[REMOVE ADS]

Link: Billboard American Top 40 Fifty Yrs Ago [[1970) Sundays Radio Countdown Listen:

Playing now ! I thought I'd share for those interested:

Every Sunday Bob counts them down in order 11:30 to 2 PST.

hear it here:

https://www.esterobayradio.org/on-air-schedule
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-07-2020 at 02:47 PM.

I like discovering new internet stations [[new to me) Thanks Boogie.

You're welcome my friend.

I'm currently listening to it. Both BALL OF CONFUSION and BAND OF GOLD entered the Top 40 this week, June 6, 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    You're welcome my friend.

I'm currently listening to it. Both BALL OF CONFUSION and BAND OF GOLD entered the Top 40 this week, June 6, 1970.
    You what creeps me out? I do not feel old at all, but I clearly remember all of those songs on the radio daily back at that time.......50 years ago! Wow!

I find it to be a bittersweet experience, you have to be in the right mood, as I am today. Other times it can be depressing, especially so many RIP.
    I'm just glad I , like you, got to live it!! Great time to be into music, it was coming at you from every angle , in every style, all these new records, it seemed endless didn't it?? The ever progressing American Top 40. No time to worry about who was what race , what age , what sex, what genitalia, what homeland, or of what combination of all of the above. It was all about the music.

So,
    this Top 40, for the week of June 6, 1970, the highest debut song at number 15 is:

The Jackson 5 , STOP THE LOVE YOU SAVE!

I find it to be a bittersweet experience, you have to be in the right mood, as I am today. Other times it can be depressing, especially so many RIP.
    I'm just glad I , like you, got to live it!! Great time to be into music, it was coming at you from every angle , in every style, all these new records, it seemed endless didn't it?? The ever progressing American Top 40. No time to worry about who was what race , what age , what sex, what genitalia, what homeland, or of what combination of all of the above. It was all about the music.

So,
    this Top 40, for the week of June 6, 1970, the highest debut song at number 15 is:

The Jackson 5 , STOP THE LOVE YOU SAVE!
    The one station that epitomized what you just said was ..........CKLW! A Canadian station that was a true powerhouse!

This episode of AB if from the same week:

hear it here:

Countdown now in progress!

The # 40 song that week was "End Of Our Road" by Marvin Gaye

Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_soul_king View Post
    The # 40 song that week was "End Of Our Road" by Marvin Gaye
    Yes ! And at #1 ..... at the other end of the road ....could it be a Motown song ? It was last week ! A couple of contenders !!

here we go ....six new songs this week.

Bye Marvin and END OF THE ROAD and The Four Tops' ITS ALL IN THE GAME ....

https://www.esterobayradio.org/

in at #39 .... Jr Walker: DO YOU SEE MY LOVE

Motown's Top 40 action this week, August 1, 1970:

Six Motown songs in the Top 40 [[15%)

Four going up, two dropping.

Two new to the Top 40:

#39 [[from #56) Jr. Walker/All-Stars- DO YOU SEE MY LOVE FOR YOU GROWING
    #37 [[from #43) Supremes - EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE

Biggest movement of all songs within the Top 40:
    Edwin Starr-WAR up 13 notches from #25 to #12

Three songs in the top 10.

#5 [[from #9)
    Stevie Wonder- SIGNED SEALED DELIVERED

#6 [[ from#4)
    J5- THE LOVE YOU SAVE

#8 [[ from #6)
    Temptations - BALL OF CONFUSION

Two "Motown" songs by proxy:

Freda Payne BAND OF GOLD
    #4 [[ #3 last week)
    Flaming Embers WEST BOUND #9
    #26 [[ #30 last week)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-03-2020 at 02:21 PM.

btw
    each week's edition of the Top 40 is archived for an additional two weeks and is available to listen to at a preferred time :

https://www.radiofreeamerica.com/sho...ommunity-radio

hear it here:

Another week , another chart. Looks like there's some Supremes/Diana Ross drama this edition ! ....

And The J5 drop out of the top 10, with Edwin Starr taking their place.....

Playing now !

hear it here:

Another week , another chart chock full of movers and shakers.

This week The Spinners are on board the Top 40 for the last time under a Motown banner. [[does that mean a final farewell for this talented group?)
    Seven separate Motown acts are represented on this week's chart , with one bursting into the Top 10 and one attempting a turn at the very top [[?) ....

Goodbye to the J5 and their big hit, THE LOVE YOU SAVE, their third #1 single in a row , [[could they possibly do it again next time?)

