, who Mary also chose, when she had a week after going to LA to audition and had to learn everything in a week to perform at the New Mexico State Fair. Still, Lynda is a talented performer and she was chosen by Mary and Jean to join the group. There wasn't any member who wasn't talented, but I think some fans like individuals to varying degrees. Lynda was not in the group long enough to really impress me much. Susaye was in the group the same amount of time but she sang lead and added impressive background adlibs which elevated their songs. I think some people may feel Lynda was not in the group long but was in the FLOs[[where she replaced Cindy, who opted for a solo career at the time) and has taken on the mantle that she was responsible for carrying on the Supremes' legacy. if anyone,besides Mary and Diana, it would be Scherrie who Mary begrudgingly was going to let continue the Supremes when she left because she was so devoted and loyal while working with Mary and Mary stated in terms of personality and talent would have been the best to carry on with if she had decided to stay. Mary has written she felt as the odd woman out with Jean and Lynda as they sequestered themselves from her to study Jehavoah's witness Bible studies while touring. I think some may take some offense with Lynda over her claims about the Supremes' legacy and her role in it. Lynda fit nicely in the group during 1972-3 and she supplied a very nice mid 70's vibe while retaining the glamour. Still, she did not blend vocally as well with Mary as Florence, Cindy or even Susaye did. I like Lynda, but she is not one of my favorite Supremes, although I have heard she is very nice to fans personally and has a very nice personality.
    Jim - i agree that M and L just didn't strike the right blend. M and C were just perfect. their two voices really melded into 1. M and F were excellent singing partners and their voices complemented each other very well too

L had more of a lead voice than a background voice. there's a nasality and brightness to it which makes it ideal for lead as it can cut through orchestration. but because of its tone, it's harder to make that perfect blend.

its just as well because Motown forbade Mary from doing the lead. That’s why she chose/allowed Pedro To manage the group - plus his salary of course.

They must’ve had a slight change of heart once Jean left.
    its just as well because Motown forbade Mary from doing the lead. That’s why she chose/allowed Pedro To manage the group - plus his salary of course.

Also it wouldn’t explain the year and a half before Pedro became their manager when Mary and Scherrie split the leads.

not so sure about that. when J and L left, Mary wanted to take over full lead of the group but motown said no. they conceded to allow her to share leads with another girl. but damn - that's a rather harsh slap in the face. she'd been with the group for 14 or so years, been a longtime Motown employee, touring, recording, etc. And even doing some leads with Jean. and motown still said "no way"

Think about it like this, Motown could have easily found a girl to do the lead and left Mary with only her featured spot. But they didn’t.
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    not so sure about that. when J and L left, Mary wanted to take over full lead of the group but motown said no. they conceded to allow her to share leads with another girl. but damn - that's a rather harsh slap in the face. she'd been with the group for 14 or so years, been a longtime Motown employee, touring, recording, etc. And even doing some leads with Jean. and motown still said "no way"

Maybe I just like variety, but I don't see anything wrong with having all of them sing lead on selected songs. Mary should have been doing some Gladys Knight songs--they are totally in her range and she cleans up when she does them. Have you guys seen the Youtube vid of Mary singing If I Were Your Woman? She turns that song inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Maybe I just like variety, but I don't see anything wrong with having all of them sing lead on selected songs. Mary should have been doing some Gladys Knight songs--they are totally in her range and she cleans up when she does them. Have you guys seen the Youtube vid of Mary singing If I Were Your Woman? She turns that song inside out.
    i liked the evolution of the group during the 70s too. trading lead lines on some cuts, sharing more of the spotlight.

their three leads on Bridge Over Troubled Water are stunning

and the MS&S album really allows each woman to shine on appropriate material

I never heard Lynda doing these leads before. I think she did a great job--they all sound great!

I like them all doing leads but I find the 3 part harmony especially stunning. I'm not a singer -- it makes my head hurt, trying to figure out how in the hell three people can sing completely different notes and it somehow all comes together

Lynda did a pretty good job on these leads. Her voice lends itself to the known Supremes sound better than Mary's did.

They had so many possibilities with Susaye, Scherrie, Lynda, Jean and Mary - but by 1972, nothing was working and the hits were gone.

After Touch was released as a single, they struggled a lot. But so did the Four Tops and Temptations. The 70's were the era of the singer songwriter.

Very true!

They bounced back with Floy Joy using the same formula and it worked. Problem was adequate follow ups
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Lynda did a pretty good job on these leads. Her voice lends itself to the known Supremes sound better than Mary's did.

They had so many possibilities with Susaye, Scherrie, Lynda, Jean and Mary - but by 1972, nothing was working and the hits were gone.

After Touch was released as a single, they struggled a lot. But so did the Four Tops and Temptations. The 70's were the era of the singer songwriter.

