[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye's "Volume Two" How Rare?

A couple of years ago, I spotted this great 8 CD set featuring Marvin's best work from 1966-70, including all three albums with Tammi, the Kim Weston album, and four of his solo albums. At the time I noticed there was also a Volume 1 set covering his work from 1961-65 but I was not as interested in that.

To the best of my recollection, I only paid somewhere in the range of $20-25 for this set, but now it seems like you can't find it at all and if you can it is much more expensive. So was this a limited edition? Why was it so cheap? Anybody else have it?

And more importantly, how many more similar Motown products are out there and any chance we will continue to get more? I would jump for example at a Vandellas, Supremes, or Tops box set like this and maybe even some others.

Sounds like you may be referring to the release of Marvin Gaye's albums which covered his Motown career and which were released simultaneously in vinyl and CD format. The CDs were in replica card covers faithful for the most part to the original album release. There were 3 volumes. I have all the CD sets which were very reasonably priced. I don't think they're particularly rare as often see one or other volume up for sale but prices can vary.

The Jackson 5 had a box set of all their albums on CD which sells for silly money these days.

Then there have been 3 boxed sets of 5 classic albums in card mini LP format covering The Temptations, The Jackson 5 and British Motown Chartbusters.

Over the years there have been odd packages available containing 2 to 5 albums [[mostly but not always in their standard CD jewel cases. These were just packages of CDs that were otherwise available singly though again a Marvin Gaye set I have does come in card album covers.
    Several artists were covered but not Supremes, Vandellas or Four Tops.

In Japan [[almost) complete runs of albums in CD mini LP format have been available on Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross and Diana Ross & The Supremes [[to a lesser extent as they miss "Meet The Supremes" and their themed,live and greatest hits albums". Mini LP storage boxes were also made so complete packages do come up for sale but expect to pay big money.

There were similar mini LP sets on The Jackson 5 and also Michael Jackson. These sets were actually 2fers but you still got all the individual album covers.

Of course for Martha and The Vandellas the UK 2fsrs from around 2001 Re still the best option is all their studio albums were included on 4 separate 2fers. Also available this way were many albums by Four Tops, DRATS, Tempts, J5, Gladys, Marvin, Edwin, Isleys, Jr Walker
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-06-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Back in 2013 box sets of "complete" albums from The Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, and Diana Ross appeared on sites such as HMV Japan and Amazon Germany with a future release date. A member of this forum spotted them and it was discussed for a while, they were even made available for pre-order on Amazon Germany.

The Jackson 5 set was released and Universal made a video to show what was in it and how it looked. I had all the titles, for me it was just a repackaging so I wasn't interested, but for someone who perhaps only had a greatest hits cd and wanted more it would have been a good way to pick up all those titles - as I recall the box was originally offered at a very reasonable price.

The release date for the Diana Ross box was pushed back a couple of times on Amazon and then finally it just said that it was not available, as far as I know it never came out.

The Marvin Gaye box was originally said to be a single 25-cd set, perhaps it was pulled and this 3-volume thing finally came out in its place?

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...lbums-Box-Sets
    Last edited by calvin; 06-06-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks guys. As usual you are a wealth of information.

I think this [[Marvin) concept was great, along with the Original Album Series that made the rounds a few years ago, most of which consisted of five CDs. They all just seemed like a bargain, getting that much music for such a limited price.

But sadly it does seem as if such things have slowed down, which is mainly what I was asking. I can think of sooooooooooo many more artists who would deserve such treatment, but I guess the demand just is not there.

I was hoping that Crimson Productions "Gold" series would catch on a little bit more than it looks like it will , but maybe there are licensing issues that impact these things. So in many cases, I guess our individual vinyl albums will have to suffice.

Yes, back around 10 years ago or so labels were putting out a lot of multi-cd sets on artists at low prices, usually working out to around £2 per cd. I think they were doing this because sales of single cds at regular prices from their back catalogues had petered out. These boxes - at least the several that I bought - just had the same cds that had been on sale individually for years before [[ie no remastering or any changes to the music content) so costs should have been very low, it was basically just repackaging.

As you mention, there were a lot of 5-cd boxes, even when it didn't really suit the artist [[say for someone who had released 7 cds, they would just leave 2 out). Maybe that was because they could use the same standard-size box for many different releases, helping to keep costs as low as possible?

I just searched my emails a bit, I see that I pre-ordered the Diana Ross box from Amazon UK. I wasn't sure if I wanted it [[there was very little information about it) but I guess I wanted the chance to lock in a good price in case I decided that I did, and if not I could always cancel. Amazon UK cancelled my order in November 2014 stating in a form email that "Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available."
    Last edited by calvin; 06-06-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

I was hoping that Crimson Productions "Gold" series would catch on a little bit more than it looks like it will , but maybe there are licensing issues that impact these things. So in many cases, I guess our individual vinyl albums will have to suffice.
    The "Gold" series is a different kettle of fish - I don't think it's a collection of albums is it?

There have been lots of CD releases of albums over the years - the ones with the faithful reproduction album covers in card are, in the main, Japanese mini LPs of which there are many. In these series there have been albums by Four Tops [["Second Album" and "Reach Out"), a Martha 2Fer "Dance Party"and "Heat Wave" which includes both album covers, as well as those mentioned in my previous post.

Also in mini LP format are the Culture Factory CDs which include most of Rare Earth's albums, several DRATS and Diana Ross albums, plus Four Tops "On Top" and "Reach Out", Stevie Wonder "Uptight", Tammi Terrell "Irresistible" and Temptations "All Directions" for example.

But in the main these are individual CDs [[or 2fers).

The card cover CD sets that you referred to initially do provide great value and seem to be available OK still. I'd like to get hold of The Temptations earlier offering so as to have "Live" and "In A Mellow Mood" in card cover format. They would complement the UK 5 CD set nicely.

Can see my boxed sets here if you wish .... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57714599077451

Correct that the Gold series is a Best of package as opposed to a collection of albums. I was just lumping them all together in the context of a lot of music for not so much money. Thanks for sharing your photos. Some impressive stuff on there. I own the Tempts five CD set and I think I bought it even after I bought Marvin's.

The twofers were wonderful in their day as well, especially considering that even some of the second-tier artists were included. I guess where I am coming from is that I am a bargain shopper and I appreciate volume, so I will take a 2 or 3 or more CD set any day of the week over a single CD, especially the ones that only have 10 or less songs, when anybody knows that a CD can handle 20 or more.

Take our lovely Miss Martha Reeves for example. After she left Motown for her solo career, she was disrespected or poorly represented as the case may be, with each succeeding release and it was all I could do as a devoted fan to buy that Gotta Keep Moving CD with its paltry six songs......but I realize I have gotten off topic. Dinner time anyway!!!!