Junior Walker is also exiting with his last Top 40 visit of his career with the titillatingly titled : DO YOU SEE MY LOVE FOR YOU GROWING

Gets better with each listen. I think a #32 peak was unjust.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-30-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Junior Walker is also exiting with his last Top 40 visit of his career with the titillatingly titled : DO YOU SEE MY LOVE FOR YOU GROWING

Gets better with each listen. I think a #32 peak was unjust.
    I agree Boogie

hear it here:

New week, new chart ! September 5, 1970

Motown in a bit a holding pattern this week, save one chartbuster.
    Edwin Starrs WAR can't go any higher , sitting mightily at #1 for a second week.
    Rare Earth's I'M LOSING YOU reaches into the Top 30 at #27 [[from #31).
    The Supremes almost break the Top 20 with EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE increasing 2 spots to #21.
    Spinners up a decent five notches to #33 with IT'S A SHAME

No new Motown music enters the Top 40 this week. BALL OF CONFUSION leaves the Top 40 as well as the Hot 100 entirely.

Biggest mover : Diana Ross, in just five weeks on the Hot 100; is at #2!!! with AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN [[ up from#9)

TomatoTom: Regrettably Jr Walker repeats his chart position this week at #41, just outside the Top 40 after having a peak week at #32. [[GROWING peaked at #3 Soul )
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-06-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Hey Boogiedown,
    Thanks for the countdown link. The Billboard Hot 100 chart for Sept. 5th 1970 was in my news feed this morning:

hear it here:

Here we are at September 19, 1970 and Motown is having a very good week:

What can be twice as good for Motown than having America's current #1 song? ... how about having the #1 and #2 songs.... Edwin Starr stepping aside one place to allow Diana Ross her turn at the top [[or did she push him off ...ha ha).

And an amazing chart entry for The Jackson Five , entering the entire Hot 100 with I'LL BE THERE at #40, breaking the Top 40 instantly. Star power!

Another Motown act is also entering the Top 40 this week at #35... a new name and Motown's only [[?) Canadian charter. [[=?)

That makes a total of eight Motown records in the Top 40 ....20% of the chart.

Some records showing a bit of a stalling , The Supremes descending two notches to #29, The Spinners ITS A SHAME sitting steady at #25 for a second week [[yes that's a shame), Rare Earth managing a creep of two notches to #14, and its disappointing to notice The Four Tops hovering below the Top 40 at #49, an advancement of only three places, with STILL WATER.

{Meanwhile in Britain,

a bit of a surprise for Motown, they have the #1 record [[ up from #2) with the resurrection of an older Smokey album cut , TEARS OF A CLOWN, yes you could say a bit of a miracle.
    There are six Motown songs in the British Top 50 chart.

HDH are having a great week there too, with two songs in the Top 10: Freda's BAND OF GOLD zooms up from #36 to #6, and CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD'S GIVE ME JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME is still Top 5 , moving up now to #4.}

--thanks for the chart Dylan !!!--
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-20-2020 at 03:27 PM.

hear it here:

OK Here we go , fifty years ago, October 3 ,1970:

Nothing better than topping the chart [[ ain't no other position high enough) , Diana Ross now doing so for the third consecutive week, and considering the heavy hitters hot on her heels, no small feat . One of which is The Jackson Five , only 3 weeks on the Hot 100 and here they are at #6! Will they advance to #1? "I'LL BE THERE" I hear them saying. Rare Earth's I'm LOSING YOU right behind them at #7 , up two.
    Edwin Starr's WAR still in the Top 10 as well, now at #9. Impressive, four of the Top Ten songs from Motown.

A couple of Motown sleepers have suddenly taken legs: Spinners ITS A SHAME leaps up nine notches to #15 this week and The Four Tops have one of the charts biggest movers with STILL WATER [[LOVE) bolting into the Top 20 at #20 from #39, an advancement of nineteen spots.

INDIANA WANTS ME looses a bit of steam , resting at #23 from #26.

There are no new Motown songs entering the Top 40 this week,
    [[goodbye Stevie with SIGNED SEALED DELIVERED), although this sure sounds like a Smokey tune: ....

