[REMOVE ADS]

Bless You - Jimmy Ruffin could have sold tons of singles.

What do other members think about this song? I personally think that it could have been released as a single and sold nearly as many as his other great singles. It was included in his JR Sings Top 10 album and CD.

Jimmy is certainly one of the least appreciated singers that were signed to Motown. Rarely is there any mention of him on the Motown Forum.

I am surprised it was not included in the UK Anthology that was released.

What do others think?

Never really paid it much attention but very nice song

Yes I've long admired Jimmy Ruffin's version of "Bless You" [[I think it's better than Tony Orlando's original) - the producers did a great job but I expect it was only ever meant to be an album filler. That said, album fillers have turned into huge hits as we know - so would it have been a hit - probably so.

Jimmy Ruffin was an excellent singer. There were many great singers at Motown and they just seem to not be able to handle all of that talent at one time.

Listen to this!

"Bless You" is a nice song and a great example of Detroit Soul. However, I don't hear any hit potential in it. Had I worked alongside QC and felt that maybe it could be something,I'd suggest B side status. That way if DJ's decided to flip the record over and it caught fire then that's what happens. Everybody is happy that way.

I always thought World So Wide, Nowhere to Hide was one of the best cuts on that album.

Revisited the album recently and found I really liked Bless You’re

Jimmy's version of "Bless You" was an immediate favorite for me. This is a really good example of how Motown's producers, arrangers and musicians could cover an existing tune with even more style and grace than the original. Only heard the original years later [[and wasn't impressed even by half.) Wasn't this done by Dean and Weatherspoon? They really worked wonders with this and "Halfway to Paradise."
    Jimmy was to Dean and Weatherspoon what the Tops were to HDH.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 06-08-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I always thought World So Wide, Nowhere to Hide was one of the best cuts on that album.
    Me too. I was surprised to find it never had been a single. The D/W sing-along production style at full strength. I especially love that ending where EVERYBODY on the planet was singing that coda, "They say that time heals the deepest pain and the sun will shine after the rain..." That blew me away.

I was lucky enough to see Jimmy live in 1990 in UK on aMotown tour. He was in a very extrovert mood, talked proudly of his southernroots and deliberately sang in several different styles: rock’n’roll, country, pop,soul before doing his hits. He bounced around the stage, even climbed up theboxes by the stage. I realised then his talent went way beyond what we heard onrecord. Much respect. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there was a wealth ofunreleased recordings showing his breadth of talent?