They bounced back with Floy Joy using the same formula and it worked. Problem was adequate follow ups
    I always liked the FJ set and thought the songs were quite strong. very different from the Frank Wilson productions but a nice change.

I think had Cindy not departed and they'd been able to promote AS, it would have done much better in the US. It did quite well in several markets like DC, Chicago, LA. not sure if it just didn't do well in other markets or if the timing was inconsistent.

At this point they should have really marketed the connection with Smokey. hype up the album. He had just left [[or was about to) from the Miracles so there was an opportunity to really make that tie in. both in their shows and on radio and on tv.

I think Lynda, Mary and Cindy would have made an exciting lineup. Lynda proves here she was more then capable of replacing Jean if necessary.. She was/is not only an excellent singer, but was charismatic as well.

People are always interested in this topic and always feel it was unfortunate that the supremes weren’t very successful after 1972; the Temptations and the Four Tops has some resurgence although the Toos didn’t last very long

Lynda is great on lead, and should have gotten more leads while she was in the group. I like to imagine her singing "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" in their live act instead of a DRATS tune. She also could have handled "Cheap Lovin'" on the Jimmy Webb album.

For the sake of consistency, a grouping of Mary, Cindy, and Lynda could have been successful after Jean left the group, but then Scherrie, and probably Susaye, would have never been in the group.

But in many respects many members never got a chance - Susaye and Lynda

And in those years there were few hits so you would think they would have wanted to investigate other options

I imagine that after mary told Barry that she didn’t want him to manage the group and that Pedro was going to manage the group, he decided to let Pedro manage the group - A decision that in the group, Motown, the fans, and the rest of the world except for mary wilson, that was a very bad idea. And it was. If Mary had kept lynda in the group, keep Cindy out and add Sherry, they would have rocked! That way lynda and Sherry could have shared leads, And then give a few ballads to Mary. Could’ve been dynamite.

To follow up what I just posted, lynda addressed the audience in a professional engaging assured show business savvy way. It’s been my experience, that only diana ross Was better at that than lynda. Lynda was very engaging with the audience, and they liked her. Mary had not yet developed into the great entertainer that she is today, so keeping her in the background except for the Ballads would have really served her well as well as the audience, and that way she wouldn’t have to do the talking and such that she still really wasn’t ready for.

I am very sorry that they let Pedro take over because not only did he not know what he was doing, but by pushing the Mary agenda, do you really hurt the group. She would have come across much much much much much much better if she pulled back about 80%, and seeing her ballads assuredly, but a little demure. She just was trying to hard and I don’t blame her, she really wanted the group to work, and she thought that putting herself out there in a strong over the top bubbly manner would help the show and her self as well. If Barry Gordy has been managing the group, he would’ve reeled them all in except for lynda.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Lynda is great on lead, and should have gotten more leads while she was in the group. I like to imagine her singing "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" in their live act instead of a DRATS tune. She also could have handled "Cheap Lovin'" on the Jimmy Webb album.
    So agree. Something like Lynda singing “SSD”.would have made an exciting and very welcome addition to the show. I have always felt the plan should have been to cut back on the DRATS tunes to help forge their own identity as the new Supremes.
    Lynda’s voice would have been perfect for the Jimmy Webb album. Even better if Mary and Cindy were backing her with no additional voices added. I find Jeans voice just to shrill on many of the songs from that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    So agree. Something like Lynda singing “SSD”.would have made an exciting and very welcome addition to the show. I have always felt the plan should have been to cut back on the DRATS tunes to help forge their own identity as the new Supremes.
    Lynda’s voice would have been perfect for the Jimmy Webb album. Even better if Mary and Cindy were backing her with no additional voices added. I find Jeans voice just to shrill on many of the songs from that album.
    just like the group didn't really properly promote the connection with Smokey, they didn't really do a good job of that with Webb or Wonder either. Part of it could be that the group was declining in the general public's view. so the ability to heavily promote the tie in with a famed producer might have been challenging.

Still, with each album, they should have revamped the show to properly promote it and promote the association with a big named producer. They could have incorporated songs or a medley of that producers other songs, updated their talking script for the show to include talking a bit about the exciting work they did, etc.

For Smokey they could have pulled the medley of Smokey songs from the special back in 70 - Don't mess with bill, track of my tears, special occasion and others. Then done full versions of FJ and AS. YWSSL was an excellent show opener too. later in the show they could have maybe done another track from the lp or a medley. Maybe Mary could have done I Keep It Hid combined with another song

For Jimmy, some of the problems IMO with the released album are 1) the added bg vocals 2) the keys are too high for Jean, he didn't probably listen to her and prepare appropriate material and 3) the song lineup is lacking many big, famous Jimmy Webb songs. And at this time, yes Lynda should have been featured. I agree Cheap Loving would work great for her, although i love jean's lead on it too

With Stevie, we'd have to just assume there was a full, accompanying album with BW. but a medley of his hits would be great too

"MacArthur Park" and "The Girl's Song" would have been great additions to the Jimmy Webb album in terms of his more famous songs. They definitely should have promoted their connections with Webb, Smokey, and Stevie.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    just like the group didn't really properly promote the connection with Smokey, they didn't really do a good job of that with Webb or Wonder either. Part of it could be that the group was declining in the general public's view. so the ability to heavily promote the tie in with a famed producer might have been challenging.