The Five Flights UP in at
    #39 on Bell Records
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-04-2020 at 03:51 PM.

hear it here:

New week, new chart ! October 17, 1970

Last week Neil Diamond squeezed in a week at the top with CRACKLIN' ROSIE, but Motown has wasted no time in reclaiming the top position , with yet another new #1, this time by the J5 with I'LL BE THERE. Former #1s, Diana Ross' AINT NO and Edwin Starr's WAR , still hold places on the chart , #7 and #22 respectively.
    Back into the Top 40 this week , Whitfield's Temptations, with UNGENTA ZA ULIMWENGU[[UNITE THE WORLD) at #38

The Spinners' ITS A SHAME advances one spot now to #14 and The Four Tops STILL WATER also moves up one notch to #18

Meanwhile , Motowns hottest record on the chart , moving up 11 spaces , more than any other record in the Top 40 is INDIANA WANTS ME by R Dean Taylor, shooting up just shy of the Top 10 at #11.

Other Motown related action in the Hot 100 : a remake of a Four Tops hit by OC Smith is peaking this week at #52:

)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-18-2020 at 02:35 PM.

hear it here:

Another week another ever changing chart !

This week there's a bit of a cog at the top, the Top 10 mostly shuffles, hard to get movement when there's so many equally strong songs crowding together at once. An advantage of racing up the chart as did I'LL BE THERE, is spending more of your chart life at your peak. The J5 sit yet again for their third week at the very top.

INDIANA WANTS ME nudges up one more space to #7 . Not bad for a first record by R Dean Taylor , can't wait to hear what's in store for the follow-up!
    After a bold jump last week to #11, STILL WATERS remains in the same place again this week. Only one song managed to find an opening on this week's Top Ten and Glen Campbell grabbed the spot from the Four Tops, jumping over them to take the #10 rank with ITS ONLY MAKE BELIEVE. Diana Ross had that spot last week and she slips to #16 this week.
    Rare Earth knows they're losing airplay , but they are not quite ready to depart the chart this week clinging to a Top 40 position at #32, with [[ I KNOW) I'M LOSING YOU.
    The Temptations are struggling with their outing this time with UNGENA 7A ULIMWENGU [[Unite the World) inching up two spots to #33.

The Spinners IT'S A SHAME makes its Top 40 exit while two new Motown entries break through this week! Stevie Wonder just makes it with HEAVEN HELP US ALL at #40.

The big thrill for Motown has to be the resuscitation of Smokey's older composition , TEARS OF A CLOWN, entering the top 40 at an impressive #27. That would have made it this weeks highest Top 40 debut were it not for another surging hit that blasts in this week ten points higher onto the chart at #17 !
    :

Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-02-2020 at 05:27 AM.

hear it here:

hear it here:

Another week means another new chart!

With plenty of Motown action:

The Jackson Five's I'LL BE THERE has now been #1 for five weeks and has become Motown's most successful single of their Detroit era, replacing Gaye's I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE. Will it hold up this week for a sixth time? Or will The Carpenters finally get a turn at the top after sitting for weeks at #2 with their self-acclaimed signature song WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN? [[Or could another set of youngsters make the leap this week to #1?)

Also pushing toward #1: The Miracles TEARS OF A CLOWN is now a top 5 hit [[ #4 from #7) replacing INDIANA WANTS ME which peaked at #5, currently dropping one to #6.
    Another Motown Top 40 hit that has peaked and continues to descend: STILL WATER maxed out at #11, last week it dropped to #18 and this week its #21.

Midway on the chart , climbing up to #16 from #20, Stevie's HEAVEN HELP US ALL.

Most notable this week , the huge debut of The Supremes STONED LOVE , entering the Top 40 at #22, making it the Top 40's highest debut record and Motown's only new entry.

Before it leaves the chart, now at #35 after peaking earlier at #24, how about a listen to this post -Motown HDH enterprise as amongst the most "classic Motown" sounding songs currently charting:

Freda Payne DEEPER AND DEEPER
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-22-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Great thread.

Thank you for your kind words SatansBlues!

Originally Posted by Boogiedown

hear it here:

Another week another shifting of the hits.

Lots of action on the Top 40, some big records have arrived , however not much of it from the Motown camp, no big movers and no new entries from them for a second week.

This is not to say Motown is having a bad week, what label wouldn't envy having three of your five Top 40 records in the week's Top 10.

Most impressive is Smokey's TEARS OF A CLOWN persistently holding at #2 for a second week while eyeing that one move to the number one spot if only The Partridge Family would yield, yet they hold solidly at the top for the third week with I THINK I LOVE YOU.