Still, with each album, they should have revamped the show to properly promote it and promote the association with a big named producer. They could have incorporated songs or a medley of that producers other songs, updated their talking script for the show to include talking a bit about the exciting work they did, etc.

For Smokey they could have pulled the medley of Smokey songs from the special back in 70 - Don't mess with bill, track of my tears, special occasion and others. Then done full versions of FJ and AS. YWSSL was an excellent show opener too. later in the show they could have maybe done another track from the lp or a medley. Maybe Mary could have done I Keep It Hid combined with another song

For Jimmy, some of the problems IMO with the released album are 1) the added bg vocals 2) the keys are too high for Jean, he didn't probably listen to her and prepare appropriate material and 3) the song lineup is lacking many big, famous Jimmy Webb songs. And at this time, yes Lynda should have been featured. I agree Cheap Loving would work great for her, although i love jean's lead on it too

With Stevie, we'd have to just assume there was a full, accompanying album with BW. but a medley of his hits would be great too
    Absolutely sup. Other then the hits, I don’t think they ever really fully promoted any new product they had out there. Folks will say it’s their legacy and puts bums on seats, but i think they should have concentrated on distancing themselves from the D.R connection. Perhaps a nod with a couple of the old hits. They were the NEW Supremes after all and had their own sound as well as hits.
    With the right material and a much calmer, more sophisticated live presentation I think the group still had plenty of shelf life left.
    As regards the Webb album, i just don’t think Jeans voice was a great fit. Lynda or Scherrie would have torn that album up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Absolutely sup. Other then the hits, I don’t think they ever really fully promoted any new product they had out there. Folks will say it’s their legacy and puts bums on seats, but i think they should have concentrated on distancing themselves from the D.R connection. Perhaps a nod with a couple of the old hits. They were the NEW Supremes after all and had their own sound as well as hits.
    With the right material and a much calmer, more sophisticated live presentation I think the group still had plenty of shelf life left.
    As regards the Webb album, i just don’t think Jeans voice was a great fit. Lynda or Scherrie would have torn that album up.
    I have a few Jean era bootleg concerts and they're good shows but not sure they're EXCITING shows. they seemed to be 3 or so of their 70s hits, a 60s medley, Can't take my eyes and then a handful of covers - Feelin Good, Love Story, Macarthur park, we've only just begun.

in 1970, just the fact that they were coming off of some big hit [[someday, ladder) and the big lineup change probably ensured people were attending concerts.

in 1971, they added the Love The One You're With segment which was nice. but again, it was pretty much the same show format - just with some songs swapped out.

They needed to do something new and different

with the RO and NWBLS albums, they sort of developed this "love the world" theme which fit great. They should have played that up more in concert - their versions of Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music and Loving Country were unfortunately crammed in a medley. Those songs are too good to shove in a medley. Plus they'd carry this theme further AND promote their albums. Add Bridge Over Troubled to the lineup too. now you have a set list of:

Together
    Stoned Love
    loving country
    everybody's got the right
    up the ladder
    someday
    bridge over troubled water
    60s medley
    O Happy Day [[which was the ending song they used in 70/71)

that's already about 30 mins. plus there'd be some sort of Mary-led song [[hopefully something other than Can't Take lol) they could also do the Groovin/People got to be free medley from Andy Williams.

any other suggestions from the group?

The Webb LP could have been wonderful....get rid of the choir, and change the song selection to include some of the already at the time Webb classics....there actually isn't one well known Webb song on the LP
    As it is..even though I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN is a independent and unrelated inclusion, that and 5.30 PLANE are the only 2 songs I want to hear frequently. I consider them Terrell classics and always include them in my play list.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    The Webb LP could have been wonderful....get rid of the choir, and change the song selection to include some of the already at the time Webb classics....there actually isn't one well known Webb song on the LP
    As it is..even though I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN is a independent and unrelated inclusion, that and 5.30 PLANE are the only 2 songs I want to hear frequently. I consider them Terrell classics and always include them in my play list.
    i agree - i often include them both. I do also like Once In The Morning. although it would have been nice if M and L had joined Jean on the 3rd verse. Maybe trading off lines or something. I do also like Cheap Lovin. but that's about it