The Jackson Five's I"LL BE THERE , while no longer at #1, still remains a strong record and stays in the Top 5, dropping just one number to #4. Stevie Wonder is Motown's other top 10 act, HEAVEN HELP US ALL repeats at #9.

That means R Dean Taylor has dropped out of the Top 10 plunging from #7 to #18.

That leaves one more Motown tune in the Top 40 to observe this week , The Supremes befuddling STONED LOVE, which two weeks ago was the chart's premiere new arrival , entering the chart at #22. But the following week it rose only one notch to #21 and this week it repeats the pattern and is up just one more place to #20. Most curious , but as mentioned there are some exciting competitive records currently competing for chart space.

George Harrison's MY SWEET LORD enters the chart this week at #13 , Van Morrison's DOMINO enters at #27, as well as KNOCK THREE TIMES by Dawn in
    at #33.

And several songs make strong gains , two take giant steps to barge into the Top 10: Fifth Dimension's ONE LESS BELL TO ANSWER [[ from#25 to #7) and NO MATTER WHAT by Badfinger [[from #24 to #8).
    Other strong acts this week include Chicago, Santana, Eric Clapton, Neil Young. Seems to be a bit of a rockers spurt.

Looking further at STONED LOVE: two other Hot 100 charting songs have similar titles: Barbra Streisand is trying to break into the top 40 for the first time in 5 years with STONEY END [[almost there , six weeks in , now at #43)

and then there's this curious song at #82 , STONED COWBOY by a group out of Florida:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-06-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Starting now

hear it here:

DEC 19 1970

Motown is closing out 1970 as strong as ever, looking at their Top 40 singles: chartwise, the year looks to have been one of their best in their history, and certainly from the perspective of commandeering the #1 spot on Billboard's Hot 100.
    They had a total of seven #1s* that coveted the top spot for a total of 18 weeks or one third of the year, that's amazing in of itself but especially considering the competition.

Much of Motown's success rests squarely on the shoulders of The J5 who can't seem to miss. All four of their first four releases were #1 during 1970. Can they possibly continue their run in 1971?

It must be an especially fine year for Diana Ross who begins the year just off a number one record under the DRATS banner and then within the year has a #1 record [[AINT NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH) with her name only on it [[although not only her voice). The Supremes aren't complaining either as their 1970 year ends with a Top 10 record with only their name on it [[and only their voices).

EDWIN STARR, a fairly recent Motown acquisition, in the hands of Motown wizard Norman Whitfield, likely has found some peace in the summer of '70 by having achieved a #1 record for three weeks with his signature tune WAR.

That's six number ones.

I WANT YOU BACK 1 wk
    ABC 2 wks
    LOVE YOU SAVE 2 wks
    WAR 3 wks
    AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH 3 wks
    I'LL BE THERE 5wks

Number seven is #1 this week:

Motown's #1 toppers in 1970 continue this week, Dec 19, 1970 with Smokey Robinson and The Miracles TEARS OF A CLOWN holding #1 for a second straight week.

I don't know if they were stoned or what , but somehow the Supremes have snapped out of their complacent mid-chart posturing and in two weeks have now catapulted into the Top Ten with STONED LOVE [[ up five to #7) with some help from the J5 who surrender their stronghold of a Top Ten placement with I'LL BE THERE and make room by free-falling from #5 to #14.
    Stevie Wonder is nearby at #16 for a second week with HEAVEN HELP US ALL.

Typically we think of duets as being two solo artists joining up to share a tune , but leave it to Motown to amp it up, loading the stage with two vocal group acts belting it out in unison, as happens this week with RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH by The Four Tops and The Supremes , two weeks in and at #30 up five places.

That brings us to Motown's biggest [[ and only ) newcomer to the Top 40 this week, in fact its the biggest new song in the Top 40 this week, entering at number 32 is Gladys Knight & The Pips IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN .

Since we're focusing on success this week , there's another label that is likely popping the champagne cork for doing big things on the chart. Bell records has three songs on the Top 10 this week. One has already hit the top spot for three weeks: The Partridge Family's I THINK I LOVE YOU, and two seem likely to do the same and are exerting great effort to do just that:
    Tony Orlando and Dawn's KNOCK THREE TIMES busts the door down of the Top 10 entering at #6 from #20!
    and this "BELL" release from the Fifth Dimension is up one from #4 to #3:

[[*Eight singles if we include DRATS' SOMEDAY WE'll BE TOGETHER which was number one exiting 1969 and was #1 in CASHBOX for their Jan 3 chart)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-21-2020 at 12:04 AM.